• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Just remind her that one way or another, men always pay for sex.

I can guarantee she'll forget about the new Mosin... at least for a while.

Josh

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Other than the relative cheapness of the gun and ammo what's the allure of the Mosin? Are they particularly accurate or do they balance unusally well? I'm not knocking it but I am curious to why so many people love these particular rifles so much. And no, I haven't shot one before but I have shot quite a few bolt actions.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Other than the relative cheapness of the gun and ammo what's the allure of the Mosin? Are they particularly accurate or do they balance unusally well? I'm not knocking it but I am curious to why so many people love these particular rifles so much. And no, I haven't shot one before but I have shot quite a few bolt actions.

They can be very accurate. They where the main sniper rifle of the Russian Army. If you have ever seen the movie "Enemiy at the Gates"! I read an article in a magazine, where the author was hitting a steel plate at 1,000 yards with a 91/30 using an original PSU scope.

Famous Soviet snipers

Not bad for a rifle that you can buy for $100. You can get good sniper 91/30's for around $300. I paid a little bit for mine, but it's a 91/59 which from what I have seen are not very common, and it is also in exelent shape.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I regularly take sticks at 50 yards and twigs at 30 yards with mine. It's slightly modified -- I have a custom sight, cork bedding, load my own ammo, and just massaged the trigger spring after the fashion of the Soviet Snipers. It holds safely (I played "Bash the Nazi's Face In" on the ground, and smacked the bolt in several key areas with a rubber mallet to try to trip the sear) and, while it's not a crisp pull, it is smooth to the extreme with almost no stack.

Folks tend to think that they are inaccurate due to several reasons, but in reality, they will often outshoot Mausers, and at a fraction of the price.

Josh

They can be very accurate. They where the main sniper rifle of the Russian Army. If you have ever seen the movie "Enemiy at the Gates"! I read an article in a magazine, where the author was hitting a steel plate at 1,000 yards with a 91/30 using an original PSU scope.

Famous Soviet snipers

Not bad for a rifle that you can buy for $100. You can get good sniper 91/30's for around $300. I paid a little bit for mine, but it's a 91/59 which from what I have seen are not very common, and it is also in exelent shape.

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Those statistics are impressive, and Enemy at the Gates is a very good movie. That you can hit reliably at a 1000 yards is even more impressive for a mass produced rifle made during wartime. I may have to acquire one of these but I would definitely have to do something about its looks, maybe a new stock.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    When I look at all the different cartouches and marks on mine it really gives a sense of history.
    Oh, and the wife has held it and cycled it...she likes it.
    Now I need ammo...and stripper clips...maybe a bipod, or not.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    They're cheap to buy, cheap to shoot, and accurate. We were shooting steel at 500 yards open sights a few weekends ago, lots of fun! Only downside I can see is the effect on your shoulder when shooting while wearing a t-shirt. :):

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    After purchasing my first Mosin in March, then shooting in May. My attraction is they are cheap to buy and shoot, and good accuracy. I got half dollar size groups at 50yrds. It shoots a little to the right, or I'm pulling the shots. Did not get enough ammo to get alot of practice.
    fixing the ammo problem soon. The other attraction is the utter simplicity of the weapon, it's basicly an overgrown .30 cal Cricket with a 5rnd Mag!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Part of the reason they sell for so cheap is that the importers are buying them at basically scrap prices. Most governments could care less about the historical aspects of their obsolete weapons, and just want to get rid of them. Frees up space in the warehouses and they don't have to pay guards and people to monitor the stored items. Also, many of the counties that these came from were former Warsaw Pact countries and after the fall of the Iron Curtain these countries were hurting bad for hard currency that could be used on the world market.
    I read something a couple years ago that if somebody wanted to make a military Mauser out of the materials used 60 years ago on the same type of machinery, it would cost about $700-800, and a prewar type Mosin was right behind that.

Top Bottom