• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Last night in Greenwood, I had a nice dinner with my family at Chili's before the Colts game with my wife, father, and couple of grown kids. I had one beer with my meal and that was it because I knew I would pick up some more for the game and stay all night at my father's place. Besides, having beer at home was a lot cheaper and safer.

As I was driving south on 31, getting ready to turn right into the strip mall near the Shell station at the corner of Fry, I turned my turn signal on and started to move to the turn lane, which was finally clear of snow. As I started to move over, I saw a car quickly approaching and passed me on the right side. It was obvious I wanted to move to the turn lane. I shrugged it off thinking that I do not like traffic around the Greenwood Mall and people are just plain crazy.

It was at that point I saw that he and I were headed to the same place, the 21st Amendment liquor store. He pulled up and parked cross ways in a handicap spot. The car was running and it seemed that there were others in the car, although I could not see them. I decided that I was not going to change my plan because of this guy but I especially did not want to have any confrontation with him since I was armed. I parked in a proper spot. As I exited the car, I could see him going in. I try very hard these days not to judge someone by their appearance and/or skin color but besides his wise ass actions, he looked like a wanna be gang banger.

I went on in to the store and back to the cooler to grab some Budweiser and he was just a few feet way. I stood up straight as he seemed to be sizing me up but I was much bigger by about a hundred pounds and several inches taller than him. He went to the counter and asked something about some orange juice. I decided to hang back and moved to a position to where if he would try to rob the store, I would have a good field of fire. He seemed to be looking around nervously and left and came back in a few seconds later. He looked around again and left without ever buying anything. My .38 snubbie stayed in my pocket the entire time.

I did not say anything to the cashier as I paid and left normally and went on to my destination to watch the game. I decided to make a mental note of the vehicle in case I heard later the place is robbed. So far I have not heard or read about anything happening there. I will write this off as just a case of over active situational awareness.

Was I right, wrong, or what would you have done differently? Fire away...............

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I would say your instincts were probably on target based on what you described. I would have had the same suspicions.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Then you very well may have. If he looked borderline, I'd say maybe just a kid nervous about trying out his fake ID. Maybe you prevented a robbery by being an extra witness, maybe he didn't quite sack up and follow through with his plan. Either way, sounds like you did everything right.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    He was probably just checking out your butt when you were bending over to get the beer.
    Too shy to ask for your number. That's why he came back in but didn't want his homies to catch on or they'd get jealous and have to de-initiate him. Gay Gangs are on the rise.

Your problems are behind you. Just conceal your butt from now on. :):

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I think the only thing you did wrong was the Budweiser. Can't you tell us you were buying Three Floyds or some other snobby craft beer?

Anywho, the world contains more a-holes than robbers. He may have just been an a-hole but better safe than sorry.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    OK. I'll try to do better on my choice of beer next time. Too bad I can't go back and edit out the name of the beer I bought. With the way that game went, it did not matter what kind of beer it was.

I think the only thing you did wrong was the Budweiser. Can't you tell us you were buying Three Floyds or some other snobby craft beer?

Anywho, the world contains more a-holes than robbers. He may have just been an a-hole but better safe than sorry.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    I see nothing wrong with your situational awareness kicking in. Mentally gathering possible perp info (vehicle, occupants, clothing, etc) is definitely being heads up. You also positioned yourself in what you described as an advantageous spot, just in case. Who knows what his intentions were, if any. Sounds like you were prepared for the worst and I commend you for your awareness.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I for one would have not purchased Budweiser.......
    ( Gross )

I'm going to have to go with the current concensus and give a thumbs down on the choice of Budweiser.

Beyond this, I'm going to have to say that I would discourage the tendency to feel you have a responsibility to protect this liquor store just because you have a weapon. You indicated that you positioned yourself for a good field of fire. Were you planning on shooting the gang banger if he did try to rob the store?
    That's what insurance is for, man.
    Sure, if you're afraid that he was going to shoot you, then get in position. If you though you might have been a target, you should have left the store and called the police.
    Too many people try to play law enforement in my opinion.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I don't think he was trying to play law enforcement. More of situational preparedness. If I had the thought that something was about to go down, like this guy did, I would get into a more advantageous position as well.

Who cares about the liquor store, I'd be more concerned about this potential perp's willingness to blast any potential witnesses, including myself.

Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    I agree with most of the post. +1 to situational awareness and your willingness to be protector of the stores employee. That being said I'm not sure I would of put myself in a postion like that. As previosly mentioned that is what insurance is for. If this young man had gone outside and come back in with his friends you could of found yourself out numbered and in a very bad spot!

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm going to have to go with the current concensus and give a thumbs down on the choice of Budweiser.

Beyond this, I'm going to have to say that I would discourage the tendency to feel you have a responsibility to protect this liquor store just because you have a weapon. You indicated that you positioned yourself for a good field of fire. Were you planning on shooting the gang banger if he did try to rob the store?
    That's what insurance is for, man.
    Sure, if you're afraid that he was going to shoot you, then get in position. If you though you might have been a target, you should have left the store and called the police.
    Too many people try to play law enforement in my opinion.

I'm with Mackey on this one. Having good situational awareness along with your gut feelings are a must.
    I have asked several people that carry if they would shoot a kid robbing a 7-11

Several (especially the noobs) said "Heck yea I would"

I'm not going to shoot some kid over 7-11's money that might turn his life around unless somebody's life is in danger.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I was not concerned about the merchandise or if he was under age. There was only a young woman behind the counter. I presume someone else was working in the cooler or back. I did not want to be walking by him if he were to pull a gun or knife. If he would have pulled a gun or knife, I would have dropped him and it wold have been perfectly legal. I don't think he liked my being there and taking my time. I could just feel that something was not right. I am glad I did not have to find out what he was up to. I did not get the plate number but should have. I figured we were on video.

I did shoot some quail on Friday. I know how to get rounds down range in a hurry like when a covey flushes up. I shot one out of the air with a hip shot while trying to throw my right glove off.

I agree with most of the post. +1 to situational awareness and your willingness to be protector of the stores employee. That being said I'm not sure I would of put myself in a postion like that. As previosly mentioned that is what insurance is for. If this young man had gone outside and come back in with his friends you could of found yourself out numbered and in a very bad spot!

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Just another thought on situational awareness...I have seen these kinds of situations before, as I'm sure most of us have. I have no problem with "changing my plan" if I don't like the looks of who is going into the store ahead of me. I will stay out in the car, fiddle with my phone, listen to music, whatever. It's no guarantee of safety, nothing is of course, as the only totally safe strategy is to stay in bed in the morning. But if the guy already has a running car in the parking lot with people in it as a getaway vehicle, I would think the chances of the "hypothetical perp" making everybody in the store get down and robbing them too, are greater than him coming back out and trying to carjack me. I'd take my chances in the car for a couple minutes.

Not second-guessing you, though. It sounds like you handled it well. And sometimes, there's no substitute for being a "Big Guy!"

PS - don't kick yourself on the beer. I was drinking Leinenkugel's Red Lager...and it didn't stop the Pats' running game one damn bit (SOBs ran over us like an orange road cone).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Noblesville
    I see nothing wrong with your situational awareness kicking in. Mentally gathering possible perp info (vehicle, occupants, clothing, etc) is definitely being heads up. You also positioned yourself in what you described as an advantageous spot, just in case. Who knows what his intentions were, if any. Sounds like you were prepared for the worst and I commend you for your awareness.

Well said and right on.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Once I got in the store, my concern/suspicion changed. It went from not wanting to get into a confrontation with someone who probably didn't realize I was even the guy he wouldn't let change lanes, to being suspicous of his actions in the store and wondering what I got myself into. I just though he was a inconsiderate jerk when I first went inside.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Wow! You have to scratch your head at they guy entering/exiting/entering, and then leaving for good. Maybe he *was* sizing you up, and he didn't like his victims in XL, who knows? You had the presence of mind to go through a quick mental evaluation, and you calmly let the situation play itself out. Maybe you stopped something, maybe you didn't... and no one got hurt or made a life-altering decision. Based on the scenario you described, I call that a "win".

I say +1 for being in tune with your spider-senses, and being level headed about it.

BTW - I grew up (for awhile anyway) in that area, off old 267 on the Plainfield side of the Mooresville/Plainfield line. Still feels like "home" when I'm on that side of town.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom