I just tackled a guy running from the cops.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruiner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Disclaimer: I realize most people would not do this, and some think what I did was dangerous. Didn't quite think that through at the time.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]So my roomate and I just finished the initial break in on his motor, when we decided to cruise for a bit to get some initial tuning done. We pulled up to a large intersection and watched as a police officer flew through the light and into a gas station. Immediately as he exited his patrol vehicle we saw a skinny black guy haul ass out of there.

I looked at my roomate and told him we should follow, as the officer was losing him big time. We blew the red light and caught up to the guy as he ran across the street. Without much thought I jumped out of the car and started trucking after him. I caught him and brought him down and put his arms behind his back and secured him. He pleaded with me that he got hit in the face twice, and don't let him hurt him. I asked him to explain, but he kept rambling about he didn't do anything and that some guy punched him for no reason.

About a minute later as I'm sitting there trying to get some clue of why this guy was running, the officer comes up and just says "Hey, thanks" and I released the guy to him. The officer immediately jabs him in the back with his knee ( this officer was not a lightweight ) and tells the guy to shut up and put his hands behind his back. He cuffs him and calls for backup. I'm just sitting there thinking, wtf... I secured this guy and he wasn't running, he wasn't fighting, he seemed downright scared.

The cops then went about their business. I went to ask him if he needed anything from me, but after handing him off to another LEO he proceeded to head back towards his car at the gas station about 1/4 mile back. They never asked for any statements, information, or to see what happened or why two random dudes were right there.

I definitely think it should have been handled better. I kept thinking on our way back home how hilarious it would have been if I had those zip tie hand cuffs you can buy and had the dude already strapped up and waiting by the time he got there. Horrible thing was we actually had some industrial ones in the back of the car.

Ah well... I kinda feel bad for the guy running, the cops did seem a little aggresive for the situation, and I'm sure it's from the BS they deal with day in and day out. I'm intersted to see if the guy actually did anything or not.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica] [/FONT]

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Ah well... I kinda feel bad for the guy running, the cops did seem a little aggresive for the situation, and I'm sure it's from the BS they deal with day in and day out. I'm intersted to see if the guy actually did anything or not.[/FONT]
    But he was running. :dunno:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    But he was running. :dunno:

What's the quote? "If you make the cops come to you, they are going to be bringing a can off **&^$% with them..."

I am sure it is a joke only, but then again, I am not a runner so I do not know.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    "i didn't do it! it wasn't me!"

and i would highly recommend NOT handcuffing or restraining ANYONE with anything (flexcuffs, zipties, cord, shoestring) in a situation like this... too many variables, and YOU could get yourself arrested.

be careful out there! way to look out for others! :)

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    I'd like to see how this pans out.

Do you know what the guy was being arrested for? Since you did not give a statement are you required to appear in court or give testimony?

Rhetorical Questions (those that should not be answered on a public forum) :

Was the suspect armed?

Were you armed?

If the suspect was armed, what was your "Plan B"?

You did "the right thing". I just hope the folks at the courthouse can see that. Unfortunately our LEGAL system is no longer a JUSTICE system. The US is a nation of laws - poorly written and randomly enforced.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Not sure I would wait around for the LEO or anyone to get any info from me. I am pretty sure the officer is pleased, but the perp more than likely is not. If he comes up lame, you would be a real good scapegoat to end up paying the damages. I think you did the right thing, but probably wouldn't have asked if they needed anything else. In the age in which we live, being helpful has a tendency to bite you in the ass.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    "i didn't do it! it wasn't me!"

and i would highly recommend NOT handcuffing or restraining ANYONE with anything (flexcuffs, zipties, cord, shoestring) in a situation like this... too many variables, and YOU could get yourself arrested.

be careful out there! way to look out for others! :)

Thats why its important to know what you can and cannot do - thus the requirement for state training for officers: fulltime/partime or reserve. Handcuffs/restrants ARE a use of force - used as a safety mechinism to protect you and the subject from harming himself/herself.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Without much thought I jumped out of the car and started trucking after him. /QUOTE]

For real? Why?:scratch:

That sounds a little insane to me. Sure, if I was standing on the street and I saw some dude running with a purse or running from the cops and he was passing me I'd drop him like a bad habit, but to run red lights and jump out of my car Chuck Norris style to tackle a dude is a little crazy to me.:nuts:

BTW, I thought skinny black guys running from the popo were fast; did you catch the only slow one?:laugh:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Great job. THe officer may have been doing you a favor by not taking any info from you. At this point, you have nothing to worry about. But if you had given a statement, the perp would have known who you are and maybe his running buddies.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    I think that you were extremely brave. I'm not sure I would have done the same thing, because I am not a very large/strong person but I am glad everything turned out ok for you!

Gryphon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    I'd be concerned about who would pay my medical bills if I were injured while performing such a good deed. Since victims of car theft are required to pay the impound fee on recovered property, I don't think the money is going to come from community coffers.

I remember working as a night clerk/cashier at a local market. One gung-ho young co-worker was all-fired set to chase and grab suspected shoplifters until I got tired of listening to his machoistic bravado and harshly asked him what he'd do if the suspected shoplifter suddenly turned and shoved a .38 in his face. When his jaw dropped slack, I asked him if he thought any amount of store merchandise was worth being killed or transformed into a drooling vegetable for.

I will protect me and mine when I absolutely have to. But, as long as society remains in reasonable order, I will continue to call the police to handle everything else.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I dont know man. Sounds strange to me.

Physical implications aside:
    Would not the "criminal" have something of a situation in a court setting due to this?

Too many legal beagles on the yard nowadays. I am not Peter Parker, that guy I let go will not go kill Uncle Ben (because I dont have one...:D). I have to stand with some of the folks here: that wasnt the greatest idea to get the guy. It was great and worthy of recognition, which you have mine. But too much implied or hidden that could happen later on when one isnt looking. Did the guy get a look at you? If so, you may have an issue there too.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Good for you! It's good for us citizens to get involved in helping out our law officers. As was stated, it is best that you remain unknown to the officer and perp. I'm sure that the officer was protecting your anonimity. You don't need the grief of getting involved further in the legal process and you sure don't need to have any punks trying to pay you back. I wouldn't feel real sorry for the perp. Career criminals are experts at gaining sympathy from average folks. They are also very good at confusing the issue with lies and causing the unsuspecting common folks to drop their guard. Most crooks could get an Academy Award for their acting skills. The prisons are full of "innocent" folks. If you don't believe me, just ask the inmates. On the other hand, most of them would slit your throat for your pocket change.

I hope you were armed, and I glad that the perp. didn't assault you with a weapon.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    IC 35-33-1-4
    Any person
    Sec. 4. (a) Any person may arrest any other person if:
    (1) the other person committed a felony in his presence;
    (2) a felony has been committed and he has probable cause to believe that the other person has committed that felony; or
    (3) a misdemeanor involving a breach of peace is being committed in his presence and the arrest is necessary to prevent the continuance of the breach of peace.
    (b) A person making an arrest under this section shall, as soon as practical, notify a law enforcement officer and deliver custody of the person arrested to a law enforcement officer.
    (c) The law enforcement officer may process the arrested person as if the officer had arrested him. The officer who receives or processes a person arrested by another under this section is not liable for false arrest or false imprisonment.
    As added by Acts 1981, P.L.298, SEC.2. Amended by Acts 1982, P.L.204, SEC.7.

I've done this before. Not in the way you did it. I used to give people rides in the winter if I saw them walking, and this time the guy was wanted. A police officer pulled up in my path, and when the passenger tried to exit, I just told him he wasn't going anyplace.

After backup arrived, they yanked him out of the truck. Some young cop started in questioning me, but an older gent of an officer took over, took me to his cruiser to stay warm, and interviewed me. He was grateful that I didn't let the fella run.

The way I read that law (and I may be totally wrong in my definition of it) is that we have an obligation to step in and assist if a crime is being committed, or if it's been committed already.

Mostly though, if I see a wreck, I'll stop and help direct traffic until the officers get there (after checking on the passengers, of course.)

Josh <><

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Good for you! It's good for us citizens to get involved in helping out our law officers. As was stated, it is best that you remain unknown to the officer and perp. I'm sure that the officer was protecting your anonimity. You don't need the grief of getting involved further in the legal process and you sure don't need to have any punks trying to pay you back. I wouldn't feel real sorry for the perp. Career criminals are experts at gaining sympathy from average folks. They are also very good at confusing the issue with lies and causing the unsuspecting common folks to drop their guard. Most crooks could get an Academy Award for their acting skills. The prisons are full of "innocent" folks. If you don't believe me, just ask the inmates. On the other hand, most of them would slit your throat for your pocket change.

I hope you were armed, and I glad that the perp. didn't assault you with a weapon.

I think you are right on with this. He wasnt asked for anything after he offered "anything else you need from me".

Plus, who is a jury to believe, the cop or a crook in regards to who ran down who? :)

Top Bottom