• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Some really good answers in here... though none may be right. Or, they all could be right. That's the beauty of a "rapidly unfolding situation."

I agree with the folks who say you hear shots, GTFO. On the other hand, if it's your community or maybe your family is on the other side of the store, approach with caution. That picture posted above shows a great way to carry your firearm without presenting a threat to others who may be armed. If you've done enough force on force you'll start to see the postures of people presenting a threat look different than those who are simply carrying a firearm.

Here in Indiana, I'm willing to bet a big box store would see several armed individuals and some would likely be standing all tactical and the others would simply have a gun. Some might even be doing the old Cagney and Lacey high ready like they saw on TV. How will you know who's friend or foe?

You're going to have to make split-second decisions that may cost you or someone you love, or even a complete stranger - maybe one who's innocent - their lives. If you're not ready to do that, don't pull your gun. If you are ready to do that.... good luck!

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Hello dispatch I'm the 600 pound man on a rascal wearing a shirt from baby gap with my breakfast from the past few weeks all over it, and my house slippers have holes in the ends of them because I haven't gotten new ones since my mom bought them for me eight years ago. Save me.

I do shop at walmart for ammo. Best prices.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    On the other end of the store, get out.
    On the other end of the store and I'm separated from my loved ones. OODA

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    For those of you saying that you wouldnt go looking for the threat, are you taking out your weapon as you get out or are you just running?

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    If you're not looking for the threat, why would your gun be drawn?
    someone is in the same building as you is shooting people. You arent going to know where they are in the chaos and theres a chance you could run into them as you make your way to an exit. depending on physical condition some may not be able to sprint out of the building. The longer it takes to reach the exit, the more possibility of coming face to face with them. IMO people being shot at in the same building as you is grounds for being ready.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    someone is in the same building as you is shooting people. You arent going to know where they are in the chaos and theres a chance you could run into them as you make your way to an exit. depending on physical condition some may not be able to sprint out of the building. The longer it takes to reach the exit, the more possibility of coming face to face with them. IMO people being shot at in the same building as you is grounds for being ready.

But you hear the threat, but you didn't encounter it. I'm not drawing my gun until then, and only if I understand what's going on. In that sort of mess, how do you know anything that's going on?

If I hear gunfire, I'm grabbing my family and running the opposite direction. With my gun holstered, but remaining ready.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    But you hear the threat, but you didn't encounter it. I'm not drawing my gun until then, and only if I understand what's going on. In that sort of mess, how do you know anything that's going on?

If I hear gunfire, I'm grabbing my family and running the opposite direction. With my gun holstered, but remaining ready.
    Pretty much the whole reason i made this thread to see how others would react. Im not trained to tell distance of a shot, and depending on the acoustics/being indoors id have no idea probably where the person was in relation to my location. Because of that i would be ready for anything. If i was by myself im probably just taking off, but with family im not taking any chances someone gets the drop on me.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    As in most hypothetical situations there are too many variables and you change them to assert your opinion.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    well...if you are not a member of law enforcement and do not have EXTENSIVE training, what reason would you have to go investigate?

Carry is for self defense

Some people carry and feel like having a gun on them makes them the town sheriff.

If something is happening in front of you and you can help, then do so, else wise, get out.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Pretty much the whole reason i made this thread to see how others would react. Im not trained to tell distance of a shot, and depending on the acoustics/being indoors id have no idea probably where the person was in relation to my location. Because of that i would be ready for anything. If i was by myself im probably just taking off, but with family im not taking any chances someone gets the drop on me.

When you are exiting, gun in hand, what are you gonna do when you run into this guy?

attachment.php

What are you gonna do if he sees you first and his gun is pointed at you, instead of down?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    well...if you are not a member of law enforcement and do not have EXTENSIVE training, what reason would you have to go investigate?

Carry is for self defense

Some people carry and feel like having a gun on them makes them the town sheriff.

If something is happening in front of you and you can help, then do so, else wise, get out.

^^^THIS^^^

When you are exiting, gun in hand, what are you gonna do when you run into this guy?

attachment.php

What are you gonna do if he sees you first and his gun is pointed at you, instead of down?

Boy! that's one ugly gun.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    What does one do if they are gun in hand and discover another pointing a gun at them?

It could be another ccer with little to no training and you're the first thing they see with a gun so bang they shoot you.

I've always had the mind set that it's always other people you have to watch out for, like while driving....

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I think that the libs would just have you shelter in place until the shooter comes around to you. Then you are supposed to throw your books at him and tell him that this is your "safe space". If you're still alive then you should quickly inform the shooter that what he is doing is illegal and that he is "IN BIG TROUBLE MISTER".

Last edited:
    Top Bottom