I have a feeling this is going to be an expensive hobby...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

JenTheGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    Castleton, IN
    So, background: I was never a huge fan of firearms. They scared me and I couldn't see myself ever using deadly force. Then I had two children, and my attitude changed quite a bit. These kiddos depend on me, and with increased crime in my area, I know I would do anything in the world to protect them.

A few weeks back, some coworkers arranged a trip to the range and I decided that I wanted to know more about firearms and how to use them, so I tagged along. I got to shoot a huge variety of calibers and styles of guns, and I was hooked. I should have known... since I always loved Duck Hunt as a kid.

I went to the Indy 1500 over the weekend and picked up a plinker. The plan is to get good at the mechanics before stepping up to a carry or home protection gun. I have a feeling this is going to be an incredibly expensive hobby! :D

I'd love to hear any advice you guys can offer and I hope I make a few new friends along the way!

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Welcome to the board!!

A few words of advice, not get wrapped up in the brand name or caliber wars. Get what you like and what you feel comfortable with. and Practice practice practice. Pending on how old your kids are bring them along on range trips, teach them gun safety.

and don't hesitate to ask questions here you may get a few smart ass answers but theres lots of great people here who are happy to help.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN USA
    Welcome to the board!!

A few words of advice, not get wrapped up in the brand name or caliber wars. Get what you like and what you feel comfortable with. and Practice practice practice. Pending on how old your kids are bring them along on range trips, teach them gun safety.

and do nothesitate to ask questions here you may get a few smart ass answers but theres lots of great people here who are happy to help.

FIFY

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    So, background: I was never a huge fan of firearms. They scared me and I couldn't see myself ever using deadly force. Then I had two children, and my attitude changed quite a bit. These kiddos depend on me, and with increased crime in my area, I know I would do anything in the world to protect them.

A few weeks back, some coworkers arranged a trip to the range and I decided that I wanted to know more about firearms and how to use them, so I tagged along. I got to shoot a huge variety of calibers and styles of guns, and I was hooked. I should have known... since I always loved Duck Hunt as a kid.

I went to the Indy 1500 over the weekend and picked up a plinker. The plan is to get good at the mechanics before stepping up to a carry or home protection gun. I have a feeling this is going to be an incredibly expensive hobby! :D

I'd love to hear any advice you guys can offer and I hope I make a few new friends along the way!

Welcome to the forum, as FullMetalJesus stated, this is actually a great place for advice, just have to take a little some of it with a grain of salt. As for getting your own firearm, as stated there as well, get what feels good for you, how it feels in your hand and how it recoils. You don't want to get a monster that you hate shooting, and then you dont shoot it as much, and dont get something without a couple reviews on it for your first firearm either. I learned the hard way on that. Good luck, and feel free to post the questions, and join on the conversations. :ingo:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Welcome to INGO! If your new .22 is a rifle, get thee to an Appleseed shoot, post haste! (it may even still be free for the female set; and I have just made two assumptions that may be incorrect). See the Appleseed thread in the advertisers section for details.

If you're REALLY a geek, there's a DnD thread you should visit, too...

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Memorize and live by the four rules of gun safety. Get some beginner handgun training. Welcome to INGO and I hope you have a long and happy relationship with your new hobby.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Welcome fellow NE sider. Yes, it's an expensive hobby but you don't loose much if any value selling used guns so the hardware investment isn't too risky. Ammo is getting up there though.

The kid & I will be heading up to fcvcc.org to sight in a few rifles today. This range is probably the closest to Castleton. You should look into getting a membership there.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Is this Jen originally from MN that we met at the table?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Welcome!

My advice-- train, train, train. It will guide your purchases, your choice of gun and caliber, the way you practice, the way you think-- everything.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom