I have a huge rat problem Airsoft gun for pest control?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtmerkley

Plinker
    Dec 26, 2008
    Farm Near St Anthony, Indiana
    I run a chicken house I have a huge rat problem most likely in the thousands. I kill dozens of these things a night. I started with bird shot When there were just a few dozen but I was spending about $20 a night so I went to shooting them with a 12Ga which isn't only expensive but also dangerous. so I went to A .22 then to a Gamo .177 which I can afford but it is not vary fast to reload I have tied everything rat poison, traps, borax, antifreeze, but they don't work. so what I need to know is how fast dose a airsoft pellet need to go to safely kill the rat. If anyone has had any luck in killing rats with an airsoft gun what type and what was its FPS with the .2g.
    Could you suggests an full auto AEG that would work in the $300 range.

38special

Master
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    If your problem is really as big as you say (in the thousands), they will probably breed faster than you can kill them off, regardless of what you use. What you need is an exterminator.

Or this:
    YouTube - Airsoft Minigun

:):

I'm with him....it's likely beyond your control.

22 is going to be the cheapest route if you just love shooting them.

I had some mice and I used these:

Aguila Super Colibri Subsonic 22 Ammo (50)

I bought them at Gander Mountain in greenwood at something like $3.50/box

Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I run a chicken house I have a huge rat problem most likely in the thousands. I kill dozens of these things a night. I started with bird shot When there were just a few dozen but I was spending about $20 a night so I went to shooting them with a 12Ga which isn't only expensive but also dangerous. so I went to A .22 then to a Gamo .177 which I can afford but it is not vary fast to reload I have tied everything rat poison, traps, borax, antifreeze, but they don't work. so what I need to know is how fast dose a airsoft pellet need to go to safely kill the rat. If anyone has had any luck in killing rats with an airsoft gun what type and what was its FPS with the .2g.
    Holy Caramba!! sounds serious.
    May I suggest an INGO event!:D Hell get a firing squad in order and smoke them boogers out.:laugh:
    Sounds serious, But I'm in the city with nowhere to shoot. I goota say I'm jealous.;)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    This sounds crazy, but it is a proven method and is safe around kids and pets. Get some lids off jars, like mayonnaise jars. The lids have to have short rim. Buy some Coke in the big bottles, you need the stuff with sugar so no Diet Coke. Pour the Coke into the lids. Put the lids with Coke close to the rats' food source. The rats will drink this stuff up. It will kill them because they can't belch the carbon dioxide. You have to make sure that the Coke is kept fizzy. Once it goes flat it is no good for killing the rats.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Apr 27, 2008
    HOLY CARP! I want that minigun!!! Surely he had something on the otherside of that target that caught fire and not just the pellets hitting paper... right?

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'd say you want an exterminator. I've used airsoft on mice before with good results. But I think rats are too big, at least for my airsoft guns. Have you thought about a Co2 semi auto pellet or bb gun?

That and what poison have you been using? Some rats are immune to the anticoagulant type which is what most mouse/rat poison is. I know Tractor Supply Co has some that is stronger and meant to kill these sort of rats. Its what I used around here just in case the other didn't work. And after feeding I was finding them dead one to two days later, normally only one day. Its the kind with the red box, most of the others are green. If you are having that big of a problem I'd buy it by the bucket.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Nov 2, 2008

For a gun for that kind of pest control I suggest you buy all your kids pellet guns. For faster killing I'd suggest CO2 pellet guns or bbguns.

I really thing you are going to have to go bigger than that. You need poison and traps. Traps that catch a lot at once instead of needing reset every time. I'd look to traps like bucket traps and even a 50 gallon drum. A friend of mine has a 50 gallon drum for a mouse trap and just empties it when ever he notices a few in there. No water or any thing they just can't get back out and die. A part of the lid is balanced so it tips when they walk out to get the grain that is stuck permentantly to the top. In they fall and starve. It's always got a few carcasses in there.

Sounds to me like you could fill it up and then gas them and shovel them out.

To poison I'd introduce an "easy" meal decoy. Then get serious about controlling the feed to the chickens so the rats go to the decoy food supply. When it starts disappearing over night, may be a week of free lunch for the rats, then you introduce the poison to the food so you kill the majority all at once.

Rats will eat a little to see if they get sick others will watch to see if they get sick and then won't eat it.

I've never had or seen any expirience that would disagree with any type of pest control I see suggested on this page.
    Rodent Control for Mouse and Rat Control, Trapping, Mouse Rat Trap Bait

rat control, Rat Control, RAT CONTROL, mouse control, Mouse Control, MOUSE CONTROL, rat trap, Rat Trap, RAT TRAP, mouse trap, Mouse Trap, MOUSE TRAP, rodent control, Rodent Control, RODENT CONTROL, rat prevention, Rat Prevention, RAT PREVENTION, mous

Kill 'em ALL. The more they suffer the better.

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    How-To: Build a better mouse trap

IMG_0581.JPG

Tired of catching mice one at a time? Tired of all the hassles trying to set the traps? How about building a better mouse trap? One that is self resetting, has no poisons, and best of all can be built from stuff that you already have. Even better, you can build it in a matter of minutes.
    The principle is actually quite simple. It consists of a 5 gallon bucket of water with a tin can “log roll”. A simple ramp allows the mouse to climb up to the top of the bucket and get onto the peanut butter baited tin cans. Once on the cans, it is just a matter of time before the cans roll and the mouse falls into the bucket and drowns. Since the cans just roll, there is no need to reset, so it is always ready for the next mouse.

How-To: Build a better mouse trap | Robo's World

edsinger

Master
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    On one of the wife's TV programs they were over in China. Those people were eating grilled rats on a stick...

If you have ever eaten at a Chinese restaurant, how do you know you haven't eaten one also? Cat on a stick even?:)

I LUV Chinese food..

Top Bottom