• ...and so much more!
  • Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Locally, I am not sure.

If you are willing to order online. I would look at Welcome to Ammunition To Go!

Of the few times I have ordered from them, I have never had an issue.

Also, have you looked into the Federal HST? They are the Hydrashok on steroids. :)

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    does anyone in town carry the hst? whats a box cost? I want to start stocking up on ammo in case gas hits 5 a gallon
    I don't know if any one local carries it, but ammunitiontogo sells it for $20 for a box of 50. Well worth the price of admission. :thumbsup:

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I carry HST. I got it for $24 for a box of 50 at the gun show. But this is for 9mm. I would assume that the .45apc is a little more in price.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Paul what is the weight on those HST? I've got some 124gr but I'd like to try some 124gr +p or 147gr.

heartless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    im cheap i use the remington 9mm hp at 115gr (24$ per 100 at wally world... i know its not the best but ima good shot and plan on pulling the trigger more than once. :rockwoot:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    silly question but what does the +p mean exactly? i saw it on a box of hornady ammo today. btw, is hornaday ammo any good? any thoughts?

+P is a hot load. Higher than normal pressure, but still a SAAMI standard. Fine for modern firearms that are rated for it. It will have higher velocity for a given bullet weight. This means more energy and stopping power. It will also have a higher recoil and cause more wear on your gun.

+P+ is a very hot load. Much higher than normal pressure and not safe for older firearms. Maybe not safe for new ones. Even more recoil and wear.

I'm of the thought that accuracy and follow up shot speed matter more than a little extra power. A good quality regular pressure hollow point is what I use.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Do +P and +P+ rounds generally shoot less accurately? I know recoil will affect follow up shots, but I always seem to shoot larger groups with +P ammo.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Do +P and +P+ rounds generally shoot less accurately? I know recoil will affect follow up shots, but I always seem to shoot larger groups with +P ammo.

I have no answer, but from shooting normal loads and +p+ rounds, I feel only a quick follow up shot with a +p+ would be affected. I carry 124+p+ hydrashocks with me, and have done some shooting with them to become accustomed to them. The kick seems more substantial, but the accuracy might be just in your head, flinching slightly as I did after I first shot them:dunno:

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    im cheap i use the remington 9mm hp at 115gr (24$ per 100 at wally world... i know its not the best but ima good shot and plan on pulling the trigger more than once. :rockwoot:
    My life is worth more than that. I know it is your choice, but I have decided to go with a true defense round as opposed to loading my defense weapon with rounds from a value pack.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Personally, my life is worthless to defend with super ammo :D.

Seriously though, the "value pack" stuff really isnt bad ammunition. Its not as "high tech" or packaged as the new uber ammo. The valuepack JHP use older designs, usually updated slightly with a better ogive for function in a wider variety of weapons. The designs they use have been killing for decades, so I would not sweat it. Hornady uses their XTP which is known for deep penetration (if loaded correctly) and decent expansion, however (as much as I like the XTP) they have a tendency to clog easily and limit their expansion. Alot of my .45 loads I make for carry are usually a copy of either the 185 or 200 gr. Flying Ashtray loads or very very fast 230 gr ball (950 fps).

Many people are hung up on what ammo they are carrying and seriously believe that they cannot defend their lives unless they have the absolute best. It has to have a catchy name like Hydro-shock or HST or Gold Dot or Power Ball, loaded in 20 count, not 50. There is NOTHING wrong with this ammunition. I am not trying to say its not effective or snake oil or whatever. However, there are designs that have been killing for years that people overlook in their mad dash for what the new flavor round this month. If you are short on budget or are looking for a load you can hoard up, the value lines of ammunition do just fine. But for carry, any of the aforementioned ammunition is just fine. The super ammo has alot of features that are very well thought and required for defense: deep penetration, good expansion, flash supressed powders, nickle cases for reliable extraction under any circumstance. These are all hallmarks of quality ammuntion. However, with my study of ammo today, I have not seen one issue where the nickle cases matter or much of the above. Most of the value ammo I have seen has little to no flash (in many cases, except the Golden Sabres. Good bullet, but sparks like a Japanese kids toy) and in many personal and other's observations, provide good expansion and penetration.

Hydroshocks are a great round. Looking at it, it looks like a Federal Classic with a post to keep junk from clogging, Good Ideas! Ive also seen and horsed with the HST, once again, Great round! Would I stockpile either personally? No. Too much money for too little ammo that I can handload for half the cost, twice/thrice the count and more fun :D. Are they effective? Heck yes! Why would I carry old designs? Because they work too! People tend to poo poo whatever isnt the newest tacticool round available. Take .38 for example: people will go out of their way and go nuts over the newest Gold Dot or short barrel that, when 158 gr. SWC or SWCHP has been servicing people for years. Which one would I trust? Both. Which one do I carry? The old idea.

Hiram Abiff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Wayne Co.
    Personally, my life is worthless to defend with super ammo :D.

Seriously though, the "value pack" stuff really isnt bad ammunition. Its not as "high tech" or packaged as the new uber ammo. The valuepack JHP use older designs, usually updated slightly with a better ogive for function in a wider variety of weapons. The designs they use have been killing for decades, so I would not sweat it. Hornady uses their XTP which is known for deep penetration (if loaded correctly) and decent expansion, however (as much as I like the XTP) they have a tendency to clog easily and limit their expansion. Alot of my .45 loads I make for carry are usually a copy of either the 185 or 200 gr. Flying Ashtray loads or very very fast 230 gr ball (950 fps).

Many people are hung up on what ammo they are carrying and seriously believe that they cannot defend their lives unless they have the absolute best. It has to have a catchy name like Hydro-shock or HST or Gold Dot or Power Ball, loaded in 20 count, not 50. There is NOTHING wrong with this ammunition. I am not trying to say its not effective or snake oil or whatever. However, there are designs that have been killing for years that people overlook in their mad dash for what the new flavor round this month. If you are short on budget or are looking for a load you can hoard up, the value lines of ammunition do just fine. But for carry, any of the aforementioned ammunition is just fine. The super ammo has alot of features that are very well thought and required for defense: deep penetration, good expansion, flash supressed powders, nickle cases for reliable extraction under any circumstance. These are all hallmarks of quality ammuntion. However, with my study of ammo today, I have not seen one issue where the nickle cases matter or much of the above. Most of the value ammo I have seen has little to no flash (in many cases, except the Golden Sabres. Good bullet, but sparks like a Japanese kids toy) and in many personal and other's observations, provide good expansion and penetration.

Hydroshocks are a great round. Looking at it, it looks like a Federal Classic with a post to keep junk from clogging, Good Ideas! Ive also seen and horsed with the HST, once again, Great round! Would I stockpile either personally? No. Too much money for too little ammo that I can handload for half the cost, twice/thrice the count and more fun :D. Are they effective? Heck yes! Why would I carry old designs? Because they work too! People tend to poo poo whatever isnt the newest tacticool round available. Take .38 for example: people will go out of their way and go nuts over the newest Gold Dot or short barrel that, when 158 gr. SWC or SWCHP has been servicing people for years. Which one would I trust? Both. Which one do I carry? The old idea.
    Well said:rockwoot:

Top Bottom