• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shay

Master
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Yes, I took the "Defeating Locks" class recently, so that's why I posted it here. Good class, but I'm betting the monkey is better at it than me.

The monkey probably has more time to practice.

Shay

Master
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Umm, is it even legal to teach a "Defeating Locks" class?

Why is it that I can teach people how to shoot people or bash people with flashlights and nobody has anything bad to say. But if I teach a lock picking class there's suddenly a legal concern? :):

Drail

Master
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Simple. In a number of States and cities simple possession of lockpicks will get you charged with "possession of tools of burglary" unless you are a bonded registered locksmith. Were you aware of that fact? Yes, I know - it is a stupid law, but it's out there. Personally I think the teaching of picking locks or carrying a pick set is perfectly fine - but there IS a legal concern - but you are possibly correct as far as "teaching" people to use picks. It wouldn't surprise me if even THAT were illegal in some places.

Last edited:

Stickfight

Expert
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    Simple. In a number of States and cities simple possession of lockpicks will get you charged with "possession of tools of burglary" unless you are a bonded registered locksmith. Were you aware of that fact? Yes, I know - it is a stupid law, but it's out there. Personally I think the teaching of picking locks or carrying a pick set is perfectly fine - but there IS a legal concern - but you are possibly correct as far as "teaching" people to use picks. It wouldn't surprise me if even THAT were illegal in some places.

Shay mentions that is his class, as well as the fact that even in places where lockpicks are legal you should be prepared for an extralegal reaction if caught with them by an LEO.

But in IN there are no laws prohibiting their possessions and nothing against teaching their use.

Shay

Master
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy

Is it illegal in Indiana?

No.

Top Bottom