• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrs Evilwrench

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    I do not -yet- own my own handgun. When we have been window-shopping, I am oftentimes drawn to the revolvers. Mr Evilwrench seems less thrilled with my choice, but will ultimately leave it to me. I like the feel and the weight vs other handguns, but until I really shoot them my point of reference is limited. Any suggestions from the ladies? (or the fellas, too!)

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I feel the same as you. My revolvers are my favourite guns. Don't know why, but I've always liked the feel better and they shoot better than my semi's. Yeah, I may only have 6 shots, but I'm not running around in Kabul, either. If you find one you like, snag it. My winter carry gun is a Charter Arms .44 Special. I love that gun and love carrying it.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    nothing wrong with a revolver as it is the most reliable handgun...have a failure to fire just go to the next chamber. Will never fail to feed or fail to go into battery and no slide to rack or fail to go into batter..... a good smith and wesson snubby is a great conceal carry piece and a 44 mag or 357 mag is pretty intimidating for home defense

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Understandable.... Go for a revolver! Semi-auto, revolver, blackpowder...hey they all go bang.
    Actually a revolver is perfect for someone new to guns. Not alot to get it to go bang when you need it. When you need it is not the time to find out that you dont know how or have a hard time clearing a jam (semi auto) or that that you may not be strong enough to rack the slide of an auto. My GF has problems on my CZ75 and my Glock 30.(racking slide) I am considering either a .380 semi auto or a revolver for her to think about and try to make sure she can handle it with no problems. I own 2 revolvers also, but they are .22's.

bubba31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    I carry a revolver too for the simple fact they are the most reliable handgun as the other guys mentioned, I carry a charter arms 357 mag pug which I love, my buddy carries the charter arms 44 special bulldog an he loves his as well, my next carry gun will either be the ruger sp101 or a smith airweight in 357

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Same here O.P., wheel guns are really cool and like you, I prefer them over slide guns. The 1911 is a close second in looks IMO. Buy what YOU like! :yesway:

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    on my list of wants is ruger LCR in .38 or a new charter arms off duty DAO with the small grip. I have a Taurus Total Titanium .38 and an older charter .38 stashed around the house for the wife to have quick access just in case. i'm still kicking myself for short selling a Ruger sp101 back in the days before I discovered INGO.

I love the simplicity of revolvers. I'm into snubbies, don't like the longer barrels. My wife is not into guns, but knows how to handle revolvers. My semiautos...not so much.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I have a Ruger SP101 in .357 that is my favorite of all but it is quite a chunk of steel. The good side is the weight makes shooting .357 a breeze.

If you want something light for ccw that won't see tons of range time I suggest a S&W 340PD. It's a super light snubbie in .357. My neighbor is IMPD and that is his back up. It's a sweet revolver but twice the price of a sp101.

Good luck in your search.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have owned but do not currently own revolvers. I too am drawn to them. I think having a .357 platform would be ideal. Having the option of shooting .357, .38+P or .38 Special seems to make a lot of sense. Now, what barrel length? I am not really drawn to the ultra lightweight guns. I think they would be mui punishing.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Welcome to the darkside. Blessed be our Saints, Elmer, Skeeter, Horace, Daniel, and Sam.

We don't have cookies but we do have reliability and speedloaders.

I have many firearms but the revolvers are what I carry. Once one masters double action revolver shooting the shooting of other types of firearms just falls into place.

I am still reeling from the shock of agreeing with mrjarrell on something so please excuse me while I go splash some cold water on my face.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Get what you want to get. The way it feels for you is what is important. If it is uncomfortable in your hand/hands then you'll be less likely to shoot it, even if it is a good shooter. If you never have the chance to shoot one before you buy, do a little bit of research on which models you are interested in and at least hold them. I'm not a revolver guy myself so I won't try to pretend like I know what you should go with and recommend anything.

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Nothing wrong with a revolver and in many ways a better choice for a lot of folks. The most important thing is to buy a quality handgun that YOU like, and learn to use it.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    My SP101 has a special place in my heart. I challenge anyone to tear one up. I bet you get tired before it does...

I have been thinking about another one as well for woods carry. I am currently eyeballing the GP100 in .357. It would be too big to carry all the time but might be more reasonable than a .44 for what I want it to do.

Good luck in your search for a firearm. The looking is half the fun...

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    All the women in my life prefer revolvers. Their operation and manual of arms makes sense to them.

My wife has a Model 19 snubby that she sleeps with when I am not home and a J-frame 38 special in her console at all times.

One daughter has a Ruger GP100 in 357 and the other a Model 10 in 38 special.

I would no more tell them what gun to carry than I would tell them what color panties to wear. Their decisions were made after training with all different types of handguns and the decision was made very carefully.

Anybody who tries to mess with them will be sorry because they know how to use them.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    :yesway: on having revolvers! I alternate (because of work cloths) between my G19 and a Smith 642. Little revolvers take a bit getting used to. Hot rounds really make them go 'BOOM'.
    My second handgun purchase was a GP 100. It ROCKS :rockwoot:. Nothing like shooting Buffalo Bore or Underwood out of it and having people asking you what your shooting!

By the way, if your open carrying, a GP 100 works very well as long as you use a good quality holster (don't forget the extra speedloaders!).

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    If you like the revolver, get it. If you like the snubbies or the big hoss 6" barrels, you can even generally find one here on the classifieds, armslist, or gunbroker relatively cheaply (remember, the less you spend on your gun, the more you can spend on your ammo :))

Personally, I love revolvers. My fiance kinda likes them, but she's more a fan of the small caliber semis (.22 and .32). BigShep has it right, in that you need to get what feels comfortable and what fits your needs best. Are you going to open carry this in an OWB holster on your hip, or conceal it in an IWB holster or purse?

The last suggestion is, if you decide to get a revolver, get a good one (i.e. Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Colt, etc.). Nothing against other manufacturers, and nothing against their product, but revolvers are made to last- get one that will hold its value and be something that, in 40 years when you pass it on to your kids, it will be something they cherish. I have an old 1947 Smith and Wesson Regulation Police (pre-Model 31) that belonged to my dad that I got after he passed away. Of his half-dozen handguns, I kept that one and his primary carry pistol, a Beretta Minx. I still carry that gun, because it still shoots as well now as it ever has, and it reminds me of him.

Just my :twocents:

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Welcome to the light[STRIKE]dark[/STRIKE]side. Blessed be our Saints, Elmer, Skeeter, Horace, Daniel, and Sam.

We don't have cookies but we do have reliability and speedloaders.

I have many firearms but the revolvers are what I carry. Once one masters double action revolver shooting the shooting of other types of firearms just falls into place.

I am still reeling from the shock of agreeing with mrjarrell on something so please excuse me while I go splash some cold water on my face.

Fixed it for you

Mrs Evilwrench

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Thank you, everyone, for the advice! I am going to the Ladies' training on 9/22 and I will be using Mr E's 92FS... I agree with all of you that I won't really know until I try a few. If any of you will be at the training and happen to have an extra revolver that you just happen to bring to the training (wink) and would be willing to let a newbie have a go... I would be most appreciative!! My plan is to carry eventually, and I will keep looking until I find my match. This is not a decision to be made lightly, and, oh darn, if it means I have to plead for range time...( oh,honey, please, can we go to the range? Please oh please?) Any excuse to shoot and shop!!

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I love the simplicity of revolvers! I don't own one now, traded my last one, but am wanting another .38 special sometime, probably a Smith & Wesson snubby. We had an older Rossi .38 Special years ago with a longer barrel, it was fun to shoot! The snubbies are kinda harsh to shoot, IMO, but I still like them. Even if it turns out to not be what you want, you can always trade, or have more than one gun! I want a .38 snubby and/or a small 9mm for EDC. I'd like something with higher capacity for the night stand and fun at the range. And I love my 12 Ga O/U shotgun, too. :)

Top Bottom