I Finally Crawled Out of the Time Capsule.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    I'd not done much hand loading for quite some time and hadn't bought any components in even longer. Things have changed. GOEX comes in a plastic container and costs $20.00 + per lb. and is made in Louisiana rather than in Pennsylvania. I thought brass was made of copper and zinc but now it must be made from recycled Krugerrands from the price of it. Oh well, I can probably snap off enough wheel weights in the Walmart parking lot to at least save on the cost of bullets.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Welcome back...

" probably snap off enough wheel weights in the Walmart parking lot to at least save on the cost of bullets."

^^^Naw--go to the Truck Stop and 'Peel' them off of the Semis..Make sure you get the Big Lead ones...HA HA..

Just KIDDING---Those truckers have a tough enough time trying to make ends meet!!

If you can find a truck shop, they MAY?? have some you can buy cheap...Bill.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    That is why I tell guys if they are not already into it dont start now. You will spend loads of cash.

I started ten years ago and had sticker shock then. Sold half my collection in order to consolidate climbers and focus efforts. Hard to send all that money down range!

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    That is why I tell guys if they are not already into it dont start now. You will spend loads of cash.

I started ten years ago and had sticker shock then. Sold half my collection in order to consolidate climbers and focus efforts. Hard to send all that money down range!

Is it really that bad? I've never reloaded, but I would really like to get into it. You tell me now is not a good time to start? Do you think this a temporary price elevation or is it just going to keep rising like everything else?

scrub buck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    usa
    Ya gotta pay to play these days. Finding reloading components is hit and miss at best. Imo brass is the hardest to find. Good luck, and try to look past the prices and enjoy the hobby.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    The best time to start reolading was 20 years ago, the second best time is right now!! You can get a singlestage setup with the bare essentials for about $160-200. If you have used brass on hand, then 1 set of basic dies/primers/powder/bullets is another $125-175 for about 500-1k rds., depending on how powder hungry they are. Reloading is still the best bang for your buck if you can spare the time (less expensive presses are more labor intensive), and if you shoot 800-1000+ rds/yr.
    i.e. If you only shoot 300 rds of 9mm a yr, just buy factory.

I think reloading is a good value for all centerfire handgun rounds, with perhaps the exception of 9mm if you can find the right sales.
    for .38/357, .40, .45, .45LC, .44 mag, etc. you'll easily come in below 50% price of new factory ammo. many times closer to 20-30%. (assuming you have brass on hand) And that straight-walled pistol brass should last through many reloadings!!

Some components may go down a little bit in the future, but it's not like factory ammo will ever get much cheaper (anyone hoping for more than 5% drop in prices is daydreaming). The industry has seen that we will pay ridiculous prices, so those are now normalized (or close to it).

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    been loading for 3 and a half decades and don't plan to stop now. Brass is cheap, get it from the range as once fired and save time too since you were originally going to shoot anyway. I shoot mostly plated bullets bought in BULK to save money. Primers and powder are also bought im bulk for the same reason. IF you buy components at good shop where they aren't gouging you, buy in bulk or online do it so you save HazMAt fees. I still save LOTS of money loading over buying ammo loaded.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Reloading is still a great $ deal and it has added a lot of interest in shooting for me as I can deliver exactly the load I want for a particular shooting activity.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Completely Correct..

Reloading is still a great $ deal and it has added a lot of interest in shooting for me as I can deliver exactly the load I want for a particular shooting activity.

Especially the last part of your statement. A handloader can load up/down at will within limits. When you buy them off the shelf, you get what they HAVE, not always what you WANT.

How long has it been since you have seen a good stock of 148gr. HBWC loads for a .38 Special in a ammo retail outlet? Have you ever seen a Ballistic Tip Varmit load for a 30-30 Win. in a gun shop, or Big Box outlet store?? (Yea, I do have a bolt action 30-30 HA. HA..) Have you seen, or checked the price lately for a box of .22 Hornet?

To me, these are SOME of the reasons for reloading...Bill.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Now is not as bad of time to get into reloading as after election times. Something that might be quicker than going to the Wacko-Mart. Seems like they never have what I want these days or the wait in the check-out line is forever. You could always go to the range and dig bullets out of the embankment to reclaim for lead. Just wait till no ones there...

Top Bottom