• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    I just figured i'd share some great news with my INGO family!

Well i'm 22 years old, and 3 years ago I applied for a job with CSX as a freight conductor. I applied online, 3 months later went for an interview and accepted the job I was offered on the spot.
    after about 4 different drug tests, and two strength tests I've been waiting to be sent out for my job training.
    today I got 5 calls from a 904 area code #, and on the 6th call I decided to answer it, and it was a CSX rep asking if I was still interested in having the position. Of course I said yes, and she informed me that the evansville yard was the only other yard in Indiana hiring for the rest of this year. so I asked her to put my name on it!
    GOOD news- is I got a job that i've really been wanting to get and been waiting for a long time to do so!
    not so GOOD- I have to relocate from my current location and find a place to live and get adjusted by march 18th.

any advice?

I still live with my parents (whenever I am there, and not running our family business)
    my girlfriend of going on 3 years is happy for my, but fears of us growing apart.

kinda personal for INGO, but i've gathered plenty of good thoughts from this site!

any other INGO'ers work for CSX or another RR?

Kicking the idea to the curb on the gun store. (hoping someone on INGO catches the opportunity and takes it)
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/267409-new_gun_store_advice.html

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Congratulations.

I don't know what "freight conductor" entails, but be safe. Those environments are more dangerous than most.

I'm sure you'll get enormous amounts of safety training.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    My nephew worked for CSX. It's a great job - a great potential career. And Evansville is a good place to live and raise a family. My best advice for you and your lady is to talk, talk, talk about it. Then talk some more. Ask her how she feels about it. And REALLY listen to what she tells you. If your relationship is meant to last, 150 miles won't hurt it.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Congratulations.

I don't know what "freight conductor" entails, but be safe. Those environments are more dangerous than most.

Freight Conductor
    Job Summary

Supervise train crews on a freight train and coordinate switch engine crews. Place cars to facilitate loading and unloading and the makeup and breakdown on trains in a rail yard, industrial plant, or similar location.

Primary Activities and Responsibilities

• Ensure compliance with all train orders, signals, and railroad rules and regulations for safety, operations, and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
    • Review instructions from dispatchers and yardmasters, and discuss with locomotive engineer and train crew
    • Inspect all equipment on cars prior to departures
    • Receive and transmit information by radio and telephone
    • Read and understand bulletins, work orders, and switch lists
    • Assist and instruct train crews to couple and uncouple cars, operate switches, and make minor repairs to railcars, including replacing heavy couplings or air brake hoses
    • Work with customers to ensure accurate movement and placement of cars
    • Maintain awareness of surrounding area and suspicious activity to ensure rail safety
    • Operate locomotive equipment through the use of remote control device.
    • Comprehend color and/or hand signals and systems
    • Quickly and repeatedly make precise adjustments in moving the controls of a machine or vehicle to exact positions
    • Quickly respond (with the hand, finger, or foot) to visual symbols, signals and displays (sound, light, picture, etc.)

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Congratulations.

There's nothing easy about that job. Cold in the winter, hot in the summer. And physical all the time. But then, it's not a $10 an hour job. As long as you aren't afraid to work hard and keep your nose clean.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Great news... their home base is Jacksonville, FL (904) area code.... About 25 years ago I applied, and tested for a carmans job with them. I also got the same phone call, but I already took a different job with another company. As I look back on it now... I wish I would have accepted the CSX job... but heck.. who hasn't looked back on their live and wish they would have done things different? I really wish I would have stayed in the Navy..

Anyway.. Great job..... :yesway:

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    Take the job, when its time, move in with your girl. Work hard and take this opportunity as a blessing

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    Thanks everyone! It hasn't been a fast or easy precess, but I have been following prayer and hoping for the best. I believe it will all pay off in time..

Glocker 400

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    today I got 5 calls from a 904 area code #, and on the 6th call I decided to answer it, and it was a CSX rep asking if I was still interested in having the position.

any advice?

Yeah.

Answer your damn phone.

:):

Just a pet peeve of mine. You never know who could be calling, regardless of whether you recognize the number or not. An area code doesn't mean jack today, with the way people move around and keep their same cell phone numbers. What if a family member lost their phone and borrowed one to make an emergency call to you?

I have a relative who will sit there and stare at her home phone when it rings, like she's never seen the thing in her life. Irritates the heck out of me.

In today's competitive job market, the last thing I would be doing is ignoring phone calls from prospective employers, if I'm looking for a job. Where would you be if CSX decided after 4 calls that perhaps an employee that is easier to contact would be better than someone who ignores their phone calls?

10Forward

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Greenfield
    Congratulations!

Relocating within the same state isn't that big of a deal - you're still a few hours drive (at most) within home for holidays or if a family emergency comes up, etc. Good luck!

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    Great news, congratulations...

Get a few years under your belt and you may be able to move to another yard closer. Opportunity presents it self unexpectedly so be prepared when it does...

good luck

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    My wife and I lived 4.5 hours apart when we started dating. Happily married 6.5 years now with two great kids... Distance relationships aren't horrible, just different...

Evansville can be a great place to live, went to school down there and still have family that lives there. I prefer the East side/Newburgh area. Being a younger guy, you might like the westside area more... Congrats and good luck!

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I grew up in the Evansville area. My Nephew graduated from USI. I loved growing up there. Regardless of what you may hear, there a lots of things to do. They also have many active gun ranges.

In the area, east of Evansville is flat lands. West of Evansville are the hills. North is a mixture of terrain. South is very wet.

The University of Evansville is a big Basketball School. So is USI. USI is a NCAA II National Champion. Both schools have good baseball teams too.

During my career as a Civil Engineer I have dealt with CSX many times. They are a good Company. I think you are a lucky man. God Bless.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Evansville is about 2.5 different cities wrapped into one.

The West Side (The best side...) and the East Side are quite different.

Generally speaking, West = blue collar folks, where the east side is the more white collar folks.

The "north side" is a good mix.

I enjoyed my 5 years at USI on the far west side. LOTS of younger folks complain/ed all the time about "nothing to do". You've got to go find something - it won't come to you.

CSX is on the west side. Living on the West side = easy commute. However, now that construction is "done" on the Lloyd Expressway, going from East to West and back is easier than it has been in 15 years. (Seriously - it took about that long to do all the projects)

Further west than EVV is Meth Vernon. Small town. Guess it's gone down hill a bit since I was there.

Further east than EVV is Newburgh. I think there are 2-3-4 INGO'ers that live in the Newburgh area. It's basically an extension of the "east side" and the white-collar living.

When you head down to apartment hunt, be sure to ask here on INGO for recommendations. The folks that live there currently will be a HUGE help for you in that regard.

-J-

Top Bottom