• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    "I don't have no cash." I used to say that. Well, I actually said, "I don't have any cash on me right now." Standard response to kids wanting something in the store, until they get old enough to tell you to just use your debit card.

I'm not in that club any more but I got reminded of it today when a lady at the gas station told her kid making rude suggestions "I don't have no cash". I didn't have much with me in the grand scheme of things, only about $600, but I defiantly had enough to fill up my tank if the credit card machines were not working at all, were temporarily down, or were being affected by the skynet "Virus" that took over all machines in the area including police and fire vehicles.

I don't usually carry that much but I just got paid. Most of you already know that CASH IS KING in a crisis for a short while and then after that, even cash will be worthless. In all the short-term local crises in which I have been involved though, and hopefully all in which you will be involved, the plastic things aren't worth much at all if anything inside the crisis zone, and CASH IS KING.

I had a small reminder of this the other day when I transferred $200 to get my car fixed. The transfer hadn't posted yet and even though the available balance on line included the 200 in the balance, someone hadn't told my debit card that I had enough to pick up my car yet. Minor inconvenience, but I relied on the on-line banking and got burned. Had I just gone to the bank to get some cash, I would have been fine.

I know people who save travelers checks too. They used to push travelers checks in the Army because you got a refund if someone stole them. I have been places IN THE US, that have never seen one before. On the back roads between Indiana and North Carolina CASH IS KING too.

What say you? How much cash on hand is enough or is there such a thing?

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I try to a keep a hundred squirreled in my wallet for emergencies or whatever on top of my usual weekly spending money.

My wife and I keep a tight budget, every week we get a set amount of spending money and pay cash for everything except fuel and groceries. The rest all gets saved or invested. She is an RN and I am an Engineer for the D.O.D so we plan the future which right now will be having kids in a year or too.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    We already have 4 kids, so savings and investments are slim. I do have an old fashioned retirement plan account where I work, and there is always social security too.

I'm not saying I don't use banks, but everything is normally taken out in cash except for the regular bills, utilities etc which I pay on line. You definitely have to plan ahead when using the cash only (well mostly) system, but it also limits your impulse buying to cash on your person.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    What say you? How much cash on hand is enough or is there such a thing?

Cash at home - one or two month's expenses. If the banks are ever disrupted, cash on hand will be king.

Cash on my person - it varies, but I always have an emergency C-note in my wallet that doesn't get spent.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have an emergancy 20 dollar bill. I guess I should make it a 100 dollar bill in my wallet.

I went to Bradi's and bradis 2 today and if I had my c note with me it would not have been in there anymore. I might have had more ammo but the c-note would have been gone.

I did get 5000 min mags today.

When the wife see that one the debt card I will have some explaning to do.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Do you guys think much about the denomination of your emergency cash? Do you keep one hundred dollar bill or several 20s? A lot of places don't take 100s and they might not have change for you so you might just spend all that C-note in one place.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    Large bills definitely would be a non starter, 20's or lower each. I don't usually have an extra hundred on my person when I'm in town, but at least some cash, and several envelopes of cash stashed here and there at home.

Something is really going on about this cash thing this week, two more reminders about it tonight.

Kids' ball game went into extra innings tonight 8pm-11pm, had to eat some food at the confession stand, and they don't take plastic.

Went to McD's on the way home to get the kids celebration ice cream (They both won and are still in the tourney for at least one more game). LONGEST line at McDs I have ever seen. Took 30 min to get through the drive thru, turns out their "system" is down and they are taking orders manually, and guess what, NO PLASTIC, CASH ONLY PLEASE. I would have been so mad had I just spent 30 minutes in a drive thru line to find out I couldn't get what I came there after! The worst part is they had to calculate the change manually too!! I took it easy on them and gave them exact change.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I try to keep at least a Cnote in my wallet. I also keep 3 months expenses in a cache plus my silver.
    Im in the process of building 2 more caches. One for my cabin (100 miles) and one halfway between my house and cabin (60 miles.)
    Also, someone commented on some places not taking 100's. Go pump 20 in your tank and then let them tell you they dont take them. They ALWAYS find a way. Thats just a common sign they put up for the bad guys.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I try to keep 70-100 bucks in cash with me at all times in 10s and 20s. It's just easier to keep track of your cash when you can see exactly how much you don't have after you get home.

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    I keep $200 in tens in my wallet and more in my BOB. If things go to crap and you're trying to buy three gallons of gas at ten bucks a gallon just to get home, I'd hate to whip out a C note and ask for change.

Top Bottom