• Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    Looking to hydro dip a duty carry AR.

how does it hold up? Does it peel?

i know it depends on the company but, how much does it usually cost for an AR?

thnx

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    It'll hold up ok, I would look into cerakote though. In my opinion it's far superior.

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    I am looking to go with the Kryptek Typhon pattern, not sure if cerakote can make that design. I am really unsure in this dept so I could be wrong....more than likely I am! Haha

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    It'll hold up ok, I would look into cerakote though. In my opinion it's far superior.

Though certainly more durable than hydro-dipping, I'm pretty disappointed in the durability of cerakote as well. Less than a week after coating and my slide is already showing obvious wear. I'd had higher hopes for the product.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I've heard this from more than one person. My response is always this:

Any sprayed on finish is going to wear. Period.

IMO, if you are going to be hard on a weapon, make sure you choose a finish that will stand up. Hydro-dipping, DuraCoat, and Cerakote would not be my first choices....

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Recommendations?

I have had good luck with my parkerizing solution. There are other "finishes" out there, but parkerizing seems to be the best.

Also, Cerakote can be sprayed light or heavy. In some spots (around barrels, extractors, etc) the Cerakote needs to be sprayed light. In areas around the sides and top, I typically layer it a bit thicker for this very reason.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Had my stripped upper, lower, stock and quad-rail aquadipped with the Kryptek camo you mentioned. I'm still building it. Right now I'm struggling with my Magpul STR stock, will not go on the buffer tube. I've tried cleaning the inside of the stock with a number of things...no joy yet. Beware, a friction stock may not be the best if the inside of the stock isn't protected from the dip.

Obviously, since I'm still rebuilding, I don't know about the durability, but it looks great. Just trying to overcome the stock issues.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I can't believe I am even considering this as I have been somewhat outspoken about "painting" any gun but...

...I am thinking of using spray cans on an AR I am building up inexpensively for fun "run and gun" and plinking.

Hmm...now that I just typed this, I think I'll leave it black.:)

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I think there is a difference between a hunting firearm and a duty weapon or an EDC. A firearm that is going to see a lot of "work" (in and out of holster, training drills, in and out of vehicle mount, etc.) will wear quicker than a hunting rifle, range gun, or etc.

Are there firearms out there that have a hydro dip that lasts, yes. Question is, how have they been used, and in what environment?

I've seen a lot of beautiful paint jobs on four wheelers that haven't ever seen the mud.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    If you have a "work" gun described by the guy above then you need to rattle can it. More than likely if you're using a firearm in that manner you wouldn't be looking into a hydro dip anyways.

My rifle that was pictured is a range gun, not a "work" gun. I don't baby it but I don't just toss it into the bed of my truck either.

Top Bottom