• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    This upload is a few years old, and might've already been mentioned and discussed on an older forum. But nonetheless is good to be watched and discussed again as a sobering visual reminder of the reality of negligent discharges (that could've easily been much much worse for this fella). It's so easy to get lax and a little too comfortable around our firearms, regardless of however many years of experience. It's people like this I'm grateful for uploading videos like this who have been humbled by their own experience, yet care enough to warn other people (at the expense of some of their own pride and dignity).

[video=youtube;zYvAxLX6OzE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE[/video]

cagilber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    If you want to try to gain credibility amongst your peers one way to do it is to join the "been there, done that" group. :bash: :stretcher: waaa2

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you want to try to gain credibility amongst your peers one way to do it is to join the "been there, done that" group. :bash: :stretcher: waaa2

Meaning?
    Just because it might be a dupe, a more than a few year old dupe that it's no less relevant? (maybe some newer users might find it freshly relevant but wouldn't think to dig for that thread, if it does exist)

Last edited:

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012

I was thinking of shooting myself to see what it feels like and be able to say "been there, done that". My bucket list is weird that way.

Rattler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2013
    Indpls
    Thanks for posting. Makes us all stop and think. Definitely cant get sloppy or too comfortable. He was a lucky man that day for sure......could have been waaaaay worse

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    That's why most trainers ban Serpa holsters.
    Interesting observation. Curious as to your sources on this. Reason I ask this, this is the type of retention holster that I carried my M9 in, in the Army and I have never seen any ban on them in the civilian training sector but I haven't been everywhere.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Interesting observation. Curious as to your sources on this. Reason I ask this, this is the type of retention holster that I carried my M9 in, in the Army and I have never seen any ban on them in the civilian training sector but I haven't been everywhere.
    I've read several explanations for it, mostly because when you push the retention button your putting inward pressure towards the trigger gaurd and when you draw your finger can slip into the gaurd causing an ND. My question is how hard are people pushing that button??? I have a Serpa and it only takes a small amount of pressure to get the thing to release.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne

Yeager won't allow them, Indiana Firearms Training won't allow them, Homeland Security has banned them from their training centers, they're banned from IDPA, and the list goes on. It's an inherently unsafe design and it's been shown to be significantly unreliable. All it takes is for a bit of debris to get into the mechanism and your gun is locked away from your access. If you need that level of retention, I've never used one, but the Galco M6X is popular and doesn't use your trigger finger as a release.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I've read similar things as Frosty. Not a Serpa user, but to add some more detail, the problem comes more from the length of your trigger finger vs. the location of the release button. If you have to extend your trigger finger fully to release the gun, then your finger will likely remain in the proper position (extended) when you pull out the gun. If your trigger finger is longer then you have curl it to press the button with your finger tip. When you pull out the gun, it is possible for your curled finger to slip into the trigger guard and fire the gun prematurely. Obviously this doesn't mean that it will happen every time or this problem will be much more common, but if it happens even once in your life, that is once too many.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Yeager won't allow them, Indiana Firearms Training won't allow them, Homeland Security has banned them from their training centers, they're banned from IDPA, and the list goes on. It's an inherently unsafe design and it's been shown to be significantly unreliable. All it takes is for a bit of debris to get into the mechanism and your gun is locked away from your access. If you need that level of retention, I've never used one, but the Galco M6X is popular and doesn't use your trigger finger as a release.

Cedartop posted a LONG list (about 8 pages) of organizations that either ban or recommend against the Blackhawk Serpa holster. The best retention holster I have seen is the Safariland #6378 ALS holster--much, much better than the Serpa and not very expensive. ZX has them for $39.99. The retention release is activated by the shooting hand thumb, not the trigger finger, and the holster is suede lined to reduce holster wear on the gun.

Top Bottom