• ...and so much more!
  • BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    Would I or my wife get in trouble in the following hypothetical:

Would-be attacker is subdued (speculate) I as a LTCH holder give wife a BUW (handgun) to keep drawn on the BG until he can be restrained or for whatever reason I need to tend to something else.

Since this hypothetical it doesn't just need to involve the ole lady. Friends, other family etc

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    To paraphrase Mercop (he's a member here and has forgotten more than I'll ever know)....

Why go hands on? Say you do, and he makes a move, now both of you are rolling around and your wife/gf/grandma/whatever can't take the shot without possibly hitting you.
    /end paraphrase

Let your wife go "tend to something else." if at all possible, and keep the BG in a sight picture.

To answer the question, in your home/property, you'd be OK. Wouldn't risk it out on the streets.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    As ridiculous as it is I can see being in public and them getting in trouble for that..then you will be killed by your wife/gf/so because they ended up in jail because of you.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Never and I mean never try to restrain a person. If you are trying to handcuff or even tie a person up, you are getting to close. Too many instances of videos of inmates practicing to defeat LEO at the time of of handcuffing floating around. Stand back aat a safe distance and call 911. Seen and been in too many fights when that first cuff goes on.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Pffttt.

All you have to do is keep repeating "stop resisting!" over & over again the whole time while you are cuffing them up.

It works on a psychological level, in fact studies have shown that the "stop resisting!" command is completely irresistible.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

Would-be attacker is subdued (speculate) I as a LTCH holder give wife a BUW (handgun) to keep drawn on the BG until he can be restrained or for whatever reason I need to tend to something else.

Since this hypothetical it doesn't just need to involve the ole lady. Friends, other family etc

With all the other judgement issues aside, LEO's have this thing called discretion. Given the circumstance you describe I highly doubt many officer's would make an issue out of your wife (or anyone else) holding the weapon. I also highly doubt many (most) prosecutors would make an issue out of it. Possible? Yes but highly unlikely IMO.:twocents:

Dwhizzle74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    I don't see how it would be a problem. Say you just happened to walk down A street And you see some man getting robbed and he's a cc they start fighting and he's gun falls out your protecting his life so just because I don't have a ltch I can't pick someones gun up to save there life? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see much coming from it but maybe I'm missin somethin I'm not Leo or a lawyer

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Couple of questions come to mind on the original statement. Assuming this is a violent confrontation worthy of this guy being locked up on felony charges. First, is the girlfriend trained or capable to hold the weapon on the person and is she preparred to pull the trigger if necessary? Next, what would be so important that you would have to leave or give the girlfriend your gun. Don't try to restrain unless you have practiced.

I would agree with j706 that it probably would not be an issue. When you call the police make sure that you inform them that someone is being held by a weapon and give an accurate description of the bad person and the one holding the gun. Dispatch centers are then probably informing enroute cars of the circumstances and they will probably give instructions and updates over the phone.

The "instructions" part was not meant as a slam. Once had a robbery where the bad guy had a hammer. The good guy got back to his desk and got out a 6" Colt Python. Both were on the floor screaming for help, hard to tell the players without a scorecard.

jsheets1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Portage NWI
    Yeah man agreed! Don't ever put hands on until the police come and take care of it for you. They will have back up, you don't. This is why you own the firearm, if the perp makes a move towards you shoot him. If he is trying to get away, let him go.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI

I think she would best be served by claiming the doctrine of necessity...

Necessity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    Officer discretion and 'necessity' seem to be reasonable to assume an officer would not give too much of a hassle. How do they feel when wife drives hubby's car which has a firearm the guy leaves in the car?

Now if Indiana ever went constitutional carry, all these ridiculous laws would be void for those who don't have an LTCH, correct?

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Try doing this in a scenario with someone yelling at you and see what how you respond. I have found that since we are inundated with cop shows from birth, many citizens start yelling police commands like stop resisting, get on your knees, interlace your hands from behind you head, cross your ankles etc. They also fixate on the person they are covering down on and the rest of the world closes in on them. Find out how you will react and make corrections before you need it for real- George

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    How do they feel when wife drives hubby's car which has a firearm the guy leaves in the car?

If it is not in a condition as prescribed by the new law for an unlicensed person to legally transport in a vehicle (unloaded, in a case & inaccessible) then she would have a problem.

Have her get a LTCH, don't let her drive your car or don't leave the gun in there when she does.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Seems like a tough call to me. In this world of "zero tolerance," (students suspended/expelled for GI Joe guns in their back packs, or empty shotgun casings in their cup holders of their cars,) what do you expect to happen when someone without a permit wields a weapon on public property? Seems like a bad idea to me....I know if it happens to me, my girlfriend is going to be told to GTFO of wherever we are and call the cops while I dump mags at the threat.

Now, when she gets her permit, it may be slightly different, but until that time I know that I would rather have her getting out of the way than trying to help. Don't tell her I said this, but...she's not a very good shot, either.

Top Bottom