• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    :ranton:

Okay,so I love Solsberry and know this land like the back of my hand and have no intentions of leaving it for anywhere else.This is my home,where I was born and raised.My family is here and so are all of my friends.

I guess what I should say is that I hate the limitations of where I live.I desperately want to get training but I simply cannot afford it.First I have to pay for the class itself,which is a good two months of skimping and saving.Once that's done,I have to skimp and save for the ammo required by the class,which is probably another month.Follow this up with the gas money it takes to get to any place that offers training.Trying to save all this money with a hungry family is rough.

Ok,done ranting.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I get it. I also feel the limitations of living in Indiana, too. There is only so much you can do, and there aren't as many career or life possibilities as elsewhere. Sometimes you find an activity you like, but you can't pursue it at the level you want because there isn't enough interest. That's if you can find a job to support your hobby. The young people here often don't dream as big as they could, because they see the small pond and say, what's the point?

The good news is that Indiana actually has a pretty active firearms training scene. You can get top quality classes here without going too far -- Yavapai, Gunsite, and others. People fly in from Alaska to train here. There are also some really good deals, offered by people right here on the forum (ACT & Coach). Appleseed is not expensive. Having taken a whole bunch of classes, I think if you choose wisely, you can get all of what you need as a civilian in these lower cost courses.

I remember that someone here (a fellow training junkie) said recently in another thread that he's willing to teach people for free. There is just no certificate, no insurance, no setting up, etc. Maybe if you PM him privately he can help you out.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Start a training group. That's what I did when I started out. Find some people via INGO, craigslist, etc that want to learn similar things. Start getting together and working things. Watch DVDs, watch youtube (OH NOs!), read long detailed threads and start trying things. You'll learn in your own time what works and what doesn't. Some things are actually as easy as people say. Some aren't. You can absolutely learn a mount escape from youtube...you just have to practice - watch - practice - watch - iterate more than if a pro was teaching you. You can learn draws and practice, etc. Drill things with the partners and rinse and repeat. Damn near free and with time you'll learn more than if you took a class. If one of you takes a class they have to bring back all the knowledge. It really can work. I've met some super good guys doing this and learned some great material. Our group was focused almost entirely on combatives for 3+ years and its amazing what I can say works and what doesn't at this point. It helps me to have a better BS detector. You can learn to look at someone teaching something and immediately say "nope, that'll never work."

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Can you take a rifle out and without using a bench, vice, lead sled, etc, make consistent hits on a 16" square at 400 yards? 12" square at 300?

If not, I know where there is some really inexpensive instruction within 30-40 minutes of you.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I feel ya'. Terre Haute is apparently the butt hole of the world socially.

I can say though that the shooting here isn'y bad though.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Can you take a rifle out and without using a bench, vice, lead sled, etc, make consistent hits on a 16" square at 400 yards? 12" square at 300?

If not, I know where there is some really inexpensive instruction within 30-40 minutes of you.

Where else but Appleseed will you get two days of rifle and history for $70? :ingo:

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    All I have at the moment is a Remington 597hb in a laminate target stock that won't accept a sling and has FTFs out the @$$.I'm thinking it's the banana mag but I can't find the 10 rounders anymore without ordering.I can make a sling from paracord but I have no way to attach it.

Also no iron sights.

My brother has a single shot cricket with irons.Reloading it is the only pain.

Last edited:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    All I have at the moment is a Remington 597hb in a laminate target stock that won't accept a sling and has FTFs out the @$$.I'm thinking it's the banana mag but I can't find the 10 rounders anymore without ordering.I can make a sling from paracord but I have no way to attach it.

Also no iron sights.

I think a 597 would be fine. The banana shouldn't be an issue unless it's so long to keep you from getting a decent prone and I'm sure we can sort out the sling hurdle. Believe me, we improvise slings and sling attachments every shoot. As to the iron sights, that's no issue either way. I prefer a good peep sight or low mag scope, but irons are not required at all. Many, many people bring scoped rifles. It's about learning how to shoot the guns you actually shoot after all. As to the FTF's, trust me, after clearing the first few hundred failures, you will be Tom Slick at clearing a jam/failure from your rifle. I learned the hard way. (I learn everything the hard way)

The cricket is workable, but I will admit would be a chore. We have a local Instructor who is some kind of superhuman freak who qualified with a cricket, but there would be nothing easy about that. I have seen many people do very well with bolt action rifles in general.

If you want to borrow a rifle or two for a bedford shoot I'll hook you guys up. Heck, I bet I could hook you up with a pair of rifles at any seed anywhere. We're pretty good at that :). I could drum up a couple of 10/22's or something similar that have ran several appleseeds (proper sights, slings, etc). The only downside to that is half of the fun really is learning how to run the rifles you own. My first seed I brought the wrong rifle setup, but I sure learned a TON about clearing malfunctions and what worked and what did not work with my gear. Learning my rifle was a tremendous value in itself.

However, whenever, if you want to borrow some guns/gear for a seed, say the word and I'll make sure it's there Saturday morning. I'm an Appleseed Instructor and if I'm not going to be there, I will get it to someone who is or make sure you're covered either way. All you will have to do is show up, be safe, and return the guns/gear at the end of each day to one of the instructors. Standing offer, just PM me.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Lots of training occurs at Riley Conservation Club just south of Terre Haute.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/adaptive-consulting-training/329431-act-2014-schedule.html

Also, for marksmanship with rifles check out Project Appleseed. They are literally EVERYWHERE.

Project Appleseed Home
    I'm doing an Appleseed in Feb at Crawfordsville.

My issue with TH is I am not able to meet folks here to shoot ith or when I do meet them it seems to me they don't want a fried who isn't from the area or has some connection to it. After seven years here, I am about done trying too.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Also no iron sights.

I've never known Appleseed to not do everything in their power to accommodate patrons, including providing rifles, mags, and ammo to people who either can't get it or can't afford it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Any training I can afford.I'd like at least basic pistol instruction and maybe some rifle training.I've thought about Appleseed.

Can you shoot where you live. I can do the pistol instruction at your place if you can shoot there.

Top Bottom