• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Everyone loves to talk about how much ammo and MRE's they have stocked away and ready to go, and every once in a while you even hear of people stocking up on toilet paper, but I seldom hear of people stocking up on the other hygiene necessities such as soap, anti-bacterial/sanitizer, etc.

I'm assuming that most of you guys have thought of how you'd keep clean in a long term SHTF situation, and if so, what type of items did you stock to cover your hygiene/cleanliness needs? I was thinking of buying bars of soap in bulk as well as "industrial sized" squirt bottles of hand sanitizer. Both don't have a shelf life if stored correctly as far as I know.

Another sticking point in my preps are medicines. My wife and I are currently not on any medicine, but my 3 month old son is on acid reflux medicine that we can only buy one month supply at a time. Though we're hoping he outgrows the acid reflux soon, ideally I'd like to get a few months worth of acid reflux medicine put away. Another HUGE one I want is antibiotics. I realize those have a shelf life, so stockpiling multiple years worth of antibiotics is probably out of the question. I've heard that you can buy "fish antibiotics" on the internet and have them shipped to your door and that it's the exact same thing. Is this true? Has anyone else done this?

Anyway, just trying to shed some light on some of the less talked about preps that may not be as exciting as a new gun or ammo. I'm imterested in what you guys have done to fill the need.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Everyone loves to talk about how much ammo and MRE's they have stocked away and ready to go, and every once in a while you even hear of people stocking up on toilet paper, but I seldom hear of people stocking up on the other hygiene necessities such as soap, anti-bacterial/sanitizer, etc.

I'm assuming that most of you guys have thought of how you'd keep clean in a long term SHTF situation, and if so, what type of items did you stock to cover your hygiene/cleanliness needs? I was thinking of buying bars of soap in bulk as well as "industrial sized" squirt bottles of hand sanitizer. Both don't have a shelf life if stored correctly as far as I know.

Another sticking point in my preps are medicines. My wife and I are currently not on any medicine, but my 3 month old son is on acid reflux medicine that we can only buy one month supply at a time. Though we're hoping he outgrows the acid reflux soon, ideally I'd like to get a few months worth of acid reflux medicine put away. Another HUGE one I want is antibiotics. I realize those have a shelf life, so stockpiling multiple years worth of antibiotics is probably out of the question. I've heard that you can buy "fish antibiotics" on the internet and have them shipped to your door and that it's the exact same thing. Is this true? Has anyone else done this?

Anyway, just trying to shed some light on some of the less talked about preps that may not be as exciting as a new gun or ammo. I'm imterested in what you guys have done to fill the need.

A teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water makes a pretty good antacid. I've used it in a pinch when I've been out of my Prilosec. Dollar-store shampoo can be used as shampoo, body wash, and hand soap. Baby wipes are also great for a quick waterless alternative to a shower, but they tend to dry up in storage after a while. Coconut oil can be used for hair and skin moisturizing, tooth brushing, and as oil for cooking. You can make a decent deodorant by mixing baking soda and coconut oil.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I suppose you could vacuum seal or use some sort of airtight storage on baby wipe packages and they would keep for a long time. Pretty indespinsable, really. You can wipe your nether regions once a day and prevent some nasty skin conditions.

Having an herb garden and knowing uses for some of them is helpful too. Having some sage, lemon balm, hyssop, rosemary, spearmint, and maybe a few other things around can prove invaluable in the absence of (or even in addition to) modern medicine. Knowing how to use plantain (the weed) is helpful. Store honey, it helps allergies, coughs, on and on. Something I wish I had around was comfrey. Most of this doesn't need "stored", just left growing in a patch.

And nothing matters more for health than access to clean drinking water.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Good quality baby wipes are invaluable for every day life, and would be even more so in an emergency, especially if water is scarce. You can even clean guns with them.

Stocking-up on (preferably) Rolaids or an equivalent (that has Mg in addition to the Ca - Tums has no Mg) is a good idea even if you don't have heartburn frequently. They make a superior electrolyte replacement when you've been seating profusely, especially if due to exertion. Most people worry about potassium in those situation, but most people get plenty of potassium and sodium in their diet. Calcium and magnesium can really help minimize muscle spasms you can get from exertion/sweating a lot. Of course, milk is the best electrolyte replacer of all.

Alcohol-based hand sanitizer can double as a fire-starting aid. When you use it as a hand sanitizer, use "enough."

Antibiotic ointment is also multi-purpose. You can use it for cuts and scrapes and abrasions, but also as a lip balm or with cotton balls to aid in fire making.

7.62asprin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Some good info here. I'd also stock up on razors and shaving cream too. Personally I often use a strait razor, but disposable ones would be good to keep in stock. If not for yourself then for trade. A lot of people feel refreshed after a good shave and a fresh face.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Some good info here. I'd also stock up on razors and shaving cream too. Personally I often use a strait razor, but disposable ones would be good to keep in stock. If not for yourself then for trade. A lot of people feel refreshed after a good shave and a fresh face.

Some of the other INGOers have gone back to safety razors with replaceable razor blades. They say you get a better shave once you learn the technique and over time, buying the blades is a lot cheaper than even cheap disposables. Plus, you can use razor blades for a lot of utility tasks.

Also keep in mind that "cleanliness", in the average American sense of the word, is quite overrated.

Sanitation >>> looks and feels good

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hair clippers might be handy too. If water is short and you need to stay clean, keeping a buzzcut could be very helpful.

Battery powered and a solar panel to recharge batteries would work. I don't know if those old-fashioned manual clippers would cut the same way.

rebarguyindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Spencer, IN
    I am not a doctor or a pharmacist, but I have read that garlic is a natural antibiotic. When I take garlic pills, it seems to keep the mosquitoes (and my wife) away too.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Honey is bacteriostatic and can be used to pack wounds to prevent infection. You need to change it frequently, though.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    And zip top bags. You can store stuff, carry water, use them to irrigate wounds (fill with water, poke a hole, squeeze).

... and decorate cakes! (i.e. fill with FROSTING, poke a hole, squeeze)

Hey, you might need some morale food after the zombie apocalypse.:)

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I am not a doctor or a pharmacist, but I have read that garlic is a natural antibiotic. When I take garlic pills, it seems to keep the mosquitoes (and my wife) away too.

Lots of health benefits with garlic. It's good to stay on top your probiotics (yogurt, kiefer, fermented foods) if you're going to eat it raw very much. But of course the main use is to make stuff tasty. Very easy to grow, by the way, and now is the time to plant.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Have the "fish antibiotics." Haven't used them yet, but they will likely last longer than the date on the package, and they are often packaged in standard human dosages, or some multiple thereof. I remember reading about a military study that demonstrated they last at least 5x longer than package dates.. We have a lot of honey ready, make our own yogurt and keffer, and are aware of what grows in the woods that we can use.

We also have "feminine hygiene" substitutes - small natural sponges. Used to date someone who used them exclusively, and never had any problem. Yeah, sure, you might think "gross," but it beats the alternative, and cleaning them isn't that difficult.

Canning supplies could be real important.

Last edited:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I haven't seen tampons/pads on here yet. I know technically they are not necessary but they make things easier in the long run for those lady times of the month.

I buy a pack of each on top of what my wife buys... She thinks I'm crazy but she will be thanking me if the time comes when things go south.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I haven't seen tampons/pads on here yet. I know technically they are not necessary but they make things easier in the long run for those lady times of the month.

I buy a pack of each on top of what my wife buys... She thinks I'm crazy but she will be thanking me if the time comes when things go south.

The one good thing about being 51...bye bye feminine products! Although, the trade off consists of ungodly hot flashes. But, in a SHTF scenario, I'll take the sweating any day of the week.

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Have the "fish antibiotics." Haven't used them yet, but they will likely last longer than the date on the package, and they are often packaged in standard human dosages, or some multiple thereof. I remember reading about a military study that demonstrated they last at least 5x longer than package dates

This.

You can get 100x500mg amoxicilin pills "for aquariums" online for $30. Absolutely identical to the "human" pills, because they are the same. I have used them personally and they work the same as the prescription version.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    We have a good stock of the amoxicillin , also keep plenty of advil and tylenol vacuum packed also. Antibiotic creams, analgesic creams too. As to hygiene plenty of soap,toothpaste and hand sanitizers also. Keep lots of bleach on hand too. Alcohol and peroxide is good also. Clean usable water is a big one you can never have enough i say. We have a large herb garden also, dehydrate and seal this also. Learn what grows naturally it may save you open day too.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom