• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    My love of firearms, shooting, and 3 gun matches grows every day. Today I fired several AR15s and an AK. Though, I was extremely accurate with an AR, the AK felt good in the hands, gives me a reason to buy tons of Brown Bear or Tula ammo :D, and was still very accurate. But, from very basic searches, it appears that you can build your own AK for much less than an a good AR. Please, help me, the noob, learn what's it necessary to pay homage to a classic like the AK. What's your advice, do's and dont's, reccomendations, tips and tricks with the AK. Thank you all so much for any guidance you can offer.

The Zombie-

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I'm more than willing to pay around 650, but can flex if better parts are available. Basically, I'm going for most bang for the buck.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    The best you can get = Romanian kit + new chrome barrel + custom dimpled receiver + US parts.

In my opinion, it can't get any better than that. Thing is kits are drying up faster than ever. When you buy the barrel, DO NOT get the cheap US unchromelined barrels. Those are usually made for CAI who in turn make barrels as cheaply as safely possible to use in their rifles. Call me out AK gurus, but I've seen some CAI built barrels wear out after a few cases of Yugo surplus.

Plus, original AKs were chrome lined except the Yugos, but those original barrels were better quality than CAI American barrels.

Now, here comes personal preference: DO NOT USE AFTERMARKET ACCESORIES. They detract from the wood n' steel beauty that is the AKM as we know it. But that's just me :)

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    762x39 is what I would prefer.

For tactical 3 gun, not having accessories is a bad thing. :D I'm looking for functionality, durability, and accuracy. And eventual holographic is the idea, but I love my irons, so I need a decent set of sights. Even the ultra basic ones seem to like me. :)

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd skip the whole "building your own AK" idea.

Go straight for the Saiga conversion. With a Saiga, you get a brand new production rifle built in Russia in the same factory that current Russian issue military arms are built. That means you get a true to god authentic Russian receiver, barrel, carrier, and bolt. If you go with an old Romanian kit, you are going to be slapping together used and abused parts and investing in tools you probably don't already own right now (further throwing off your budget).

Considering your budget of $650... the Saiga conversion is going to fit in perfectly. Just remember to use QUALITY parts in your conversion process (i.e. skip everything made by tapco, EXCEPT for the G2 trigger group as that is a properly made piece).

I've done a few conversion myself... and they run like a Kalashnikov should. If you need more persuasion, check out my 74 Saiga build.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/138354-5_45_saiga_goodness_56k_death.html

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    are you wanting to "build" an AK from a parts kit? or are you talking about accessorizing an AK to your liking?

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Are you handy with metal working? I built two and they are tougher to do than they look. Especially using cheesy bending jigs which I did. Also, spot welding the rails on is the proper way to go. I TIG welded mine because I didn't have access to a spot welder. Tough job to do inside a bent receiver!
    I also made the mistake of welding the rail in alignment with the punched holes in the side. Oops, it was .025" low. More scrap. But the end result, I have two nice AK's built from kits, but it wasn't the cakewalk I thought it would be.

I guess what I'm saying is despite that you hear "they build them in caves" there is more there than meets the eye. You need some ability and access to machinery.

Blackduck21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    I agree with everyone else. Buy one and skip the build plan. My Romanian has trigger slap which can be fixed but watch for this it's a hassle.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I guess what I'm saying is despite that you hear "they build them in caves" there is more there than meets the eye. You need some ability and access to machinery.

yeah and if you do some research on the kyber (ie built in caves) AKs, you will find the build quality and reliability suck. ;)

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    Ive owned 3 different romanian wasr sporting rifles so far and all have been very reliable. So far only one has been accurate out of the box. My favorite wasr 10 underfolder actually had canted sights which i straightened up myself. I threw on a 74 style brake on my underfolder ak and now i like it better than anything else. For $650 you can make a wasr preform good.

Top Bottom