• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have some new trijicon night sights for my xd 45 and I don't have the tools to install them correctly. Back in the day I'd just call Dave S, but that's not an option anymore. :( I need a new gun doctor. Any suggestions?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Actually he came to mind first, but said he that he didn't have the correct tools. He gave it a shot, but decided he didn't want to mess the gun up so thought I should take it to a full time smith. I don't blaim him for wanting me to take the gun to a regular smith. Him turning it away actually makes me respect him more.

jamin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Bluffton
    I believe that I either heard or read that 21st in Bluffton recently added gunsmithing. I will have to confirm that, but you can give them a call

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    How did you like the sights?

I like them very much. I picked up the slide over lunch this morning and only had time to glance at them. I'll have more time to fool around with them tonight and really look it over. Thanks again!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Vice(cover with a towel so as not to scratch slide), brass punch, and a hammer is all you need. No "gunsmith" is required for a simple job like that.

I tried that. After I gave it a couple good whacks that would have been more than enough to move sights on other guns I decided that it was time to let a professional who's done it a million times have a try at it. There's something to be said to doing things yourself, and there's something to be said for only hitting valued property with a hammer so hard before humbling ourselves and asking a pro for a hand. I've swapped out sights before on other guns and done some light duty gunsmithing work, I'm only going to beat on something so much before finding someone who has a better method.

Top Bottom