• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I had an uncle that took me squirrel hunting. He always used a .22 Weatherby semi-auto (but he only needed one shot each), claimed taking them with a shotgun was not fair hunting.

I suppose the only "fair" method would be to snatch them up bare handed and leave both the .22 and the shotgun home. Hunting isnt fair and hasnt been since we started using bows and progessed from there.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    As far as newer rimfire rifles go, I too, will recommend the Savage MKII bolt-action rifle. Very accurate straight from the box (much more so than the 10-22.... and I am a 10-22 fan). Also, many older bolt-action .22's by Remington, are excellent squirrel rifles. There are some available fairly often, at some of the larger volume pawn shops. and usually at a 'steal'.

You've gotten good advice so far from other posters, on the manner in which to hunt 'squacks'. I agree that the "sit down" method is best. And when hunting after the leaves have begun falling.... you can definitely hear the squirrels furrowing thru the dried leaves on the ground, before you'll see them. Remain quiet and still, and you can take your daily bag limit, by shooting most or all your squacks while they are on the ground (be absolutely sure of what may be in the background, and only take the safe and certain shot).

If I had a better work schedule, I'd offer to take you out a few times, and get you 'oriented' to the scenario and show you some pointers. Been hunting squirrels, myself, for about 40 years now. but in the last few years, unfortunately, my opportunities have been very limited for getting in the woods on a good day. Still, feel free to PM me w/ any questions on the subject. Glad to help....

Good luck!

Edited to add: The Henry rimfire lever action rifle is another nice little squirrel gun, and not at all expensive; plus, 100% U.S.A. made....

Last edited:

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Thanks for all the advice!!!

I think I have the weapon of choice lined up (the "What"), and a decent idea of the strategy (the "How"). Now, (the "where") my initial idea was Morgan-Monroe State Forest, and I suppose Owen-Putnam and Yellowwood are both close enough to also be in the initial list. Any advice on those selections? With deer season going on now am I going to honk off deer hunters going down there and giving it a try in the next couple weeks? Andy advice for that situation.

Last edited:

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Don't worry about the deer hunters(archery only at this point) just get geared up and go! Your new class room awaits! All or those are good choices add Atterbury and Wilber Wright to your short list of close places to go.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Thanks for all the advice!!!

I think I have the weapon of choice lined up (the "What"), and a decent idea of the strategy (the "How"). Now, (the "where") my initial idea was Morgan-Monroe State Forest, and I suppose Owen-Putnam and Yellowwood are both close enough to also be in the initial list. Any advice on those selections? With deer season going on now am I going to honk off deer hunters going down there and giving it a try in the next couple weeks? Andy advice for that situation.

Did you decide on a scoped .22 rifle? Inquiring minds want to know..... ;)

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    That, too, is a very good choice, IMHO.

I have re-viewed that ad several times, myself. Great price on a nice outfit. :yesway:

Thanks! After picking it up I'm very happy with it! Now I'm excited for a little range time! Best part, I have everything I need to take it out for a test run, and my first hunt. One stop shop.

I had my mind set on a bolt-action, but felt this was too good of a package to miss.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks! After picking it up I'm very happy with it! Now I'm excited for a little range time! Best part, I have everything I need to take it out for a test run, and my first hunt. One stop shop.

I had my mind set on a bolt-action, but felt this was too good of a package to miss.

Bolts are great but semi-auto is almost as good. Now get to an Appleseed and learn how to shoot it! :yesway:

I'm following this thread because it's time I step up my game and hunt something.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    It is good to take a little walk thru of the other places that you can not hunt to see how tree rats live. The places that have swing sets and picinic tables with tree rats all around. They are less skiddish and used to people but how they live and run around is the same. A hour tops in a spot like forest park in NO_BILLS_VILLE. would be a great place to spend an hour and learn. Lots of old nut trees in that park and tons of fox tree rats. The greys in morgan-monroe act totally different than a fox. I don't think the greys stop moving for more than 15 seconds at a time all day. Hyper active little suckers.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Bolts are great but semi-auto is almost as good. Now get to an Appleseed and learn how to shoot it! :yesway:

I'm following this thread because it's time I step up my game and hunt something.

Funny you say that... as I spent some time on the interwebs yesterday reading about Appleseed, when and where the closest events are and how to mount a sling to my 597. Appleseed is def something I want to try. I'm also considering a membership to MCFG but I'm trying to work out a "cost effective" way to meet their new training requirement.

I'm taking my new acquisition to Eagle Creek on Saturday get to know her. I keep getting dirty looks from the neighbors "trying out" the scope in the back yard...

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    When noblesville was growing back when firestone and other manufactoring jobs were still around lots of the locals though the new residents all came to live there because it was NO_BILLS_VILLE.

Ahhhh... I thought it was some reference to Bill Monroe Memorial Music Park, or some nickname for Morgan-Monroe State Park.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    .17 mach 2 is also good without as much damage.

The BEST round for DRT squirrels. Head shots are preferred. .22 will definitely do the job. Accurate rifle is a big plus. I prefer my .22's to be inside a 1/2" at 50 yds with the ammo I plan to use to hunt with.
    Lots of info on the Rimfire Central forum in the hunting section.

Squirrel Hunters! The Tree Kind! - Page 2357 - RimfireCentral.com Forums
    This thread is a monster but some of the best advice is around page 11 I think.:yesway:

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    So I took the 597 out to Eagle Creek Range and put a couple hundred rounds through it. I think that range was a bad choice for what I was trying to do. Shooting from the table was too low and shooting from the wonky barrel wasn't as steady as I would have liked. I think a trip to Atterbury with some sand bags is in order. I was able to keep 10 rounds in a 2" diameter @ 50 yrds. That was with me and the barrel wobbling all over the place.

Edit: I checked the target, it was a 2" diameter around the bulls eye.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom