I Can not tell if I am more Angry or Hurt?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Once again a local Kid’s life was cut short by stupidity, Alcohol, and a unsecured firearm. Without putting anything out there that is not in the public domain. I would like to pose a question with regards to what can be done to stop these needless deaths among our youth? I am not asking about some sort of safe storage legislation, but rather a real solution.

Help me understand why we can not teach firearms safety as early as 3rd grade? A blue gun and a competent teacher could go a long way. Why would it be so wrong to teach our youth that firearms just like any other tool can be dangerous if misused? And why can’t we teach them proper handling, and what to do if they were to come across one.

Seems there is no issue teaching multiple levels of math, English or any other subject, so why not age appropriate firearms training Through out their academic years?

Just looking for some type of viable solution.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I believe that gun safety starts in the home and too many parents are either scared of firearms and so they never teach the kids because they don't have guns. If this happens many times the kid finds a gun either at another household or thrown onto the street. Myself I was raised around guns and was taught from an early age. This meant that my kids were also taught. While I would like to see the schools teach firearm safety I don't see it happening.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Once again a local Kid’s life was cut short by stupidity, Alcohol, and a unsecured firearm. Without putting anything out there that is not in the public domain. I would like to pose a question with regards to what can be done to stop these needless deaths among our youth? I am not asking about some sort of safe storage legislation, but rather a real solution.

Help me understand why we can not teach firearms safety as early as 3rd grade? A blue gun and a competent teacher could go a long way. Why would it be so wrong to teach our youth that firearms just like any other tool can be dangerous if misused? And why can’t we teach them proper handling, and what to do if they were to come across one.

Seems there is no issue teaching multiple levels of math, English or any other subject, so why not age appropriate firearms training Through out their academic years?

Just looking for some type of viable solution.
    I mean we could blame the school…. Not sure if this comes off as callous but…… I think that blame is misplaced, if adults have firearms in the house they should teach their children themselves… like the old days before .gov or have them secured like Fort Knox obviously the second option just peaks curiosity.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I believe that gun safety starts in the home and too many parents are either scared of firearms and so they never teach the kids because they don't have guns. If this happens many times the kid finds a gun either at another household or thrown onto the street. Myself I was raised around guns and was taught from an early age. This meant that my kids were also taught. While I would like to see the schools teach firearm safety I don't see it happening.
    Same here but I am not going to give up on trying to make it a reality.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A 6 yo in Evansville found his parent's gun this week and accidentally shot himself. Eddie eagle used to be taught in the schools. I don't know if it still is.
    I don't think Eddie Eagle had been thought of when I was in school, but I would love to see it. I bought an Eddie Eagle dvd for two of our grandkids. My dad taught me about gun safety.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I mean we could blame the school…. Not sure if this comes off as callous but…… I think that blame is misplaced, if adults have firearms in the house they should teach their children themselves… like the old days before .gov or have them secured like Fort Knox obviously the second option just peaks curiosity.
    Oh I agree but I am trying to focus on finding a solution versus casting blame. I to believe we should teach our children. Mine was shooting at age 6 with a full understanding how they were to be properly handled and used.

But sadly I think there is a generation out there that could care less.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Oh I agree but I am trying to focus on finding a solution versus casting blame. I to believe we should teach our children. Mine was shooting at age 6 with a full understanding how they were to be properly handled and used.

But sadly I think there is a generation out there that could care less.
    I mean why are we sitting around waiting for ”someone” to fix it? It starts with parents being parents. Actually that would solve a whole host of current problems.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I mean why are we sitting around waiting for ”someone” to fix it? It starts with parents being parents. Actually that would solve a whole host of current problems.
    That is my position exactly. I get it a loving two parent household yeah that is ideal. But sadly many have moved beyond the importance of family.

But I do not want to be the one sitting around so yeah I am going to work to find a solution.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    @wcd I am with you. While I believe that it is the parents primary responsibility to teach children about gun safety and marksmanship the reality of it is since the 1940s our nation has been primarily Urban. In an urbanized society with less and less opportunity to learn marksmanship skills in a controlled environment our nation's children have suffered for generations.

I have been pressing my state legislators to pass legislation which would require the teaching of firearm safety in the grade school years and require demonstration of marksmanship capability before graduation.

My premise is two fold, one the safety aspect. The second however is in recognition of each male's entrance into the unorganized militia at the age of 17. Our youth need to be trained in firearms marksmanship so that they are not canon fodder should they be called upon.

For the 2023 legislative session I will again hit up my new representative to put forward such legislation. I do not expect it to happen but feel free to join me. The more voices heard on this topic, the more it has a chance.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Same could be said about alcohol and automobiles for teenagers and adults. You can fix either, just saying.
    Exactly there are a TON of deaths from misused tools (children and adults) every year I think emphasizing the gun accidents does nothing good for the big picture.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    No doubt this starts at home. Albeit 6 is pretty young for this type of tragedy. I recently overheard my 13 year old son tell his friend while they were shooting airsoft to keep his finger off the trigger until he was ready to shoot. At 6, not so much. This is on the parents for not keeping their stuff secure.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    This is by design. The left wants to ban guns, so let's stop teaching gun safety (to make us scared of guns) then use the tragedy (to the lefts delight) to tell everyone to be scared and follow us (the left) in calling for baning guns.
    It's all about control....total control over every bit of your life

Top Bottom