I can't believe how high the guns sold for at a farm auction!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    It's been a couple of years and I've only gone to larger gun auctions, but they sold using an FFL and background check. Do some auctions not do that?

/QUOTE]

If an Auction is a true Estate auction, held at the the residence of the owner, No new items brought in, No sales tax needs to be charged and I have seen Auctioneers hand out the guns to the bidders with out a back ground check. The firearms at that moment belong to the estate, and the estate is responsible to make sure the guns are sold to correct people. If the Firearms or auction items are moved to another building, sales tax is charged and the Auctioneer will assume those responsibilities and then always a background check will be involved in the transfer.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I was wondering what the 1911 would go for. I'd thought about going in hopes of snagging a deal since it was a "farm" auction but then decided not to waste my time. I've been looking for a war issue 1911 but this one definitely wasn't it. The best deals I've seen at auctions have been surprisingly at police auctions. I don't know if it's because the gang bangers are there to buy back their favorite gat or whatever they call them or something else but I've seen pretty good prices there.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    The last estate auction I went to I bought almost 7K pounds or about $1400 worth of scrap metal for less than $300. The beat up 39A went for right at $800 and the Winchester 1200 went for $350. I talked to the auctioneer after and he told me that almost every time that happens it is family members buying a family heirloom. They sold a wedding quilt for $5000 same day that he said was only worth about half of that.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    Are there many farm auctions there? Been to a few here in ND.... seen some guns go pretty cheap and others go for crazy $$.... once there was several boxes of Rem Core-Lokt .270WIN I wanted. Winning bid was $26/box!! And this was before the ammo fiasco a couple years back. Brand new was $22... stoopid. I had never been to this type of auction until I moved to ND. You can get some real nice bargains.

I went to one looking at a nice 22-250 w/ scope. Everybody dropped out after $75, I figured 'SWEET'.... then it was me and one other guy. Once it hit $225 I figured I could go brand new for close to that. Later found out it was his uncle's gun, that he hunted with alongside his uncle. I wish I knew, and wouldn't have bid up. Funny thing, my wife went along so I wouldn't 'spend too much'. No guns came home, but we got a really nice set of fine bone china and sterling silver flatware for a total of about $60!!

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    Neighbor down the road a piece had a farm auction with 5 or 6 guns listed.
    After the first one, a well used Remington 870 Express, sold for $400, I went home!

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Me and the woman attend some auctions from time to time just what others have said people spend more than the guns worth but guess people keep going they will always be someone to overpay

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    My experience is that there is indeed a sucker born every minute, and they spend far more time at auctions than the rest of us.

pmorriso

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    I attended the same auction on Saturday. It was amazing watching the reactions on peoples faces to see the prices sky rocket. I went in hopes of buying the browning .22 but after I saw the single six go for $800 I knew I didn't stand a chance. Big waste of time.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I go to auctions when I can, buy when it's a deal or something I'm looking for. I pass on vastly more stuff than I buy, but if you don't hunt, you don't get the big buck.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Years ago I used to go to auctions and as soon as I saw how they were conducted I quit going. Ripoff gunshows are nothing compared to what these people get away with.

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    My wife, MIL & FIL seem to think it's a good time to stand around for hours in hopes they can bid on an item & win, You could say I married into a family of auction addicts.
    Me personally, I would much rather haggle an advertised price down than bid something up.
    I was with my FIL a few weeks back at a local weekly auction that had a few guns up...I went to see what they were & give him an idea of value.
    Most of them went for above what I see retail (gun shop used prices) then add auction fees & the additional FFL fee.
    Auction = no bargains "IMO".

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I used to attend almost every auction in my area ~ within 30 or 40 mile. Many years ago, I determined that when an auction advertised several firearms all the prices went through the roof. I have seen many guns go for twice their retail value - and not to family members. I think there are many first time firearm buyers that have zero knowledge about pricing or even where / how to purchase a firearm.

The only decent buys I have seen at auctions is when the auction is advertised as an "Antique" or just general estate auction, and one or two firearms are sold. In those cases it seems all the buyers are there for something else. I haven't gone to any auctions that advertise firearms for 10 years or so as I consider it a waste of my time.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I had a guy come in the shop...One of the hardest things I have to do is tell people bad news....A gent came in with a Colt Bisley in "rare factory nickle finish"....(or so he thought)...The Bisley frame was added on later and was a poor fit...I mean a very poor fit..Gaps you could slide a credit card through...Maybe two....The nickel was terrible, cheaply done, flaking throughout, pitted metal underneath...There never were any factory nickel Bisley's made......

He told me he paid $4000 at an auction but he would let me have it for $3500...I told him I would pass....

It's the "Antique's Roadshow" and "Pawn Stars" effect...Folks see people come on these shows with auction finds that end up being worth a mint and think they can pull it off as well....

Cattman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Franklin
    I was there and shocked by the prices. Not mentioned are the ammo prices. 100 rd. box of CCI 22 for $25, 400 rds. of Winchester 22 $80 ect.

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    It's called SHILLS. These good ol' boys farm auctions are a trap. I attended one a few years back and was amazed that when a decent gun came up and the bid was way below where it should be, this one "kid" would raise his hand and win it. Then I noticed that the "kid" didn't ever look at the auctioneer, but one of the auctioneers co-hearts who would look the "kids" way and amazingly the "kid" would bid it up. It really pissed me off and that's the last scam auction I attended.

Top Bottom