• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    My wife ordered me a 650 (with case feeder) for Christmas. I have been wanting to get a Dillon press for years but never did pull the trigger. My question is this: What modifications or additions do you recommend for this press? I have read about replacing the detent ball, primer ski jump, the spent primer tube, etc.
    For those of you who own a 650, what have you done and what do you recommend?

Thanks

GN

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    First, run it and see what you like. The case feed is the only critical in my opinion. After long sessions, the standard handle can be uncomfortable and even cause blisters. The Inline Fabrication "ergo handle" remedied this and even slightly changed the geometry of the priming stroke so it's more pushing down on the handle instead of back.

I've also added the strong mount, bullet tray, and IF LED kit.

The lava lamp is not essential, but it does help. :)

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Welcome to Blue World!

Go to BrianEnos.com. HOURS of info on the Dillon line. Good stuff.

Lifetime product. They will take care of you and your press.

Pappy

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Everyone has different like and dislikes. For me I like the roller handle from Dillon better than the inline version. I also added the strong mount, tool kit, bullet tray and a spent primer kit that I got off of eBay. The Original Dillon XL 650 Spent Primer Upgrade | eBay

I did cut one of the coils off of the detent Spring. This reduces the hard snap into place and helps reduce powder from slopping out of the case. I also took some 0000 steel wool to the inside portion of the powder drop. Then finished up with some flitz polish. The powder drop meters really good from factory but the accuracy did go up after the polish work.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm gonna have to start studying up you guy's setup for modern day conveniences. I'm thinking I'll just put a O-ring around a Preon to stick in the light hole there?

I do have a tip though also. A mirror on the ceiling above the case feed lets you keep an eyeball on the level and operation up there.

gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    Welcome to Blue World!

Go to BrianEnos.com. HOURS of info on the Dillon line. Good stuff.

Lifetime product. They will take care of you and your press.

Pappy

Brian's site is great, in fact, that is where I ordered my press from. As much as I want to support the local gun shops, I could not justify paying more locally. While the prices locally were near identical to Brian's, the tax was killer. I decided to pay $16.99 flat rate shipping (on orders over $100.00) than to pay Indiana sales tax on a $900.00 + order.

I will be looking into the spent primer upgrade as well as a low mass detent ball. I did get the "strong mount" from Inline
    Fabrication, as well as their ergo roller handle. I think I will also be looking into the LED light (the one that goes in the center of the tool head).

Thanks

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Brian's site is great, in fact, that is where I ordered my press from. As much as I want to support the local gun shops, I could not justify paying more locally. While the prices locally were near identical to Brian's, the tax was killer. I decided to pay $16.99 flat rate shipping (on orders over $100.00) than to pay Indiana sales tax on a $900.00 + order.

I will be looking into the spent primer upgrade as well as a low mass detent ball. I did get the "strong mount" from Inline
    Fabrication, as well as their ergo roller handle. I think I will also be looking into the LED light (the one that goes in the center of the tool head).

Thanks

You know you're supposed to pay that sales tax when you do your state taxes, right. =-O

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    You don't get the true potential of the 650 unless you run a case feeder. I did go to the roller handle because the stock handle blistered my palm on extended sessions. I do run a light, especially on 38's with light loads so I can see the powder clearly. I cut a bit off my detent ball spring as others have said and it smooths it out considerably. About the only must haves for your new press are lots and lots of brass, bullets, powder and primers!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The case feeder, powder check and low primer warning are an asset. I also use the strong mount and roller handle. I load on my 650 while standing. Anything you can do to help the shell plate to work smoother without that snap is a plus. I also recommend a primer loader. I use a primer tube loader like this: Frankford Arsenal Vibra-Prime Automatic Primer Tube Filler
    I see that Hornady makes one now for almost twice the money, but it may be good. Here it is: Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Reloading :: Metallic Reloading :: Press Accessories :: Miscellaneous :: Lock-N-Load® 1911 Auto Primer Tube Filler

gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    The case feeder, powder check and low primer warning are an asset. I also use the strong mount and roller handle. I load on my 650 while standing. Anything you can do to help the shell plate to work smoother without that snap is a plus. I also recommend a primer loader. I use a primer tube loader like this: Frankford Arsenal Vibra-Prime Automatic Primer Tube Filler
    I see that Hornady makes one now for almost twice the money, but it may be good. Here it is: Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Reloading :: Metallic Reloading :: Press Accessories :: Miscellaneous :: Lock-N-Load® 1911 Auto Primer Tube Filler

I was wondering if the vibra-prime was any good. BTW how many primer tubes do you recommend I have on hand? Due to the cost of the press, I did not pick up any extras.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    I was wondering if the vibra-prime was any good. BTW how many primer tubes do you recommend I have on hand? Due to the cost of the press, I did not pick up any extras.

I love the vibra-prime. I don't use the adapters they they provide, just use the primer tube into the vibra-prime, works great. I like to load a 1,000'rounds at a time, so I like to have 10 tubes filled and ready to go.

Top Bottom