• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul 7.62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2023
    Bloomington, IN.
    Your choice in rifle scopes for hunting. Your hunting with it means you have to carry it. What are you going to pick, FFP or SFP?
    Does weight have anything to do with how you hunt or where you hunt.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    if every other scope you have is FFP stick with it. Unless yous shooting animals at 1000 plus yards the second focal plane are a bit simpler, cheaper. Most mid west is under 200 yards on large game. Ffp isnt beneficial at those ranges compared to a second focal.

Shawn12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2022
    Columbus
    I am relatively new here to Indiana and the Midwest. I spent the last 7 years in New Mexico where 350 yards seemed to be about the average shot, but it was not uncommon to find opportunities are limited by distance quickly. On my hunting rifles there my priorities were tracking repeatability, and weight, with just about everything else coming in lower. I found that most lightweight hunting scopes are second focal plane, and I did not have an issue as I dial for elevation and if the shot is long enough to need windage holds then I will be at the max magnification and the subtensions will be accurate. My favorite hunting scope for out west is Leupold VX5-HD 3-15x44 at 19.7 ounces, it's a sweet scope. But I have a couple Zeiss Conquest V4s because of sales and availability once upon a time, and I like them ok too, nothing to complain about. Also while hunting with SFP at low magnification your reticle is still easily visible and if you need to bring the rifle up for something closer and quick you don't have a super tiny hair reticle.
    I find it more useful to have first focal plane scope for long range target shooting, or PRS when jumping from one target to another quickly you always have the option to use the reticle at any magnification and if you happen to be shooting long range without a spotter you can zoom out a little to get a larger field of view to spot your misses easier.
    Here’s a picture of my wife in October 2021 in NM Elk season. Shot was just over 300 yards the rifle was Christensen Arms Ridgeline bedded with Score High Bedding compound, topped with a Zeiss Conquest V4 shooting a 212 ELD-X w/ H1000 @ 2950 FPS
    1680533225963.png

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I am relatively new here to Indiana and the Midwest. I spent the last 7 years in New Mexico where 350 yards seemed to be about the average shot, but it was not uncommon to find opportunities are limited by distance quickly. On my hunting rifles there my priorities were tracking repeatability, and weight, with just about everything else coming in lower. I found that most lightweight hunting scopes are second focal plane, and I did not have an issue as I dial for elevation and if the shot is long enough to need windage holds then I will be at the max magnification and the subtensions will be accurate. My favorite hunting scope for out west is Leupold VX5-HD 3-15x44 at 19.7 ounces, it's a sweet scope. But I have a couple Zeiss Conquest V4s because of sales and availability once upon a time, and I like them ok too, nothing to complain about. Also while hunting with SFP at low magnification your reticle is still easily visible and if you need to bring the rifle up for something closer and quick you don't have a super tiny hair reticle.
    I find it more useful to have first focal plane scope for long range target shooting, or PRS when jumping from one target to another quickly you always have the option to use the reticle at any magnification and if you happen to be shooting long range without a spotter you can zoom out a little to get a larger field of view to spot your misses easier.
    Here’s a picture of my wife in October 2021 in NM Elk season. Shot was just over 300 yards the rifle was Christensen Arms Ridgeline bedded with Score High Bedding compound, topped with a Zeiss Conquest V4 shooting a 212 ELD-X w/ H1000 @ 2950 FPS
    View attachment 267389
    Welcome to Indiana S12. I'm glad to have another shooter in the Hoosier State.

Top Bottom