• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Id like to enter the world of small game hunting with an air rifle and was wondering what a good sub $300 air rifle would be? Id like it to be a spring operated one as I dont want to mess with air cartridges. a couple I have been looking at are made by Gamo one is the Gamo whisper and the other is a big cat..both .177 or should I go with something in a .22? also..what type of killing range can I expect out of an air rifle? is it possible to find a sub $300 air rifle and get 30-40 or even 50 effective yards out of it?

daclamdvm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    What are you planning to hunt? I can't say I've been overly impressed with airgun hunting. I have an older Webley air rifle, 177 caliber, 850 FPS and usually it takes a few shots to get a squirrel to even look over at me. The 22s are supposed to be better, and I know the newer guns are higher power, but I'm not sure I'd go after much more than a bird with one, and for me there's no bird that will sit still long enough at close enough range that an airgun would be useful for me. Maybe a bunny at close range, but I'd watch those squirrels. They'll take your arm off if you're not careful. Now grasshoppers are another story. In that case, anything accurate will do.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Get a Beeman at WalMart for $125, it has .177 and .22 barrels and you can see just whether it is for you or not. I like mine, but now I want to get a better one. Nothing wrong with what I have except its a $125. It shoots a halfdollar at 25 yards over 75% of the time with the .177, the .22 actually shoots pretty well also.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I have an RSW, 6x scope, shoots .177 at about 1100 fps, anything to 45 yards is in trouble. I have taken raccoons at up to 25, squirrels and chippy's too 45, very quiet, very fun. It's heavier than my Ruger 17, but safer for in-town rodent control.

pokey308

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    New Palestine, IN
    Whats wrong with a pump? Here is also an interesting thing on air rifles. In order to get them to shoot to their fullest you will need to pump anywhere from 500-1500 rounds through them to get them to start grouping consistantly. Also you will need to try several types of pellets and brands. I hunt with my dads stupid old 5mm benjimen blue streak. With 10 pumps I can put down rabbits and squirrels up to 25yrds. If you want to use it strickly for hunting get something with over 1000fps.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I recently bout a Remington .177 air rifle. Shot a squirrel about 25-30 yards from back door. Killed easily. I was really impressed. Its a long way from my old daisy pump gun. Only drawback is its about as loud as a .22 rifle. Not sure what I was expecting but just not such a "real gun" experience.

I've only shot it 2 times. Once **** on a paper plate and the pellet went where I wanted. The second shot dropped that annoying squirrel. Can't speak to groupings but seems adequate to me.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Thanks folks. I think I might throw in an extra $100 and get this one.
    Gamo Hunter Extreme Air Rifle .177 - 1600 FPS w/3-9x50 IR A/O Scope
    it will be used mainly for squirrel hunting. my grandparents have alot of squirrels in their back yard where they dont like me using a shotgun as it spooks the horses..I usually hunt them with my recurve bow but I think an air gun would be fun. not quit the challenge as a bow but should still be pretty challenging.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    Mine is a Crosman storm,bought at Devil mart,walmart for my son,its 177 caliber and I used it to hunt squirrels late last year and with the pba pellets its shooting almost 1200 ft per sec. and out to 45 yards in light wind squirrels are dead. I think it cost about 125 including taxes and 500 pellets.
    The package also included a centerpoint 3x9 scope.
    It is currently in service with my dad in town,shooting city dwelling rabbits that destruct the retirees flower garden.He is 2 for 2 at about 20 yards

Last edited:

eears

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Thanks for the information on air rifles. I have an old beeman with a 3x9 scope mounted on it that I'll have to try on some squirrels this fall. I didn't realize they would take small game. My kids and I had lots of fun shooting targets. It is accurate but heavy.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    When your'e ready to move up, the airguns are out there (although I know next to nothing about them). I have a friend who has had a fellow hunt deer on his land with an air rifle. He used a .50 cal charged with SCUBA tanks.

stejennings7065

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    In my opinion Gamo is the way to go. Everyone i know loves them. I have a Gamo 220 that shoots 1000fps. With one 1000fps it is powerfull enough to kill most small game and give you range. I have had it for 10 years no problems and still powerful. I have taken rabbits, squirrels, and even racoons. Head shots have the best results. As far as accuracy goes the best ammo i have used for consistancy is crossman pointed hunting pellets. At 50yds my grouping is about an inch. The thing I love about my air rifle is the ability to take squirrels one right after another cause it is so quiet.

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    I would not get a spring air rifle. Although I've killed a few pests with my Gamo, they were lucky shots. I can shoot my Benjamin Sheridan pump rifle much more accurately than my Gamo spring air. Granted the Gamo is more powerful, but it has too long a lock time making it extremely sensitive to hold.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    You might do well to check out the Crosman/Remington, NPSS (Nitro Piston Short Stroke) air rifle $299.00. Do a Google search for "npss air rifle". You will find one or two videos there also.
    This is going to be my next air rifle. I've been looking at and reading about it for some time now. I have several air rifles already both break barrel and pump (no CO2) and I seem to like the break barrels better for most uses.

Top Bottom