• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunaddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    Greenfield, IN
    I am what you would call a robust individual and comfortable carry options were limited for me. My kids purchased a Ghost belly band for me at Christmas and it has been a game changer for me. I didn’t really care to open carry and I found the 3 o’clock and 6 o’clock to be a little uncomfortable because of my size. I have lost 60 pounds since last year so it is becoming a little easier in the 6 o’ clock, but I really feel like the belly band has been the best solution all around for me. Just kind of curious if there may be something else out there for us larger fellows, I may have missed?

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I am what you would call a robust individual and comfortable carry options were limited for me. My kids purchased a Ghost belly band for me at Christmas and it has been a game changer for me. I didn’t really care to open carry and I found the 3 o’clock and 6 o’clock to be a little uncomfortable because of my size. I have lost 60 pounds since last year so it is becoming a little easier in the 6 o’ clock, but I really feel like the belly band has been the best solution all around for me. Just kind of curious if there may be something else out there for us larger fellows, I may have missed?
    I’m what some may call husky. Others just call me fat. I’ve been carrying a side arm for over 50 years and have only found the need for a good quality leather holster at 3 to 5 o’clock with appropriate cover shirt or jacket. A fellow farmer I‘ve known for 20+ years only recently (this winter) found out I carry a gun.

Recently on INGO I’ve noticed an increasing number of individuals that seem to “need” a name or brand name to be attached to there personal carry options. That’s a bunch of crap. Find a method, style, type, name, that works “FOR YOU”. If it works, it works. It may take some time, but the end result is what you are looking for isn’t it?.

What is the name brand of your range bag? I’ve never heard such an ******** question in my life. Like going to a range is a bragging contest. My bags better than yours.

Don’t know how robust you are, but I’m currently about 300 lbs.
    Kore belt, today, Bianchi holster. American made Jean jacket. Been to town twice today, no body knows. It ain’t rocket surgery, it ain’t a modeling contest. It’s your life or the guy that wants to harm you or your loved ones.

Rant over. :faint:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I'm 6 ft 1... and 270 or 275. I carry at 3 o'clock, outside the waist. Typically with a t-shirt as a cover but sometimes I OC.
    Biggest thing for me is the fact that I use a good stiff belt. Mine happens to be a Bio-belt, but a good stiff gunbelt is key. Also a good (not flimsy or bouncy) holster. Find one you like. Unfortunately, that means in a lot of cases, (unless you're lucky) you'll end up with several in a drawer (or box) that didn't work out before you find that perfect one. Some ride higher, some lower, some have a different cant, or none at all... The variety is staggering. However, once you find one you like, You will hardly notice you have your sidearm on you... even if you are packing a full size piece with a light mounted.

Glock 45 with TRL7.JPG

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I'm 6 ft 1... and 270 or 275. I carry at 3 o'clock, outside the waist. Typically with a t-shirt as a cover but sometimes I OC.
    Biggest thing for me is the fact that I use a good stiff belt. Mine happens to be a Bio-belt, but a good stiff gunbelt is key. Also a good (not flimsy or bouncy) holster. Find one you like. Unfortunately, that means in a lot of cases, (unless you're lucky) you'll end up with several in a drawer (or box) that didn't work out before you find that perfect one. Some ride higher, some lower, some have a different cant, or none at all... The variety is staggering. However, once you find one you like, You will hardly notice you have your sidearm on you... even if you are packing a full size piece with a light mounted.

View attachment 348564
    Ya, but what time o day were you on the scale? :stickpoke:

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    6'2 and 320 lbs here. Prefer IWB carry, but just can't get comfortable with it. 4 o'clock position seems to work best, but after a while I can feel the gun starting to dig into my "Dunlop spare tire". I guess I will have to go to OWB, but I rarely wear an overshirt or light jacket and I am not a fan of open carry (just my preference, turn off the flames). I would really like to find a comfortable way to carry IWB, but I am not buying 20 holsters and hope I can find the right one for me.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    6'2 and 320 lbs here. Prefer IWB carry, but just can't get comfortable with it. 4 o'clock position seems to work best, but after a while I can feel the gun starting to dig into my "Dunlop spare tire". I guess I will have to go to OWB, but I rarely wear an overshirt or light jacket and I am not a fan of open carry (just my preference, turn off the flames). I would really like to find a comfortable way to carry IWB, but I am not buying 20 holsters and hope I can find the right one for me.

I don't quite understand the open carry comment. The grip of the gun can be seen whether it's IWB or OWB without a cover garment. There are plenty of OWB holsters that hug the body close enough to be covered by just a T-shirt provided it's untucked.

I primarily carry OWB these days and like a kydex blade style holster with dual clips. It keeps everything nice and tight to the body. My EDC is a VP9 with Streamlight WML and Holosun red dot.

Screenshot_20240423-074326~2.png
    Screenshot_20240423-074343~2.png
    Screenshot_20240423-074358~2.png

Last edited:

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I don't quite understand the open carry comment. The grip of the gun can be seen whether it's IWB or OWB without a cover garment. There are plenty of OWB holsters that hug the body close enough to be covered by just a T-shirt provided it's untucked.

I primarily carry OWB these days and like a kydex blade style holster with dual clips. It keeps everything nice and tight to the body. My EDC is a VP9 with Streamlight WML and Holosun red dot.
    Simple... Indiana allows for both methods of carry. As stated... I carry "Typically with a t-shirt as a cover" meaning it would be untucked... "but sometimes I OC" meaning my shirt would be tucked in. There are times these days when I either just don't care if people see the gun, or I may have another garment such as a jacket over my shirt.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I've been wearing a Daltec Force, Super bio-belt for more than 2 years. I wear it everyday everywhere I go and it still looks like new. I've gone through dozens of belts until I found this one and I threw all the others out.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    ProTip for fluffy fellers:

Your pants MUST be the correct size. And they must be worn at the correct height.

Many of us do what we can to squeeze into pants that are too small 'round. Your natural waistline hits at the area between the top of your hip bone and the bottom of your rib cage. This is both where you should measure AND where you should wear them.

Once you determine your actual size, THEN you have to size UP a step to make room for a gun carried IWB.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I use a good leather belt, not a dedicated gun belt, although I'd love to have one. I use an Alien Gear IWB, and it rides very well for me (I'm fat) and I have had it for quite some time. I paid $39 for it from AG, and have traded the shell four times when I have changed my EDC.. I have gotten my money's worth, and then some. I have a few cheapo IWB Amazon Kydex holsters for when I need to slap a holster on after work (can't carry there) and want to run to the store, and want something bigger than my P32.

NickL45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    I've been a bigger guy all of my life and know the stuggles with finding a comfortable way to carry. I've pocket carried a lot over that last 20 years and have always found that comfortable.

It's already been mentioned, but the MOST important thing to consider in carrying is a sturdy, stiff, and proper fitting belt. Without that, it seems like a never ending struggle to keep everything supported. I've been wearing a Hank's Leather Goods belt for years and it has been great. When I carry OWB I've been using a DeSantis Variable GRD for my Springfiled Hellcat Pro or a Mini Slide for my Hellcat. They are both very comfortable and ride just right to conceal under a light shirt. I've also used a Slim-Tuk for those handguns for IWB. They're comfortable, but it's just not my preferred carry style.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If comfortable was my requirement, heavy or not, it would be a shoulder holster. I'm 5' 11" and 218# and iwb is uncomfortable because I'm kinda short-waisted. CZ 75 pokes me in the bottom rib. Murse goes with me most days. OWB about 4 o'clock if I need hands free.

Bighoss91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2020
    Milton
    I'm 6'1" about 310lbs and have gone to iwb appendix carry. The keys are a good belt as mentioned and a low riding holster. I recommend jx tactical fat guy, I carry a g19 in mine, or north coast tactical undercover, canik mc9 in that one. I've been carrying this way going on 2 years. I'm lucky enough to be allowed to carry at work. When I switched from open carry to appendix it took my boss about 2 weeks to ask why I quit carrying, so I let them know I didn't.

Top Bottom