Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

...It really doesn't hurt that bad...
    Doug,

Here's hoping my favorite libertarian heals fast and thoroughly! Most of your "L" word friends are quite lacking in good communication and persuasion skills and try to make up for it with arrogance and insolence. Not you though, always helpful advice and direction.:yesway:

... my offer stands.

-rvb
    I'm not really sure what RVB was offering, but I'd take him up in it when you are better. He does have some mad skillz. :shady:

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I am just now getting back to see those photos. I think I already said it, but YOW! MAMA!

Thanks for posting the pics, you don't get to see that every day. That's like the day at work when I found myself quite thoroughly on fire..... Before I did ANYTHING I hollered out to get everyone's attention. Someone asked me how and why I waited so calmly before stripping off the flaming cloths. I said "How ofter do you get to see a man engulfed in flames? When you find yourself on fire, you simply owe it to your co-workers not to waste it by keeping it all to yourself!"

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To You'll shoot your eye out,

...Or your hand off...?:dunno::)

Thank you for the fire story. It sounds like it was exciting too.

To All,

I thought I would share a bit of the story that I wasn't entirely privy to and learned later from my friend Jack.

On our way to the ER I made certain to call 911 and let them know who I was, the nature and location of my injury, and my ETA. I am a firm believer that good communication can remove obstacles before they arrive.

Upon arrival in the ER I was quickly ushered back to the little room. Outside in the other room were five (5) law enforcement officers, including four (4) sheriff's deputies and one (1) Decatur officer. Once they determined that I wasn't going to die or pass out LE came in and was very polite in asking what had happened. I believe it was a Sergeant Fraze(r) that did most of the questioning. I explained what had happened and asked them to talk with my goddaughter, explain to her that it wasn't her fault. They also asked to take pictures of the wound and I said fine.

The Sgt asked permission to get the pistols serial numbers for the report. I consented to this and told him their location both were still loaded. He and the others went to get with Jack as he had the keys to the car.

According to Jack they were very polite and when Jack opened the trunk they did ask him to step away from the vehicle which he did. They took out both pistols, took down the serial numbers, unloaded each of them, re-holstered each one, then put it back in the trunk hidden under some stuff that was in there so they wouldn't be visible to plain sight. Jack explained that when he went to remove them to secure them out of my vehicle he had a heck of a time finding the first one. That is when he figured out that they had "hidden" them.

They were all very professional and polite. I could not tell how big of a fool they thought I was and that was very nice too!:D So I would say a big +1 to the Adams County sheriffs department.

It sounds to have gone very smoothly on their side and once they left to get the serial numbers I never saw them again. I will drive down next week to get a copy of the report for my records. From my interaction with them it went the way I would imagine it.

Regards,

Doug

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    How's it healing Doug?

To Chezuli,
    Hey chief, YOU didn't let me know how you liked my piktures...? And after posting a TTIWWP.:draw: I'm disappointed.:( Ok, I'm over it now.:)

It is doing good I guess. My hand has been wrapped up since surgery. It ain't leakin' or stinkin' so that's a good sign.

My next doctors visit is out at Dupont Hospital next Wednesday at 0930. According to Dave (the physicians assistant) I will get Xrays first. I will also need to bring a good book because it will be a LONG wait. 'Tis the season for mass quantities of back, hip and knee surgeries so's I's gots to be prepared to be surrounded by grey hair and walkers!:rolleyes:

I am on antibiotics through next Friday... and I want a beer!!!:xmad:

Regards,

Doug

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

To Chezuli,
    Hey chief, YOU didn't let me know how you liked my piktures...? And after posting a TTIWWP.:draw: I'm disappointed.:( Ok, I'm over it now.:)

It is doing good I guess. My hand has been wrapped up since surgery. It ain't leakin' or stinkin' so that's a good sign.

My next doctors visit is out at Dupont Hospital next Wednesday at 0930. According to Dave (the physicians assistant) I will get Xrays first. I will also need to bring a good book because it will be a LONG wait. 'Tis the season for mass quantities of back, hip and knee surgeries so's I's gots to be prepared to be surrounded by grey hair and walkers!:rolleyes:

I am on antibiotics through next Friday... and I want a beer!!!:xmad:

Regards,

Doug

Saw the pics. It was about the level of gore I expected. Bite the bullet (not literally, sheesh...) and push through the physical therapy once it starts. The more you put in to that, the better function you'll end up with.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Way to be heads up and call the po-po. I am sure that helped "grease the wheels" so to speak when you arrived at the ER. (vs an "unanounced" gunshot wound visit)

Also glad to hear about the professionalism of the officers. It could have been much different.

And again, as a fellow traumatic digit injury sufferer, listen to everyone and work through it. It will be worth it. (not easy, but worth it)

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Way to be heads up and call the po-po. I am sure that helped "grease the wheels" so to speak when you arrived at the ER. (vs an "unanounced" gunshot wound visit)

Also glad to hear about the professionalism of the officers. It could have been much different.

And again, as a fellow traumatic digit injury sufferer, listen to everyone and work through it. It will be worth it. (not easy, but worth it)

Zipper? :):

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    1) thanks for posting your story - always good to hear the bad as well as the good. Helps reinforce that poop happens, even to those who should "know better".

2) Good pics - amazing how centered it was, and amazed how little damage there really is all things considered.

3) prayers for a quick recovery. Make sure to follow Doc's orders - especially any PT/OC that is critical to long-term recovery and rehab.

:)

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I want to relay an honest yet "alternate" explanation of my immediate post wounding.

According to my memory of events I wandered off (staggered?) and inspected my hand while my friend Jack took the pistol from my goddaughter. He went asking for the first aid kit and I then told him where it was. The hand inspection as I remember it took a few moments while he calmed his daughter down.

Well, last night I went over to join him and his wife for dinner and chat. Regrettably she wasn't feeling well so it was just he and I. When sitting outside afterward having some cigars I remembered Churchmouse's big "ouch." This prompted me to think of asking him his recollection of what followed in the seconds after the gun went off.

According to him I was the one who took the pistol from her. I immediately told him to get the first aid kit from my trunk (thank goodness for my minor prepping.) I told him everything we were going to do. He says that within five (5) seconds I was telling her it was not her fault. I don't remember this directly until we loaded up in the car. I only have a very vague recollection of saying something to this effect. From his viewpoint I started giving orders within seconds. He also did say I muttered a cuss word or two under my breath. I do not remember that at all.

The interesting thing to me is two (2) guys, standing less than three (3) feet apart, looking in the same direction, have a very different memory of some of the key details. Important to our lives? Not really. However, if we had witnessed a murder or been involved in a criminal shooting those details could mean the difference between guilty or not guilty. I find this... disturbing.

For him or me there is no motive to lie or create an inaccurate picture of what happened. It was an accident that happened due to my poor judgement at the time. Yet in a criminal investigation motives may well come into play. Even if they don't an investigator may start focusing on a well meaning but inaccurate witness account. This is a big learning experience for me regarding memory and its lack of accuracy.

We all read of crimes that are in the news and how there was a witness, perhaps an innocent passerby who has no motive to lie so he or she must be telling the truth. From now on, at least for me, I will not think ill of them or presume malice in their hearts, but I will wonder, "Did they get it right? And if so, how much of it?"

My hat is off to all the law enforcement officers who have a tough job on its own without adding in the frailty of human memory. Blessings.

Regards,

Doug

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Thanks for the additional info and things to think about. I have a different lesson to take away from your injury.

It is very important to have a first aid kit of some form in your range bag. A first aid kit (and knowledge of how to use it) can help with anything from aspirin for a headache to minor injuries to something traumatic. Also, you will be prepared even if it is someone that you don't even know at a range that is hurt and needs help.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

Just returned from meeting with the doctor. It was good to get the wrapping off, if just for a short while.

My knuckle is more there than I thought, so this is good.

My tendons are there about 50%, so this is good.

I still have feeling throughout my finger and adjacent fingers, so this is good.

Part of my finger bone is GONE, but this isn't as bad as it could be.

The top of the finger is healing well, so this is good.

The palm is oozing a little, so Herr Doktor has upped my antibiotics.

His scheduling dude/dudette is going to try to work me in for a second surgery next week. That one will be outpatient. He is going to take hip bone and turn it into finger bone. This is why I say it being gone isn't as bad as it could be.

For those who want the gory details pics are here: Gunshot Wound-2 Photos by Libertarian01 | Photobucket

Please note these are somewhat, ummm... try not to eat when viewing.

Oh, and there is still no real pain for me.

So ends the second short chapter in my small drama. I am getting around fine, but even though I am a lefty and it was my right hand we really don't realize how much we use both hands to tie our shoes, or pull up our pants. A wide variety of even the simplest of tasks that can be accomplished single-handedly are so much easier with two (2) hands.

Regards,

Doug

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    wow, from the pictures it really doesn't look that bad. Much better than the first set.

Glad to hear things are moving in the right direction!

Top Bottom