• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7mmRM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Celestine , IN
    Im a fan of the standard black web slings that come with may AR15s, simple because they are simple. Another goodie is a BlackHawk (I cant remember the part#), they are like the standard slings, but a good bit longer.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    unless you are walking long patrols, i like a single point sling with a bit of stretch. when training, it will take the strain of holding the rifle and make transitions to your pistol and support shoulder fairly easy. unless you want to sling up for position shooting. for that, the traditional 2 point is hard to beat.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    A while back, I was looking for a simple rifle sling for my Remington 700 22.250...similar to what I used on my M16A2 while in service.

I wasn't gonna spend a ****-load of money on some kinda teflon-coated, high-speed, low-drag ninja sling. I just wanted something sturdy so I could sling the rifle and not have to carry it at port/shoulder arms all friggin' day...

Ended up buying an Outdoor Connection "Supersling 2+" at WalMart ...seems OK FWIW...heavy duty nylon webbing...and came with some nice swivels too.

Home

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My next sling will be a VTac.

VTAC FTW!!

Virtually all the benefits of a single-point AND a three-point, with none of the drawbacks of either. I've got them on most of my "serious" carbines & shotguns already, and will eventually replace the single-points on my "fun guns" with them, as well.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Got me new AR and want to hear what slings everybody else is using. Also where to get one.

How do you want to use yours?

Do you just want a simple carry strap to go from the car to the firing line and back?

Will you need to be able to release your rifle quickly to the sling so you can have your hands free for other things?

Will you be walking long distances with it?

Everyone and his brother are making slings right now, most of them are excellent and work as advertised. Your needs and wants will dictate the type of sling you should get.

Right now the VTAC in multiple forms from Viking Tactics is very popular and with good reason. It's well made and easy to adjust quickly for when you need less slack to secure it to your body, vs. more slack to shoot, vs. the most so you can switch shoulders. Even the tacticool guys are liking them now even though the same people were either unaware of the VTAC or dismissed it just a few years ago.

Single point slings are simpler and the easiest to use in my opinion. The drawback is that if you have to move a lot with the gun supported by just the sling, you need to secure it with one hand or some other means to keep the rifle from bouncing and swings a lot.

Three point slings are complicated and have little utility compared to either single point or rapidly adjustable two point slings (like the VTAC).

The sling I use the most is the Dieter sling from Blackhawk. It has bungee on each end (but not fully bungee) and it quickly converts back and forth from single point to two point (albeit it lacks the adjustability of the VTAC and similar slings.

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    How do you want to use yours?

Do you just want a simple carry strap to go from the car to the firing line and back?

Will you need to be able to release your rifle quickly to the sling so you can have your hands free for other things?

Will you be walking long distances with it?

Rhino's right on the money here, you need to determine your needs a little better before any advice can be beneficial.

For my money right now, one of the 2 point slings from Viking Tactics, or the Blue Force CAV sling would be my choice for a general use sling. They are very versatile and easy to work with.

The three points are kind of a hold over from the early days of the tac sling. The problem is that the strap running down the side of your AR will interfere with access to most of the controls.

Single points are nice, but they do tend to put the load high on the shoulders and neck, as well as allowing the muzzle to swing quite a bit. This can be very annoying when you’re spending a lot of time walking up and down a range. In vehicle operations, they are the bees knees.

For what it’s worth, when in armor, I run an integrated single point on my CIRAS. All the other long guns are equipped with some form of 2 point, mostly the Blue Force CAV, or the padded CAV. I do have a custom made simple single point in 2” tube webbing that I use for the times when I’m not in the armor and want to run the guns that are rigged for it.

Not real fond of the do it all slings. My experience is similar to others, if you need a manual, you probably spent to much on your sling. Most people I know who invest in the do all slings, find the configuration they like, then end up stripping all the extra buckles, straps, and rings off and throwing them in a box.

Just my experience,

Tinman….

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Rhino's right on the money here, you need to determine your needs a little better before any advice can be beneficial.

For my money right now, one of the 2 point slings from Viking Tactics, or the Blue Force CAV sling would be my choice for a general use sling. They are very versatile and easy to work with.

The three points are kind of a hold over from the early days of the tac sling. The problem is that the strap running down the side of your AR will interfere with access to most of the controls.

Single points are nice, but they do tend to put the load high on the shoulders and neck, as well as allowing the muzzle to swing quite a bit. This can be very annoying when you’re spending a lot of time walking up and down a range. In vehicle operations, they are the bees knees.

For what it’s worth, when in armor, I run an integrated single point on my CIRAS. All the other long guns are equipped with some form of 2 point, mostly the Blue Force CAV, or the padded CAV. I do have a custom made simple single point in 2” tube webbing that I use for the times when I’m not in the armor and want to run the guns that are rigged for it.

Not real fond of the do it all slings. My experience is similar to others, if you need a manual, you probably spent to much on your sling. Most people I know who invest in the do all slings, find the configuration they like, then end up stripping all the extra buckles, straps, and rings off and throwing them in a box.

Just my experience,

Tinman….

Best response so far! +1

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Wow..thread from dead...I have a couple of slings now. I got a nice 1 point sling from Britton a year or so ago. works real good....about 50 bucks.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    :ugh:

I was doing a search and found this. I didn't pay attention to the last post date/time.

I still think that post by Tinman was the best reply. Glad to hear you got something that works for you.

Now, .... I'm off in search of more zombie threads .... sheesh.

Top Bottom