• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Are all anti biotics the same--they all kill the same bacteria--and what are their shelf lives?

No, they are not all the same.

Some are more generalized than others, which are called "broad spectrum."

There are two general "types" of bacteria with respect: gram positive and gram negative. Different antibiotics are called for when you know for sure whether an infection is caused by one or the other.

Shelf life varies. Some just become less potent over time. Some (like tetracycline) are actually toxic after a while.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No one has mentioned the king of all sanitation, bleach. I keep several jugs on hand (I write the date on all my stuff and rotate it).

Rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, ammonia, white vinegar, baking soda, cornstarch, etc.

I keep new buckets on hand (yes, for that), lots of 30 and 50 gallon bags, tape, twist ties, and lime. Old towels and stacks of baby wipes (buy them on sale at Kroger, good for all over and the dog blossom).

Even though I do not drink hard liquor I keep vodka on hand as well. Can be a cleaner and a trade good.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    No one has mentioned the king of all sanitation, bleach. I keep several jugs on hand (I write the date on all my stuff and rotate it).

We don't stock bleach - we keep dry pool shock. That way we can make fresh bleach any time, and each package can treat 10,000 gallons. But we usually use our dehumidifier water, since our well water just precipitates calcium and neutralizes the bleach.

Official shelf life for the fish antibiotics is less than 2 years. Unofficial - maybe 10, depending.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    We don't stock bleach - we keep dry pool shock. That way we can make fresh bleach any time, and each package can treat 10,000 gallons. But we usually use our dehumidifier water, since our well water just precipitates calcium and neutralizes the bleach.

Official shelf life for the fish antibiotics is less than 2 years. Unofficial - maybe 10, depending.
    I never thought of a dehumidifier as a water source. It's so simple. Obviously I'd need power to keep the dehumidifier running, but I'm sure the right sized solar panel would do the trick.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    One aspect to remember is food, prep, clean up, etc. to keep your insides good.

Here is some info from a couple of my presentations I have presented to clients.

Hygiene products to store long term and ideas for:
    Toilet paper - small package, multiple types. Tote and bag, manufacturers packaging is not water tight. Can be smashed flat to conserve space.
    Antibacterial hand sanitizer – small containers, large refills
    Bar soap/liquid detergent – multiple packages, seal in water tight bag or container, manufacturers packaging is not water tight.
    Paper towels - multiple packages, seal in water tight bag or container, manufacturers packaging is not water tight. Can be smashed flat to conserve space.
    Toothpaste and toothbrushes – small travel kits, extra small and large tubes of paste, extra tooth brushes.
    Feminine hygiene products – all types of these products, stored in water tight bag or container, manufacturers packaging is not water tight. Could put together monthly kits, handi wipes, TP, and other items in bagies.
    Trash can/large trash bags – all sizes with twist ties and without. Extra duct tape for sealing.
    Shampoo – different types, small and large quantities. Tape flip tops closed so they don’t get knocked open when moved or transported.
    Handi Wipes – lots and lots. Seal in vacuum bags, zip locks, etc.
    Bath and hand towels – seal clean, bleached towels in bags, vacuum seal for space saving.
    Dish soap – small and large quantities. Even 5 gallon pails.
    Laundry soap – powder – sealed in water tight bag or container, liquid, various sizes including 5 gallon pails.
    Means to wash clothes - bucket, agitator, wash board, ringer, clothes line, clothes line clips or pins.
    Wash pans and strainer for dishes – some sort of wash tub, bucket, etc. that food prep and eating utensils can be washed in. Include scouring pads and dish towels.
    Lotions – scent free hypoallergenic, small and large quantities, tape flip tops closed.
    Vaseline – multitude of uses. Can be cheap kind, scent free. Small and large containers.
    Q-Tips – small and large quantities, can be off brand, seal in water tight bag or container, manufacturers packaging is not water tight.

Antibiotics – Can be purchased through vendors on-line. I have used a few, most are quick and easy, price shop, be sure to compare apples to apples, dosage and count, do the math. Might be cheaper by the milligram to buy 200 count 250mg bottle versus 500 count 500mg. I keep the top 5. I learned what they are best to treat, what kind of infection, dosages for weights and ages, etc.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaL4fLXXEJg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOfthwm_v3E
    Buy stock, rotate.
    http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/42020/1/9241545135.pdf
    OTC meds, stock all, don’t forget stomach, anti-diarrhea, pain, allergy, anti-bacterial ointments, eye drops, etc.
    Prescription meds, speak to doctor and insurance, some like to give 3 month supply for maintenance drugs. Research alternatives, natural, substitutes, etc.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One aspect to remember is food, prep, clean up, etc. to keep your insides good.

Here is some info from a couple of my presentations I have presented to clients.

Hygiene products to store long term and ideas for:
    Toilet paper - small package, multiple types. Tote and bag, manufacturers packaging is not water tight. Can be smashed flat to conserve space.
    Antibacterial hand sanitizer – small containers, large refills
    Bar soap/liquid detergent – multiple packages, seal in water tight bag or container, manufacturers packaging is not water tight.
    Paper towels - multiple packages, seal in water tight bag or container, manufacturers packaging is not water tight. Can be smashed flat to conserve space.
    Toothpaste and toothbrushes – small travel kits, extra small and large tubes of paste, extra tooth brushes.
    Feminine hygiene products – all types of these products, stored in water tight bag or container, manufacturers packaging is not water tight. Could put together monthly kits, handi wipes, TP, and other items in bagies.
    Trash can/large trash bags – all sizes with twist ties and without. Extra duct tape for sealing.
    Shampoo – different types, small and large quantities. Tape flip tops closed so they don’t get knocked open when moved or transported.
    Handi Wipes – lots and lots. Seal in vacuum bags, zip locks, etc.
    Bath and hand towels – seal clean, bleached towels in bags, vacuum seal for space saving.
    Dish soap – small and large quantities. Even 5 gallon pails.
    Laundry soap – powder – sealed in water tight bag or container, liquid, various sizes including 5 gallon pails.
    Means to wash clothes - bucket, agitator, wash board, ringer, clothes line, clothes line clips or pins.
    Wash pans and strainer for dishes – some sort of wash tub, bucket, etc. that food prep and eating utensils can be washed in. Include scouring pads and dish towels.
    Lotions – scent free hypoallergenic, small and large quantities, tape flip tops closed.
    Vaseline – multitude of uses. Can be cheap kind, scent free. Small and large containers.
    Q-Tips – small and large quantities, can be off brand, seal in water tight bag or container, manufacturers packaging is not water tight.

Antibiotics – Can be purchased through vendors on-line. I have used a few, most are quick and easy, price shop, be sure to compare apples to apples, dosage and count, do the math. Might be cheaper by the milligram to buy 200 count 250mg bottle versus 500 count 500mg. I keep the top 5. I learned what they are best to treat, what kind of infection, dosages for weights and ages, etc.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaL4fLXXEJg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOfthwm_v3E
    Buy stock, rotate.
    http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/42020/1/9241545135.pdf
    OTC meds, stock all, don’t forget stomach, anti-diarrhea, pain, allergy, anti-bacterial ointments, eye drops, etc.
    Prescription meds, speak to doctor and insurance, some like to give 3 month supply for maintenance drugs. Research alternatives, natural, substitutes, etc.

:yesway:

I have the spouse in charge of Hygiene prep. Fresh toothbrushes/Sams club size toothpaste tubes and mouth wash. Baby wipes in constant rotation.
    Water specifically for Hygiene. Poopy paper.....man you gotta have poopy paper.
    There is so much more.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    :yesway:

I have the spouse in charge of Hygiene prep. Fresh toothbrushes/Sams club size toothpaste tubes and mouth wash. Baby wipes in constant rotation.
    Water specifically for Hygiene. Poopy paper.....man you gotta have poopy paper.
    There is so much more.

A point of concern.. Do you know how fast you go through a particular item? Helps to know how much you have time wise, when rationing is important, etc. Certain things like tooth paste, write the date on the tube when you open it, record this in your prep log. you do keep a prep log right? Then when you empty it, write that date down. Get an average. adjust your preps.

Same for other items, soap, shampoo, rolls per month of TP given normal traffic.

Like calories, hygiene items are per use, per day, per week or per month items..

Laundry is something too, do you measure detergent? how many loads can you actually get from a bottle, not what it says. If you use 3 ounces per load conventionally in your washer and you have a 5 gallon pail, how many loads? It's math..

Like ammo, you can never have too much toilet paper..

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A point of concern.. Do you know how fast you go through a particular item? Helps to know how much you have time wise, when rationing is important, etc. Certain things like tooth paste, write the date on the tube when you open it, record this in your prep log. you do keep a prep log right? Then when you empty it, write that date down. Get an average. adjust your preps.

Same for other items, soap, shampoo, rolls per month of TP given normal traffic.

Like calories, hygiene items are per use, per day, per week or per month items..

Laundry is something too, do you measure detergent? how many loads can you actually get from a bottle, not what it says. If you use 3 ounces per load conventionally in your washer and you have a 5 gallon pail, how many loads? It's math..

Like ammo, you can never have too much toilet paper..

No....I do not have a log.
    That will change.

Paper products/trash bags/plastic flatware.....on and on.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Also if you balance your preps it will help you develop a standard. Say a per month prep. Why have a years worth of water, and only 6 months worth of food and only 3 months worth of critical items. Balance your efforts to put things all inline with one another, Water, food, meds, etc. Say keep things in monthly increments as you can afford. Add a month of water, add a month of food, at a month of supplies, etc.

Granted some things are lower priority, but keeping things semi balanced you will help yourself understand what you will have to survive when or if it comes time. You will know you have a particular amount of whatever and you have to make it last a certain amount of time.

It can get crazy.. But then it will be crazy times.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For those who choose to stock antibiotics, please take the time to educate yourself thoroughly on appropriate usage. Many people take antibiotics for viral infections that are completed unaffected by the drugs, which can also kill beneficial bacteria in your system.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    For those who choose to stock antibiotics, please take the time to educate yourself thoroughly on appropriate usage. Many people take antibiotics for viral infections that are completed unaffected by the drugs, which can also kill beneficial bacteria in your system.

Very good point. I have utilized information from the links below. Also have to consider allergic reactions if you have never been prescribed a particular antibiotic before.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/amp/guidelines/antibiotic_guidelines.pdf

https://www.idsociety.org/Antimicrobial_Agents/

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Also if you balance your preps it will help you develop a standard. Say a per month prep. Why have a years worth of water, and only 6 months worth of food and only 3 months worth of critical items. Balance your efforts to put things all inline with one another, Water, food, meds, etc. Say keep things in monthly increments as you can afford. Add a month of water, add a month of food, at a month of supplies, etc.

Granted some things are lower priority, but keeping things semi balanced you will help yourself understand what you will have to survive when or if it comes time. You will know you have a particular amount of whatever and you have to make it last a certain amount of time.

It can get crazy.. But then it will be crazy times.

We have been basing our purchases along these lines lately.
    We have limited available space so utilizing it properly is also a priority.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Your garden or the woods can provide medicines.

Yup. Some education and actually trying them before SHTF can take you a long way.

My favorite is elderberry for its anti-viral properties. The dried berries can be used to make tea, syrup, or an infusion to help fight colds and flu. Fresh berries can be used for elderberry pie or wine and the flower clusters can be fried into fritters.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    There are several herbs that can be taken together to help with flu like symptoms, however, I take echinacea and a Vitamin C supplement when I first feel I'm catching a cold or the flu. There is a study that I've read up on that shows that people with flu like symptoms, who actually tested positive for the flu, had an approximately equal rate of "feeling better" or "healing" when compared to people who took the prescription med Tamiflu at the same time. Pretty remarkable stuff.

I would just place a word of caution, as overuse of some of these herbs can cause some pretty messed up things. Taking echinanea in the long term can "overstimulate" or wear out your immune system and have a reverse effect. Garlic and some other "immune" herbs can also decrease platelet aggregration, and cause an increase in clotting times (makes it harder for your blood to congeal and clot)

Like has been stated, do your research before ingesting anything.

marmion

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Got to finally use my USB rechargeable shower on a 1 month trip to the mountains in UT and AZ. Phenomenal. The thing is dirt cheap. I charged it with an Anker 21W solar charger. Got 8 showers out of her before needing to recharge. Although I average only 1.5 gallons per shower. Used a standard plastic 5 gallon army water can. The unit fits right inside easily. Currently 29 bucks on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Battery-Powered-Handheld-Portable-Shower/dp/B00IFHFJXI

Top Bottom