• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    I live in a subdivision where all the houses were built around the same time. A few of the neighbors have had the capacitor go out in their HVAC unit and I want to buy one, because I know mine will be going bad soon too. :):

Just want to be proactive and have it on hand for when it does. I have a photo of it, but searching online, I cant figure out exactly which one I need to order. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

capacitor.jpg

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    Thank you all for the great advice. One more question. For as little as the cost is, would it be ok to order an extra and store until it is needed again, or will it go bad after a few years?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thank you all for the great advice. One more question. For as little as the cost is, would it be ok to order an extra and store until it is needed again, or will it go bad after a few years?

They will store up just fine.

Thing is, a capacitor failing might be the cap but could also be an indicator there are deeper issues.

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    Thank you churchmouse. I am just trying to be proactive. I have a local guy come out once a year and give it a once over. The unit is only about 7 years old and in good working order. Just thought having one on hand might be a good idea. I would have it on hand, but still have him come out and inspect it if it ever goes out. Just dont want to be without HVAC for a few days if I can't get someone to look at it if it is just the capacitor.

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    This. The last part of troubleshooting that never seems to get completed. WHY.
    Thank you too ChristianPatriot for your help. I would still have someone come out and look it over. I know it is better to have a professional look at it than try to fix it and really screw it up. Then it would cost more in the long run.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    So let's start with what the cap does. It's creating a phase shift in one of the windings to simulate a rotating field. If it's a start cap, it should only be in the circuit for a short time, until a centrifugal switch takes it out. The only thing that can actually go wrong is that switch taking too long to open and making the cap operate past it's duty cycle. The oil within does seem to "dry up" over time, especially when they are run too hot.

In general the voltage rating needs to handle the peak voltage supplied. Typically it's 240v * 1.414 = Vp. That being siad, it never hurts to go to a higher voltage.

Top Bottom