I could use some advice. Feeling.. Stuck?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikeshep1462

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Sweetser
    Hey guys, as the title suggest, I could use a little "life advice". I am feeling, I don't know, stagnant may be a good term for it. I am only 23 years old, will be 24 in May. I am self employed, and I love what I do. I am a lamp-worker, that is, essentially a glass blower, who uses a torch to heat the glass rather than a furnace. I'm finding it very hard these past few years to be motivated, or even enjoy what I'm doing for a living. Living the "starving artist" lifestyle can be rather stressful at times, along with all the other duties that being your own boss requires. The aspects of taxes, no health insurance, no "real" retirement plan, lack of stability, long hours with hardly any days off, getting orders done in an acceptable time frame, the buying/replacing and keeping on top of raw materials such as glass, oxygen, propane, tools, etc., are starting to really pile up and turn into a large amount of stress.

That said, I do still love what I do. I work for a distributor, a very good one at that. This means I do not have to do any leg work to sell my work, and I can use that time to make more glass, which compensates for the 30% cut they take for selling my work. That is very fair for what they do for me. They buy everything I make, and usually get me my checks within a reasonable amount of time. Usually.. The biggest problem is usually my lack of productivity, which I feel is a direct result of the stress I am under at times, and the fact that I am extremely bored with the repetitiveness of what I do. I am a production worker, so I am always making the same things over, and over, and over, again. I got into this because it is something I love, and I wanted to make a living doing something other than the factory grind for the rest of my life. Thing is, the way I work, I may as well be a factory worker, except I am the factory. Even with all this work I do, I feel as though I'm just spinning my tires.. I'm starting to have doubts as to if this is the way I want my life to play out. In fact, I have been feeling this way for the past year or so now. My girlfriend is a nurse, so she makes good money, but I feel it is extremely unfair for her to have to pick up my slack when I don't get things done on time and bills are due. I always make the money, albeit sometimes a little late. I still feel bad about this though.

When I was a kid, I always wanted to be a part of law enforcement. A sniper for the S.W.A.T. team to be exact. As I got a little bit older, these desires began to fade away as I started to gain a sense of dislike for police and authority. I was not a trouble maker as a kid per say, but I did a lot of things I probably should not have either, including but not limited to drugs. I never did any of the "hard drugs" or never was a drug addict, but I did do my fair share of partaking as well.

As I have gotten older and matured, I no longer have that feeling of disdain towards law enforcement. I do not care for drug use anymore, though I also do not agree with the war on drugs as well. I feel that the war on drugs is a gross misuse of both federal and local resources/money, and infringes on the liberties of a "free citizen". I do not feel putting someone in jail for drugs does any good for the user, or the tax payer. Not for non-violent drug offenders at least. I do feel that violent drug offenders, or addicts who steal to get their fix SHOULD be locked up though.

As I age and mature, I am starting to feel that pull towards law enforcement again. I do not desire to be one of the "power trip" type of police officers that most people have experienced at least once in their lives, or the guy who is just out to get ya for every little thing. I would like to be the type of police officer who does good for his community, and sets the example of a person of exemplary morals and values to the community at large. I want to help people, and make them feel good about law enforcement, not hurt people. I do understand that may be part of the job at times as well. This is where I really feel I need some advice, and I thought what better place than here, seeing as there is a good amount of LEO's on here and people of like-mindedness.. I think..

As I said, I do love what I do, but I am feeling stuck in life. I feel like a career in law enforcement will get me much further in life. It feel like it would allow me to do more of the things I enjoy, both physically, and financially. Glass will always hold a special place in my heart, and I could always keep it as a hobby I think. This would also allow me to do only the things I want to do glass-wise, instead of only the things I need to do in order to get a paycheck. So the question begs to be asked, should I change my career to a job in law enforcement? I think I would enjoy it quite a bit. It would give me the opportunity to help individuals in the community, and make my community a better, safer place all together. I think it would give a me general sense of doing good, which my current job does not provide so much. There's also the added plus of getting to use and train with one of my favorite things.. Firearms! Not to sound like I want to shoot somebody. That is the last thing I would want to have to do, but I feel I could if the situation required it. I would just really love the aspect of being highly trained in firearms and self defense more so than I am! At this time I feel as though I'm leaning more towards yes, than I am leaning towards no.

I have some questions though. I know what I have read on the internet regarding these questions, but I would like to hear it from people with real life experience in law enforcement. How is the job market for law enforcement? How is the general pay? Do you truly enjoy what you do? Do most departments in Indiana pay for you to go to the police academy, or is that on me? If I need a college degree, do most departments pay for you to go after getting hired on, or do I need to get a degree first? Getting a degree first may be a bit of an issue for me due to already being so wrapped up in work, and not having enough money as it is to go to school, and work at the same time. My girlfriend says she doesn't mind carrying the wait for awhile if that is the case though. I would feel pretty bad if she did have to though. I'm feeling like I should set up a day to speak with my local police chief for further advice, and maybe set up a ride along in order to get a small feel for the job. Is this a good route to go? I feel it is. I think it would be really cool to work my way up through the ranks to something like homicide detective or something similar one day. I understand this may take awhile. How hard is this to achieve? It seems like most detectives end up working as a "normal Officer" for 10 or 15 years before being promoted to detective. I would not have an issue with that. How accurate is that assumption?

Sorry for the really long read, but the stress of my work has been weighing heavily on my mind lately, and I have been thinking about this for awhile now. Any advice you guys can offer is greatly appreciated. I'm quite positive I have a lot more questions as well that are just not coming to mind right now. I will most likely ask them as I think of them as well. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Moparracer89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    NWI
    Not related to law enforcement, but still related. This is my opinion and experience. You have to quit blowing glass as your primary job/income and find something else whatever it may be, and blow glass on the side on your own time. I went to school and tried to make a career out of something I truly love doing. After two years of school and two years in the industry I was totally burned out to the point I didnt enjoy it anymore. I realized this and changed career paths slighty, to the point where I can do what I love on the side and truly enjoy it.

Mikeshep1462

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Sweetser
    Thanks for the input Moparracer89. That is exactly how I feel. This is something I truly love, but after 5 years of being a production worker, I am feeling rather burnt out with it. If I could do it on my own time, and do whatever I want, I feel that passion for the art would be rekindled, and I would be much happier.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Not law enforcement either but here is my 2 cents for what it's worth. I went to school to be an electrician started in high school landed a nice co-op at a local manufacturing plant. They paid for my college I made it through 2 years in electrical engineering and called it quits. I stayed on at the same plant and oddly enough have advanced into a electrical mechanical hybrid type position. I design e-testing tooling to test our products. So some PCB design with mechanical fixturing. Long story short I've been there 13 years now and it's just going through the motions . I'm married and have 2 kids and I no longer have the luxury to look elsewhere, people depend on me. I think back some times and really really regret not joining the military but I know I wouldn't have the life I have now and wouldn't really change anything if I could.
    I guess my point is your a young man your not married nor do you have kids. Make mistakes ,find what makes you happy and pull the trigger while you have options. My younger brother just went through a bad break up and I kind of told him the same thing look at your life and see where you want to be. Go for what makes you happy you only live once. You can always go back to your glass gig it's not going anywhere.

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    So you say that you don't agree with the war on drugs, if you were an officer and stopped a car for a violation and found that the occupants were shooting heroin, are you gonna act on it and enforce the law or are you gonna ignore it?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    How many hours a week are you working? Have you ever tried to sell your work on your own or done custom contract work? Sounds like you enjoy the craft but not the monotony it's turned in to. What type of glass do you make?

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    Maybe find someone who would like to learn and apprentice them. I've found that teaching someone skills I've learned keeps it fresh

Mikeshep1462

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Sweetser
    So you say that you don't agree with the war on drugs, if you were an officer and stopped a car for a violation and found that the occupants were shooting heroin, are you gonna act on it and enforce the law or are you gonna ignore it?

I would most certainly arrest them for such a violation. To me, this would be the equivalent of drinking and driving, if not even worse. This presents a danger to the public where as sitting in your home and doing your drugs does not. As long as they are not harming the public or stealing to get their drugs, i have no problem with them doing their drugs in their own home. It's really no different than getting drunk in your own home in my mind.

Mikeshep1462

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Sweetser
    How many hours a week are you working? Have you ever tried to sell your work on your own or done custom contract work? Sounds like you enjoy the craft but not the monotony it's turned in to. What type of glass do you make?

I usually work between 12-16 hours per day, and I usually work for about 2 weeks solid, then take a day or 2 off to rest the day I finish the order. At least when I'm being productive. Here lately I don't care for what I have to do so much that I find myself going to work and sitting on the computer for hours and then working for an hour or 2 then till I get bored and leave. I have tried to sell my work on my own, but it is usually way more work than it is worth. In order to make enough money to actually make a decent living selling on your own, you either need to be one of the top names in the industry who's work is highly sought after, and usually sells for at least $1000 per piece, or have a very large list of stores to sell to spread out over multiple states. The amount of footwork required to sell enough glass to make a decent wage is just too much for one person to do on their own. I have made everything that will make money. Marbles, pendants, glass pipes, sculptures, paper weights, wine stoppers, you name it, i've probably made it. Honestly, glass pipes are the best thing to pay the bills. They are the only thing that doesn't sit for months. I got into it with the intent on not making pipes, but the way the economy is, nobody wants to buy anything but! No one cares to buy any real art stuff or anything right now, but that's what I want to do. . I enjoy making pendants and marbles by far the most. This is why I want to be able to do it as a hobby instead of a main source of income. I would like to be able to make anything but pipes and not worry if it sells or not. If I could go to a job, collect a paycheck which would pay my bills, along with expenses to blow glass for a hobby, I would make a really nice couple hundred dollar marble or two per week, and maybe a few pendants as well, and it wouldn't natter how long they sit around for. I would also like to dedicate some time to making more sculptures and getting good at things like the female form. Something I currently don't have time to do.

Mikeshep1462

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Sweetser
    Maybe find someone who would like to learn and apprentice them. I've found that teaching someone skills I've learned keeps it fresh

Your not really able to make enough money teaching glass blowing to make a living unless you work for a college scientific shop. I do not know how to do scientific work, as much of it is extremely complicated and requires going to a school to learn. It takes years, usually 20+, to get to the required skill level in scientific glass work to teach at a college or scientific shop.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    sweetser has or had a reserve program maybe you should talk to the marshal (I think they have an acting marshal right now dont they) and see if and when they will have a position open reserve programs can and will help tremendously in getting on full time somewhere.

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    What you seem to want to be is a peace officer ,not a law enforcement officer. My brother was a United States Marshal for 20 years, before that a member of Miami Vice about 10 years ect. It,s not a easy life and your time is not your own {you really got to love it} Your chief may not see things as you do ,and if you do not kiss ass getting ahead will be tough.My brothers wife was always fearing his possible death in the line of duty [got to consider that ] I have been a floor installer for 40 years and have never loved my job,but being a perfectionist I do it very well.I live and work for my wife and kids ,once your married its not about you anymore. So doing something you really like is worth the time and effort,just be sure your not fooling yourself.Being a [peace officer] is not all fun and games . Look into it ,do some ride along s , and talk to those officers in your area and get there take on it. I am also a artist [Oil Paintings] Been doing it since high school I paint what I like and sell at art shows have won my share of awards,and rarely take commissions .[I understand your boredom ] You might consider doing some shows.I,m sure I left you with more questions then answers ,this is your life, your decision .Best of luck.

T/SF34/A

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    If you're feeling stuck, it's time to make the jump to something else. I was one of those people working 10 - 12 hours per day going through the motions and losing the desire to do something that I used to really enjoy. I made the jump and haven't looked back. My quality of life now, compared to how it was, is like night and day.

You seem to have an idea about what you desire to do, so go and do it.

Nmathew24

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm 23, will be 24 in March. All I can tell you is follow your heart and listen to what your own mind has to tell you. Growing up I had my mind set on becoming a video game designer, I was also hanging out with the wrong crowd of kids, not looking towards my education and future. When I was a senior in high school I was arrested (but not charged) Sitting the back of a Marion County transport wagon for almost 8 gave the driver (who was an officer) time to talk with me about life what I was doing, and what I needed to be doing. Long story short I have no idea who that man was, what hes doing now, or if hes still alive, but he did teach me to stop running from the cops, and start running with them.

If law enforcement is something you really want to do...go for it, just don't let "Thanks, but no thanks" discourage you from it. I am now working on my 2ed process with IMPD, been through a process with ISP, and God knows how many smaller departments I've applied for and did not hear back from. Do yourself a favor and grab some college classes does not have to be in criminal justice (if I were you I would stay away from that.) Many departments have a 60 credit hour requirement.

I've worked in a hospital have for the past almost 5 years. Not a night goes by I don't think about going to med school, but the fact I know I want want to work in law enforcement keeps me from it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ok. I'm an engineer, mostly electrical, but pretty mechanical as well. It's just what I am, how my brain's wired, not training or degrees or such, though I have that. It's what I was destined for since childhood. I was on that career path and doing pretty well for myself when life intervened and I've been out of it for 15 years now. I wound up driving a school bus of all things, which is totally wrong for me and I hated it. I've had my passion burned out, and I've worked where I didn't belong. Anyway.

Sounds like you have something really fulfilling, but it doesn't pay the bills as you'd like. You'll keep hearing crap like "find something you love and you'll never work a day in your life". Easier said than done. Way easier, and you still have to pay the bills, especially if you have a family. What you have to do is find something that doesn't chew you up and spit you out, that leaves you some time and space to put your passion into what you have a passion for. Your passion will renew you, your job will pay the bills. You don't have to compromise your passion to pay the bills, and you don't have to care so much what your job is.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Okay, I'll admit, I did not read the entire post. I would rather have a conversation if it is going to be that involved. I did read enough though to catch the intent.

I hear people who talk about doing what your passionate about or doing what you like to do and the money will follow. That depends really on what you like to do. For me, I like to tinker around the house, do woodworking projects, shoot guns and work on cars some. If I tried to do those for a living, I would not have enough money to support the lifestyle I want to have. So I work at a job that I am not crazy about, but I make enough money to do what I want(within reason) when I am not working. Plus, with rare exception even people who start out doing what they love end up not loving it anymore and it becomes a job like a previous poster indicated.

Work is a means to an end. It is not where I get my validation or where my self worth it. When I retire, I will walk away and not look back. I will not miss the work. I will enjoy the extra time to pursue my many hobbies.

Hey, how about trying to get on with Chihuly?

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I made my hobby my Lively hood. Wish I had not. I used to really love working on cars. I opened a shop cause I thought that would be the best thing I could do. After the Economy tanked I had to close it. I should have closed it sooner! Now I am a mobile mechanic that works when I want to. Which is usually whenever I get a job called in LOL But the difference is that I do not have the overhead anymore. So I can say no to the crap jobs and more importantly, no to the crap customers. Some would say I am not winning the financial game. But I am always there when my wife and kids need me. And I have decided that is more important. I had someone ask me to make them a Tripod for their camp fire the other day. I did it and had a blast. I just joined IDPA and am looking foreword to that. In my case I have been turning wrenches for 25 years, 15 years professionally, not really as knowledgeable about anything else. So I will keep putting food on the table that way. That's why I am expanding my other hobbies.

So you need to find something important to you and make that happen. But find extra time to do what you love.

Top Bottom