• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Background: I grew up in the foothills of California. A very conservative place, fwiw. The Calaveras Redskin was a moniker which I have always worn with pride. It has been used for over 100 years and has always had the support of the Mi-Wuk tribe (the native folks in the area). To the point that we decided not to put the image of the Redskin warrior on the floor of the gym, nor the football field as we didn't want it stepped on nor disrespected. And that was done with the knowledge and at the request of the local tribe. It made sense.

Yesterday, the California legislature passed a bill to outlaw the use of the "Redskin" moniker at the 4 remaining High Schools in California that still use it. Schwartzenegger vetoed similar bills in the past - correctly stating that it was a local matter. Anyone want to bet what Governor Moonbeam (who's all for liberty???) will do?

So today - I say with pride (and no small amount of sadness) "I am a Redskin" in the same sense that the slaves of Rome said "I am Spartacus" a long time ago. I stand with the rest of my Redskin brothers and sisters in disdain of the politically correct , symbolism over substance craphole that this country is turning into.

And for those that say "it can't happen here" or "those are just those *(&(^(*^*ing Californians" - yes, it can happen to you. This is a small local issue that truly deserved to remain as such.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Yesterday, the California legislature passed a bill to outlaw the use of the "Redskin" moniker at the 4 remaining High Schools in California that still use it.

It seems to me, so far as I have read, that this was a policy change pertaining to state-funded institutions.

The term itself has not been outlawed in any way. Private schools can still use it. People can still say it. ( I am assuming that a public school funded 100% locally could still use it too, if such a thing exists in CA).

There are strings attached for schools that receive money from the state legislature. Not saying I would have supported this.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why doesn't the school just change its mascot to the Mi-Wuks? I can see why Native America groups would have issue with the redskin term. Though Cleveland has the most offensive caricature out there. I'm surprised they still use it.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    It seems to me, so far as I have read, that this was a policy change pertaining to state-funded institutions.

The term itself has not been outlawed in any way. Private schools can still use it. People can still say it. ( I am assuming that a public school funded 100% locally could still use it too, if such a thing exists in CA).

There are strings attached for schools that receive money from the state legislature. Not saying I would have supported this.

California schools seem to be set up differently than Indiana. No such thing as pure local funding.

It's a typical case of folks in some other location trying to inflict their will in a local issue.

I'll be quiet on INGO for a while. A bunch of us are organizing a counter punch, and it will require all the spare time I have.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Why doesn't the school just change its mascot to the Mi-Wuks? I can see why Native America groups would have issue with the redskin term. Though Cleveland has the most offensive caricature out there. I'm surprised they still use it.

The local tribe and the local people are FRIENDS heck tons of them are students at the school . Have gotten along great for over a hundred years. I've not ever heard of one of the students at the school that had an issue with it - and the question has been openly asked many times. In Calaveras County, CA - there's only two High Schools. You're a Redskin or a Bullfrog (don't get me started on the jokes). Friend of mine's grandfather Graduated in 1922. His kids are 4th generation Redskins. It is a big thing to us podunk folks. Redskin is a moniker of respect there. And to my knowledge , always has been. Then some sniveling liberal (that doesn't live there) says that they think it's got a bad connotation. So you can't use it with your school. Screw that.

The situation is basically the same in all 4 schools. All are small towns near local tribes that seem to always have had good relations and hence they applied the mascot as an emblem of respect - and have used it that way for scores of years. Over a hundred in the two cases that I know best. But an activist from a couple of counties decides that they want to get all politically correct...

If there were ANY disrespect or dishonor , I would be the FIRST in line to decry it. But I have NEVER seen that. Not once. Some say that Redskin= N-Bomb. I could not say the same if that were true. Again , I'd be the first in line to decry it.

Rant over - I'm riled up.

I wonder if Tracy High School in Tracy California or Floyd Central in Southern Indiana shouldn't be the Highlanders because the local Scottish folks get a bug up their ass? Actually - if the LOCAL ones had a problem - I'd say change it. A better example would be if Scottish people in Indianapolis got a bug in their arse and said that Floyd Central had to change their mascot and their Identity . After more than a hundred years of history. And no disrespect.

Would the folks in Floyd County be pissed? Bet on it.

I'll leave all of the "there can be only one..." jokes to your imagination... :D

OK - seriously - rant over. :D

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I definitely agree that the issue should be made locally. It would be preferable if schools were 100% locally funded and politically autonomous. Unfortunately, the state pays for it and makes the rules.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The local tribe and the local people are FRIENDS heck tons of them are students at the school . Have gotten along great for over a hundred years. I've not ever heard of one of the students at the school that had an issue with it - and the question has been openly asked many times. In Calaveras County, CA - there's only two High Schools. You're a Redskin or a Bullfrog (don't get me started on the jokes). Friend of mine's grandfather Graduated in 1922. His kids are 4th generation Redskins. It is a big thing to us podunk folks. Redskin is a moniker of respect there. And to my knowledge , always has been. Then some sniveling liberal (that doesn't live there) says that they think it's got a bad connotation. So you can't use it with your school. Screw that.

The situation is basically the same in all 4 schools. All are small towns near local tribes that seem to always have had good relations and hence they applied the mascot as an emblem of respect - and have used it that way for scores of years. Over a hundred in the two cases that I know best. But an activist from a couple of counties decides that they want to get all politically correct...

If there were ANY disrespect or dishonor , I would be the FIRST in line to decry it. But I have NEVER seen that. Not once. Some say that Redskin= N-Bomb. I could not say the same if that were true. Again , I'd be the first in line to decry it.

Rant over - I'm riled up.

I wonder if Tracy High School in Tracy California or Floyd Central in Southern Indiana shouldn't be the Highlanders because the local Scottish folks get a bug up their ass? Actually - if the LOCAL ones had a problem - I'd say change it. A better example would be if Scottish people in Indianapolis got a bug in their arse and said that Floyd Central had to change their mascot and their Identity . After more than a hundred years of history. And no disrespect.

Would the folks in Floyd County be pissed? Bet on it.

I'll leave all of the "there can be only one..." jokes to your imagination... :D

OK - seriously - rant over. :D

I'm just saying I see why some native Americans find it offensive. Some obviously do not. I got no skin in the game (no pun intended), so that's between the tribes and those using the term.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I'm just saying I see why some native Americans find it offensive. Some obviously do not. I got no skin in the game (no pun intended), so that's between the tribes and those using the term.

I wish that were true, sir. I would have zero problem with that. Instead , it's being decided by sniveling politicians in Sacramento - a hundred miles away. And influenced by people who have NO idea or knowledge of the situation in the more rural area, rather, they have an axe to grind..

Thanks for putting up with the rant in any case.... I've got to go make some money so I can use it to remind a politician to not meddle where his nose doesn't belong.

Top Bottom