• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I just accepted a new job offer from a competing company to the one I was working for. I went out of my way to make sure all my projects were caught up and that there was a smooth transition. I gave a reasonable amount of time for them to get their ducks in a row.

The cell phone I had was my personal number from before I joined the company. The first few years I just expensed my bill every month until they decided all cell phones must be company owned and I had to sign my number over to them or get a new business number to keep my old number. I did not want two phones and understood I would lose it if I left.

After 8 years of doing great work for them and doing more than most would before I left, I ask one simple favor which was to allow me to leave a message that said "You have reached the former cell phone of (name). If this is a business call please call the office at xxx-xxxx. If this is a personal call, please use my new number xxx-xxxx.

Now keep in mind that I have known my manager for over 25 years. We worked as partners on projects before I went to the same company.

He looked me in the face and said "sure I can do that for you" and I recorded the message.

He drove me to my house because I turned in my company vehicle and no sooner got back to the office before he had the message changed and removed all reference to my personal number.

If he had had the balls to just say he was not going to do it I would not be angry but he has always been a weasel and it just POs me. I have the code for the voicemail so I should just go in a re-record what I want but I just want to be done with the POS.

Why can't people just say what they are going to do? I try to be honest with people even when it is not what they want to hear.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You can't help what other people do. Sounds like you did the right thing(s). It's on him. Forget about it and move on. I don't blame you for being perturbed. I would be too. But you're just wasting calories by even worrying about it...instead redirect that worry towards doing a bang-up job at your new place of employment.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Weasels, the world is full of them. Sounds like you covered your end honorably so just forget about the bad.

Never settle for the lesser of two weasels.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    Knowing him to have always been a weasel this should not be a surprise.

This is a standard management move. It isolates you from their customer base.

It's just silly though. Does anyone think I don't have all my contacts backed up? You can't take away relationships you have built. I just see it as spite.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Situation sucks for sure, but could have been avoided by keeping your personal number, PERSONAL. Two phones isn't a problem with most people that have company phones, except maybe, Hillary Clinton, but even that was a lie!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Situation sucks for sure, but could have been avoided by keeping your personal number, PERSONAL. Two phones isn't a problem with most people that have company phones, except maybe, Hillary Clinton, but even that was a lie!

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

The last 20 years in a service truck I always had a company phone. Kept business and personal as separated as possible. All important customer contacts backed up on my personal phone.
    When it came time to move on the phone was returned with no issues on me.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Yeah...A few years ago, they started giving out phones at work. The one manager we had encouraged folks to use it for their personal use. Ehhh....no. The last thing I needed was someone to wake up some day and decide they'd audit what sorts of stuff you're doing with "company property" and decide that wasn't appropriate, etc. Besides, when I felt compelled to carry both I would and when I needed a break, the company phone got safely put away.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    You did go to work for a competitor, you are lucky they didn't cut you loose when you told them you were quiting.

That would have been fine with me but would have been massively stupid on their part. They needed me to make a smooth transition. I have ethics that I live by even though I am going to a competitor, I continued to do my best until the day I left.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh

I am aware of that and I made a choice knowing I would lose the phone. I would not be upset if he had just said he would not allow it, I am upset that he looked me in the face and lied to me.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I just accepted a new job offer from a competing company to the one I was working for. I went out of my way to make sure all my projects were caught up and that there was a smooth transition. I gave a reasonable amount of time for them to get their ducks in a row.

The cell phone I had was my personal number from before I joined the company. The first few years I just expensed my bill every month until they decided all cell phones must be company owned and I had to sign my number over to them or get a new business number to keep my old number. I did not want two phones and understood I would lose it if I left.

After 8 years of doing great work for them and doing more than most would before I left, I ask one simple favor which was to allow me to leave a message that said "You have reached the former cell phone of (name). If this is a business call please call the office at xxx-xxxx. If this is a personal call, please use my new number xxx-xxxx.

Now keep in mind that I have known my manager for over 25 years. We worked as partners on projects before I went to the same company.

He looked me in the face and said "sure I can do that for you" and I recorded the message.

He drove me to my house because I turned in my company vehicle and no sooner got back to the office before he had the message changed and removed all reference to my personal number.

If he had had the balls to just say he was not going to do it I would not be angry but he has always been a weasel and it just POs me. I have the code for the voicemail so I should just go in a re-record what I want but I just want to be done with the POS.

Why can't people just say what they are going to do? I try to be honest with people even when it is not what they want to hear.
    record the message and then add the recording of him saying you could do it at the end.

Top Bottom