I figured it out, but can't explain it. Thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • democracywins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Marion, IN
    After building many AR15 rifles without ever having any issue, I challenged myself to build my first pistol. After all the reviews the common theme was to build around a 10" or above because of the trouble with the gas systems on the 7" uppers. However, being who I am, and liking a challenge a built a 7" upper. It was a challenge getting the gas system running right, and even after I got it dialed in it would run great sometimes but them sometimes have a failure to feed. After many hours of tweeking and testing I realized that for whatever reason this gun will not run 55gr PMC Bronze. Every failure to feed it had would be on a PMC bronze round. I find this strange because every other round I have ran through it runs perfectly fine. Including but not limited to PMC xtac 55gr and 62gr, Wolf Gold 55gr, American Eagle 55gr (black and red box), PPU 55gr, and Colt Zinc. And although I can't explain it I know what the issue is and I just avoid PMC bronze in my pistol. I just thought maybe someone who knows a little bit more than me could explain, bc to be quite honest this is very weird to me.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A couple of years ago I ran about a dozen 55 grain factory ammo loads in 10 round batches over a chronograph.

Out of a Colt 20 inch barrel, they were all running 3100 to 3200 fps until the PMC Bronze was fired. It ran about 2600 fps. I fired a another 10 thinking that the chronograph gremlin had appeared, unnoticed. The second ten was also about 2600 FPS.

I concluded that PMC Bronze 55 grain FMJBT is downloaded severely. At least that lot was. If this is indeed true, it would be even worse in a AR pistol. Not enough gas to cycle would probably be the result.

BTW, Winchester white box Q1313 is by far the hottest 55 grain FMJBT out there. Including all the Mil-Surplus stuff from all over the world that I chronographed that day. Almost 3300 FPS.

My data posted here is from memory. I have the days' results saved somewhere. If you like, I could try to find it and post it. I did post it here a couple of years ago if you want to search my history.

Last edited:

democracywins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    Marion, IN
    Fairly certain it is a phase 5 buffer, may be omega...honestly can't remember. Bolt is a standard from JSE, here is link to one that I have JSE 7" 1x9 SS 5.56 Micro Gas Block UTG 4 Rail Pistol Float and still have standard cage on the end. Been doing a lot of research to see if I can find a cage that may help give my gun the added boost in pressure it needs to cycle pmc bronze. Because it will almost do it, but just comes up a little short...

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I have never messed with one of those. Think that may be worth it? Any recommendations on a muzzle brake that will "turn up the juice" if you will?

Not sure if a pigtail would help or not, but I know some people swear by the (especially in carbine and pistol lengths). I was just throwing that out there as an option to consider.

Now for brakes and comps, those usually do not turn up the juice in my understanding, if anything, they suck the juice out. (I'm speaking from more pistol experience where running underpowered ammo through a comp will be detrimental to correct cycling -- with a comp you want more gas volume, whereas a brake is just to tame down recoil regardless) a muzzle brake on a rifle is different than a comp on a pistol, but they both try to get similar end results. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Other things to consider in order of likeliness-to-screw-with-you:
    Gas block properly installed?
    Gas port undersized or obstructed?
    No other obstructions impeding bolt cycling? (machining chatter marks that are now dirty, poor finish, etc.)

(assuming it runs other ammo well... I'd look to the ammo first of all in your case)

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    The problem with the PMC bronze is due to insufficient "time under the curve". A readers digest explanation is that the you can have 2 loads with same bullet weight and velocity but using a different propellant can cause one load to take a few micro seconds longer to reach peak pressure. The time the load stays below peak pressure is called the "time under the curve". Depending on application, this "time under the curve" can work for you or against you. For example most saboted loads perform better with loads displaying longer curves because it puts less stress on the sabot. Another example would be a Desert Eagle in 44 mag. It is very similar in design to an AR pistol. Rotary bolt, and gas operated. These are very fussy guns and are regulated from the factory for 240 gr loads as the 180's peak out too fast. I worked with one extensively and the lightest bullet I could get it to run with was a hot hand load and a 210 gr bullet. Never would run right with 180's. However if I had kept on using different propellants I might have been able to get it too run. Bottom line, nothing wrong with your weapon, it is just a combo from PMC with the lighter 55 gr bullet and a propellant that peaks out a little quick for your short barreled platform. Just 2 cents worth from an old Marine shooting instructor.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I have never messed with one of those. Think that may be worth it? Any recommendations on a muzzle brake that will "turn up the juice" if you will?

The Noveske kx3 and kx5 along with the Spike's Tactical Barking Spider increase the back pressure and help alleviate cycling problems. The pigtail gas tube causes more problems than it fixes. The tube itself is longer but the dwell time remains the same. A shorter gas tube on a pistol length system will give you higher pressures. The further the gasses have to travel, the lower the pressure.

Top Bottom