• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Has anyone else experienced this happening to them in traffic and if so WTF is the matter with these drivers?

Let me explain in detail: I'm driving down the road at approximately 40 MPH following two other vehicles when all of a sudden I see brake lights, so I start to apply my brakes and soon I need to darn near skid to a stop. The car ahead of the one ahead of me stops dead in our lane what seemed to be for no apparent reason. Then I notice that there is a car in the opposing lane who wants to turn left into a private drive. Seems that this moron who stopped dead in front of us was allowing (flagged) the turning car to turn left in front of them. This was a crazy and very dangerous thing to do by stopping dead in a driving lane where traffic is moving 40 MPH or better. I laid on my horn and threw my hands in the air and the driver who stopped put their arm out the window and told me I was number one. Also I might add that this has happened to me twice now in a single weeks time. Where does it say in the Indiana drivers manual to yield to vehicles turning in front of you on a highway? :dunno: :noway: :xmad:

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    You can't fix stupid. It is the price we pay whenever we leave the house, dealing with the public.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It's amazing how many people will come to a rolling or complete stop at a flashing YELLOW light on a highway. Waiting to turn left and the idiot coming the other direction stopped waiting for me to turn. I finally had to turn.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Happens to me weekly in Brownsburg. Usually with the idiot stopping traffic waving someone INTO traffic. Sometimes even encouraging them to turn left across our lane into the oncoming lane, even if it is NOT CLEAR. I see at least 2 near misses a week.

Just remember: half the people you meet are dumber than average (and it is 50-50 that you might be one of them).

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I see stupid **it like that on a weekly basis. It just **sses me off.

I wil say this. Since carrying daily, my traffic 'temper' is much better controlled now.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The stupidity is bad enough and amazing enough that it exists in the extreme it does. After that comes the people who deliberately do dangerous things for the gratification of being irritating to others. No comments on dealing with this problem, but I do hate dealing with it.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Sounds weird... Why don't they just dart across all 3 lanes last minute like everyone else on Crawfordsville Rd does?

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    It's amazing how many people will come to a rolling or complete stop at a flashing YELLOW light on a highway. Waiting to turn left and the idiot coming the other direction stopped waiting for me to turn. I finally had to turn.

I've made that (well maybe not that exact mistake) mistake before because I thought the light was a red flashing light instead of yellow, it was a really really orange light and I was pretty tired. There was also a guy waiting to turn left from the opposite direction in the little turn area in between the highway. I hit the brakes pretty hard It's a good thing there wasn't any traffic behind me, once I got closer I finally realized what color the light really was and kept going. That poor guy waiting turning left was probably really really confused. :n00b:

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    I know exactly what you mean and I also find it very annoying and dangerous. I don't like it when people stop for me doing that same thing, and I sure in the hell don't trust someone else flagging me into traffic.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Near same thing happened to us a while back but there was a turn lane to our right....idiot stopped our lane on a fresh green light to let another idiot turn across our side and get smashed by the car coming up the turn lane that could not see the idiot turning. Too many idiots in one intersection. Some of the debris hit my truck. No really serious injury's thank God.

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    People do stupid things. A few months ago I was behind a tanker on 69 and he locked up his brakes, came over in my lane and ran me off the road. Turns out there was a lady walking in the middle of the interstate! The tanker came to a stop about 10' in front of the lady.
    People do stupid things.

ticktwrter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    You have no clue how many times I've investigated a crash when someone turns left because someone else flagged him on. If I can't see it's clear, I won't turn.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    We have this one intersection in town that is single lane but it widens up at the intersection to allow people to pass the person who is turning left. It is so hard to turn left there, I never use that intersection to turn left.

But anyway, when a large vehicle is turning left, it scares the crap out of me because the opposite lane has people waiting to turn left across our line, and if they don't see me pass the truck by going to the right side.of it, I will smash right into them as they turn.

I hope nobody ever waves the across!

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Never noticed this until I came to NWI - never saw this in McCutchanville/Evansville/Newburgh/anywhere in SWI - everyone up here likes to pass on the right. By everyone I mean it happens several times per week. "Uh-oh, this guy is turning left, better run onto the shoulder and pass him on the right!" "There's not a lane here, but I better speed up and run past on the right!" "There's a traffic light and this guy is going straight through the intersection, but I better swerve to the right and try to pass him!" Seriously, this happens to me multiple times per week and it never once happened down on the southern end. Anyone else notice this insane pattern of behavior up here, or am I just too observant?

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    See if you can get to ride shotgun in the passenger seat of a semi and you'll have a whole new respect because of all the stupid :poop:
    that is happening.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I drive through a small town on the way home from work every day. It's not uncommon to have 5-20 cars going my direction sitting at the stop sign. About 5 car lengths back is the entrance to the post office on my right. At that time of day a lot of people coming the opposite direction want to turn left to get to the post office. People going my direction are bumper to bumper and won't let the traffic into the post office. The traffic will back up clear back to the stop sign and hardly anyone can move. When I get to the po entrance, I leave an opening until I can move up. Not like I'm going anywhere with 4-5 cars still in front of me.

If traveling in a 4 lane road and going straight through the intersection, I will try to take the left lane at the light so that anyone behind me wanting to turn right can pull up and turn without having to wait on the green light. If I take the right lane on the bike, I'll pull as far to the left as possible and pull up enough to let the car behind me to get by and turn right.

My father taught me to be aware of others around me and to be considerate as to not block them.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Speaking of roundabouts... There is either those that come to a complete stop, or you have the ones that dart out right in front of you to race you around the roundabout, or there are those that just enter the roundabouts willy nilly without looking in any direction. To me roundabouts are not that hard of a concept to grasp. :dunno:

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    On a similar note. I'm not sure the intention of the drivers, but they seemed like they were planning on getting into an accident. I was going down a road (Emerson) at about 35-40 when a car at a stop sign looks dead at me, then drives straight across the road when I get about 50 feet off his side of the car. He didn't put the pedal to the metal or nothing. I could only lay on the brakes. THe other time this happened I had to hit those brakes and swerve to HER REAR to not hit her.

It seems like they are looking for an accident I don't know why. But be aware. This has happened 2 times to me. (also make sure to have good brakes)

Maybe I shouldn't have bought this new car...

View attachment 20191

Top Bottom