I am so glad you can not carry in IndyParks!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    To answer your question, yes, I've grown a little tired of the goons
    ruining things for the honest people.
    And it doesn't stop there either.
    Don't feel safe having family reunions in any of the parks because of
    the perverts running loose either.
    Kinda wish someone like the old TV show THE EQUALIZER would start taking care of business here in Indy. Give our trails and parks back, heck we're paying for them.

Last edited:

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Antsi,

I like your thinking. I honestly don't know what I would do. I would think I would be able to defend myself against 2 guys for a reasonable time I guess. I'm in decent shape, strong, can still hold my own against my teenage wrestling sons, (at least for a few minutes :rolleyes:) etc, etc. In the situation of riding the Monon I would imagine that the perps just surprised the rider by quickly knocking him off the bike, etc.

I carry because I want to be able to defend myself and be able to get myself out of a bad situation if need be. Some would say that the bad guy or guys would use my own weapon against me. I would hope not. I just wonder how many young potential thugs would think twice before attacking someone if one of their own would get shot by a armed citizen as the result of an assault. There doesn't seem to be a consequence for these actions.

I know I don't want to plan my day around when and where it's safe to travel, have fun, or do business.

Ok, I'll go take my meds now. Tommorrow will be a better day!:cool:

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Does anybody know if carrying a weapon in a park is a misdemeanor or simply a civil infraction? I have rolled around the Marion County Ordinance website, and it appears that if you got caught, you would only be subject to a fine. There is no provision that I can find where you could be incarcerated, your firearm taken away, etc. It looks like it's a speeding ticket, basically. Any thoughts?
    I believe (but don't know for sure) that they can and will confiscate the weapon. Any of the INGO legal professionals have any input?

Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Given the propensity for crime along the Monon Trail, you'd be a fool not to CC while using it. I would love to see the court challenge brought by an LTCH holder defending himself while being accosted by criminals on the MT, then being arrested for violation of an unconstitutional local ordinance.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Please pardon me if I sound stupid, but where can one find the law that says it's illegal to carry in IndyParks? The only information I can find is at this link http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf , and it says nothing about not carrying in parks.

State law allows towns and cities to regulate their parks if it is a municipal owned park(or other property for that matter).

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Antsi,

I like your thinking. I honestly don't know what I would do. I would think I would be able to defend myself against 2 guys for a reasonable time I guess. I'm in decent shape, strong, can still hold my own against my teenage wrestling sons, (at least for a few minutes :rolleyes:) etc, etc. In the situation of riding the Monon I would imagine that the perps just surprised the rider by quickly knocking him off the bike, etc.

I carry because I want to be able to defend myself and be able to get myself out of a bad situation if need be. Some would say that the bad guy or guys would use my own weapon against me. I would hope not. I just wonder how many young potential thugs would think twice before attacking someone if one of their own would get shot by a armed citizen as the result of an assault. There doesn't seem to be a consequence for these actions.

I know I don't want to plan my day around when and where it's safe to travel, have fun, or do business.

Ok, I'll go take my meds now. Tommorrow will be a better day!:cool:

You know... I hear this one too often. If it is so easy for the criminal to take the gun away from the intended victim, then it is equally easy for the intended victim to take it back from the criminal. I'm with you: Defend yourself as needed.

Toby Keith and Willie Nelson said it best:

Grandpappy told my pappy
    Back in my day, son
    A man had to answer
    For the wicked thing he done
    Take all the rope in Texas
    Find a tall oak tree
    Round up all of them bad boys
    And hang 'em high in the street
    For all the people to see

We got too many gangsters
    Doing dirty deeds
    Too much corruption
    And crime in the streets
    It's time the long arm of the law
    Put a few more in the ground
    Send them all to their Maker
    And he'll set them on down
    You can bet, He'll set 'em down

Personally, I don't think that the long arm of the law always wears a badge. Contrary to how the Brady Bunch wants to portray us, we're not vigilantes, so I don't think we should go looking for troublemakers like this, but if they come looking for us, I think the ground is a good place for them.

Blessings,
    Bill

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    Please pardon me if I sound stupid, but where can one find the law that says it's illegal to carry in IndyParks? The only information I can find is at this link http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf , and it says nothing about not carrying in parks.
    No, you don't sound stupid. This is a valid question that is asked often.

Indianapolis Code of Ordinance

Sec. 631-108. Discharging firearms.
    It shall be unlawful for any person, unless authorized by resolution of the board of parks and recreation, to discharge any firearms or have possession of any firearms or other explosive devices, or to endanger others by the use of any weapon, article or device, within any park, playground or on any property controlled or leased by the department of parks and recreation, or on which a concession has been granted by it.

(Code 1975, § 22-8)

Cross references: Weapons, ch. 451.

And for a list of placed controlled by IndyParks:

Eagle Creek Park
    Garfield Park
    Riverside Park
    Sahm Park
    Southeastway Park
    Southwestway Park
    Bethel Park
    Broad Ripple Park
    Brookside Park
    Christian Park
    Douglass Park
    Ellenberger Park
    Glenns Valley Nature Park
    Holliday Park
    JTV Hill Park
    Krannert Park
    Municipal Gardens
    Northwestway Park
    Perry Park
    Post Road Park
    Raymond Park/Indy Island
    Rhodius Park
    Thatcher Park
    Washington Park
    Watkins Park
    Windsor Village Park

Al E. Polin Park
    Andrew Ramsey Park
    Arsenal Park
    Babe Denny Park
    Barton Park
    Beckwith Memorial Park
    Bel Aire Park
    Bellamy Park
    Bertha Ross Park
    Beville Park
    Bluff Road Park
    Bowman Park
    Brightwood Park
    Broadway & 29th Street Park
    Broadway and 61st Park
    Brown's Corner Memorial Park
    Canterbury Park
    Carson Park
    Centennial and Groff Park
    Centennial and 20th Park
    Chapel Hill Park
    Christina Oaks Park
    Clayton and LaSalle Park
    Denver Park
    Dequincy Park
    Doris Cowherd Park
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Park
    Dubarry Park
    Eagle Highlands Neighborhood Park
    Edna Balz Lacy Park
    Eva Talley Park
    Faculty Park
    Fairview Park
    Fall Creek and 16th Park
    Fall Creek and 30th Park
    Finch Park
    Forest Manor Park
    Fox Hill Manor
    Franklin Township Community Park
    Frank Young Park
    Friedman Park
    Gardner Park
    Gateway West Park
    German Church and 30th Park
    Greene Park
    Gustafson Park
    Haughville Park
    Hawthorne Park
    Highland Park
    Hot Shot Tot Lot
    Indianola Park
    James Foster Bruiser Gaines Park
    John Ed Park
    Juan Solomon Park
    Kelly ParkKin Hubbard Memorial Park
    Lentz Park
    Little Valley Park
    Max Bahr Park
    McCarty Triangle Park
    McCord Park
    Moreland Park
    Olin Park
    Orange Park
    Oscar Charleston Park
    Patricia Park
    Presidential Place
    Pride Park
    Paul Ruster Park
    Porter Playfield
    Ransom Place
    Retherford Park
    Rev Mozel Sanders Park
    Ridenour Park
    Ringgold Park
    Robey Park
    Roselawn Park
    Ross Claypool Park
    Sandorf Park
    Sexton Park
    Shambaugh Park Southside Park
    Spades Park
    Stacy Park
    Stout Field
    Stringtown Park
    Tarkington Park
    Thompson Park
    Tolin-Akeman Park
    Virginia Lee O'Brien Park
    Wes Montgomery Park
    Willard Park
    Wish Park

BMX Track
    Chuck Klein Softball Complex
    Golc Soccer Fields
    KuntzSoccerandSportsComplex.
    Lake Sullivan Sports Complex
    Major Taylor Velodrome
    Skatepark
    Soap Box Derby Hill
    Major Taylor Velodrome

Clover Leaf Conservation Area
    Friedman Park
    Grassy Creek Park
    Gray Park
    Iron Gate Conservation Area
    Kitley Woods
    Lake Sullivan
    Lappin Way
    Marott Park Woods Nature Preserve
    Skiles Test Nature Park
    Stables Chase Nature Sanctuary
    Stamm Park
    Upper Fall Creek
    Wollens Gardens

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I am not in the Monon Trap....er Trail area, so I can only say that, if I were so inclined to be there on foot or biking, I would be with 2 close friends (Mr. Smith & Mr. Wesson) OCing all the time. More than once have they diffused what could have been an ugly situation just by being there.

Besides, I would far prefer to show the LEO my permit and explain why I am OCing than to have my wife hear people say "Doesn't he look natural laying there".

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Permit or not, it is illegal to carry on the Monon. The Parks dept. and the politicians in Indy have decided to make it a victim disarmament zone. If you're caught you'll likely be cited and have your firearm confiscated. Your best bet is to stay off the trail or start a serious lobbying campaign to remove restrictions on carrying in the Indy parks system.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I ride/run the trail all of the time starting from downtown. I have never had a problem but I do sometimes make sure I can take care of myself. The only thing close to trouble that I have seen was once someone on a bike said some kids were throwing rocks but they did not do anything to me. I got pawned once when one kid in a group of kids with bikes came right at me and did this pretty slick move of skidding sideways right in front of my front wheel making me put on the brakes, which was the point of what they were doing. I got very mad but when I cooled down, I was actually impressed. They all rode off laughing. I think the trick was good enough that I would not have hit him even if I had not put on my brakes.

Down towards town, there are more and more riders on the Monon. There will be even more when the Cultural Trail connects it. The last incident was much further north around 56th st where I would consider it would be safer. The questionable area would be from 16th to 38th where the neighborhoods are a bit rougher but I have never had any problems.

I am not going to stop using the trail, but I will always try to stay aware of the situation just as you would anywhere. It is just too bad it is against the law to carry on it.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Looks like my Mother in law's house is the only place in Indy I can legaly carry.10th and Emerson is not good now. 30+ years ago I dated a gal in that neighborhood and didn't worry (much) about crime.I'm glad I never go to any of the Indy 'SAFE' zones.

Hiram Abiff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Wayne Co.
    Must have been a couple of disadvantaged youths cast aside by society, living in poverty conditions in a one parent home, the taxpayer should pay for counseling, better living conditions and then they will become more productive members of society. Really, it's all our fault. Any clue as to the ethnicity of the victim and the "alleged" perpetrators?
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::lmfao::lmfao::lol2::lol2:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    So what the state is saying, through their parks service, is that it is ok for criminals to be armed on the Monon but not honest persons.

Time for some letter writing!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The beauty of the parks "lack of" service ruling is that criminals now have a victim rich zone, safe in the knowledge that they can be armed, but their targets cannot be. As I said in the parallel thread to this one, it's time to start a massive letter writing campaign.

Top Bottom