• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I am looking for a referal or a good engine mechanic who can help me replace my head gaskets on my Dodge Ram 1500. Possibly more.

I believe it's a 4.7 magnum V8 so looking at a couple of headers...

Short story is the water pump gave out a few weeks ago, it over heated.

Changed the water pump out and no issues for about 60 miles or more. Truck sat for 9 days and then the good old white smoke out the tail pipe when I started it 9 days later. Seems to still run fine other wise.

So looking for some one with good referal or good reference to fix it or help me fix it.

Incase some were to ask.. The oil is not milky (not yet anyways).

Looking for someone on the SE side of Indy (Acton area) or near by.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    In the event you can't find anyone but have the right tools search YouTube there's all kinds of how to video's on there many which are done by aftermatket or non dealer parts suppliers. Good luck.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    Too far away for me to help, but sounds like anti-freeze is getting into the exhaust somewhere. Chances are, the oil may never get milky. It's probably a small section of the head gasket between a water jacket and one of the cylinders and the anti-freeze just burns as it passes into the cylinder. (white smoke).

What year truck is the truck? Most likely unless it is a fairly new truck, it will have a 5.2l (318), or 5.9l (360). If it is either of these two engines, a beginner mechanic could change the head gasket though. A simple compression test would tell you which head and cylinder has the issue. I highly reccomend once the head is off to have a machine shop check to make sure that the head isn't warped. And if it were mine personally, I would pull both heads and have the valves gone through and re-lapped and valve springs checked. Just to make sure all is well before putting back together. One bad or burnt valve or weak valve spring will kill fuel economy.

Top Bottom