• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    So I made some shoe polish today since I had read some things that led me to believe mink oil could cause problems with my leather foot wear.

bees wax
    neats foot oil
    linseed oil not boiled
    peppermint oil

Here is my thinking the neats foot oil is a conditioner but offers little protection against regular or extended wetness like snow slush mud puddles ect. By cutting the wax with the oil I get protection via the waterproofing properties of wax while utilizing the conditioning effect of the neatsfoot oil and it makes the wax into a usable form. Now here is the kicker waxed thread is more wear resistant than non waxed, ie bow strings, since the internal strands are lubricated. So my thinking on the linseed oil is when it dries it forms a polymer chain possibly strengthening and keeping the strands of boot stitching together since more frayed stitches create more surface area to wear on each other. The peppermint oil was strictly for smell and not necessary.

Color consistency

30 second test

Results

yes i I know my sink needs scrubbed down

guess I'll see how it works out my boots had also sen about a month to a month and a half since their last rub down.

Top Bottom