I am finally ready to buy a chronograph, help me find the one right for me.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    OK, I reload and would like to chrono my loads primarily. I like easy, so easy to set up and use. I like less expensive though not at the price of being unreliable... I also wouldn't mind using it to see what would a certain wepon yield on certain load, for instance I really like the 327FM round. What will give me the proper speed to make the round work properly.

Again, I reload and want to see how well my loads preform. Something easy to use and set up, forgot something here, something repaired easily since I don;t mind lending to friends who may well blow it to poop. Like to be able to repair rather than replace. Which leads me to the fact I am willing to b e cheap though not so cheap as to be wrong. I need to know my resilts aren't wrong because I went cheap.

Feel free to ask if none of this makes sense to you as I really do want to get something that will both give me good resilts and last me a while before failure. Help me INGO, I know notheing about these things so I need your help so I don't wind up ripped off and sad. :ingo:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Looks pretty good by the reviews, (didn't find your but I didn't spend a lot of time looking) I read a lot of them and most are good. I shoot outdoors excusively so there tend to be a lot of sun, that seemed to give this one a bit of trouble. IDK, I will wait and see what else folks recommend too, thaks for yours though, love links to the item the best as they let me see the price and where it is gotten as well as the other people's reviews. Thank you! :yesway:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It all depends on how much you want to spend.
    The ProChrono and Chrony units are affordable and available in various versions, from least expensive (F-1 for the Chrony) to more deluxe models.
    If you don't mind spending considerably more, I see that Oehler is back to making their 35P and model 36, and the MagnetoSpeed mentioned by Phylo is another high end option.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have owned several, partially due to loaning to friends who put bullets through the works. The metal cased Chrony Alpha and Beta units look well made and are compact and handy, but the electronics always seemd to glitch a lot. The plastic case model from Competition Electronics (Pro Chrono)are larger but have proven to be more stable. Of you are willing to spend 3 to 5 times as much, the various Oehler units work pretty nice.

Last edited:

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    +1 on the ProChrono. I love mine. Inexpensive and works well. Although, I use it only for pistol/revolver. I don't reload rifle, I'm pretty much a handgun guy.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    I'm at the same point in my new chapter of reloading. I would however like to connect it to an Android pad. I see Caldwell has software in the Android app store.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, I have some money but not unlimited money. I will say connection with my computer would be vool but most software of the kind is Windows Only and I use a Mac. So, I can't sned a lot of money, keep it in the no more than $150 range and that's pushing it. I thank all of you for your suggestions and I am considering them, even those I know I can't afford. Perhaps I can work those on a payment plan or swwl somw stuff to make up what I don't have... Thanks and keep them coming.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    This is the brand and model used by those who certify the USPSA shooter's loads at major matches:
    CED Millennium 2 Chronograph System

This is the one to get hands down. It's nice to have the readout almost right next to you and still have the chrono down range a bit. The other nice thing, is if you happen to accidentally shoot it, you're not out any of the expensive parts since the computer itself is not attached to the sensors. :+1:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This is the brand and model used by those who certify the USPSA shooter's loads at major matches:
    CED Millennium 2 Chronograph System

This is the one to get hands down. It's nice to have the readout almost right next to you and still have the chrono down range a bit. The other nice thing, is if you happen to accidentally shoot it, you're not out any of the expensive parts since the computer itself is not attached to the sensors. :+1:

... I thank all of you for your suggestions and I am considering them, even those I know I can't afford. Perhaps I can work those on a payment plan or swwl somw stuff to make up what I don't have... Thanks and keep them coming.

Why not throw a WTB add up here in the classifieds for a CED Millenium or other higher end chrono? Never know what might turn up?

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    After having a couple sky screens get shot I wouldn't want the units with the brain sitting at the base of the sky screen. First time I shot mine I was using a scoped rifle and didn't take into account the view through the scope was clear but the path from the muzzle wasn’t, one new sensor and back in business. The second time this happened I loaned the chronograph to a friend who managed to blow a hole through it. Only a few bucks and back in business.

I have had a Pact Mk IV and the CED Millennium, less problems with the CED unit.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    After having a couple sky screens get shot I wouldn't want the units with the brain sitting at the base of the sky screen. First time I shot mine I was using a scoped rifle and didn't take into account the view through the scope was clear but the path from the muzzle wasn’t, one new sensor and back in business. The second time this happened I loaned the chronograph to a friend who managed to blow a hole through it. Only a few bucks and back in business.

I have had a Pact Mk IV and the CED Millennium, less problems with the CED unit.

Shooting thee thing is my biggest concern. No because I am a bad shot but more because Poop Happens. Thanks for the input.

Top Bottom