• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    So the first shotgun I ever shot was an 870 and I have to admit it put a pretty big smile on my face. I've since tried out several other types and in my price range I think the 870 is still what I want to go with...that said HOLY OPTIONS BATMAN!

My primary use will be clay shooting, but I want it as a home defense gun as well. Something I need to take into consideration is that my house has somewhat narrow hallways, so I don't think I want to go out to a full size barrel..and the other question is do I want a rifled barrel? I definitely want to be able to toss slugs down range as well.

I have no problem admitting my own incompetence here and if anyone would be kind enough to help educate me I would appreciate it. So far I think I'm pretty sure I want to get the 12 gauge express combo kit w/the 26 inch vent rib and the 20 inch rifled barrel. Does that sound compatible with what I want to do?

Oh, and no pistol grip, I just plain don't like it.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I basically was in the same situation. What I did was..

I found a new never shot 870 on arms list.

It came with a 28 inch barrel perfect for clay targets.

I bought separately a 20 inch barrel that I keep for HD.

You can buy another separate barrel if you want to shoot slugs.

I chose to just buy rifled slugs for the smooth barrel and it works great.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    For most trap shooting, especially for a beginner, a 20 inch smooth bore 12 gauge in a HD configuration will do the trick.

What better way to become totally comfortable with the shottie that might save your life someday? Every defensive shotgun class I have taken included a session of thrown clay pigeons.

If you decide to get serious about trap shooting, the combo guns won't cut the mustard in that arena, for sure.

JMO. Based on lots of years training with the big guage in SD mode and some trap shooting experience.

hick185

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    i have an 870. I use it for skeet, deer, cars, whatever lol... i have run the crap out of mine. I have the 26" smooth bore barrel with bead site and with just a regular rifled slug it can hit the bull's eye very precisely on a 50 yard range. unless you need rifle precision at longer ranges you shouldn't need the rifled barrel. I have found that with the layout of my house i have difficulty with the length for home defense use. luckily i do have other options. if i had to use it, could i? you betcha i could. I have a hard time typing what i want to say so i don't think i'll be much help for you, though i'm sure others can answer you questions better. If not search the forum there is alot of info here.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Thank you for the food for thought so far. I've been reading and researching as much as I can. I'm not destitute but my gun budget isn't too huge, so I want to make sure I get it right the first time if possible.

releo 37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    They also make an 870 with a 21 vent rib with rem choke tubes. This should do 99% of what you want. You still should be able to shot slugs and clay type sports with no problems

dsb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Cant go wrong with 870. Im not sure what kind of clay shooting you are planning on doing (trap, skeet, sporting clays or just screwing around in the backyard) some of these clay sports throw doubles so if your budget allows you might consider a SemiAuto.

cwagner1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Just get a standard 26 or 28" version. You can find really nice mcondition used ones for cheap. Use this configuration for shooting clays. If you can, find a nice used older wingmaster. They're very nice shotguns.

Then buy an 18 or 20" barrel for home defense. The barrels are super easy to change.

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I agree with cwagner, the Wingmaster may be harder to find, but if you do see one snag it. They are the next grade up in the Remington line and can still be fitted with a variety of barrels.

Just get a standard 26 or 28" version. You can find really nice mcondition used ones for cheap. Use this configuration for shooting clays. If you can, find a nice used older Wingmaster. They're very nice shotguns.

Then buy an 18 or 20" barrel for home defense. The barrels are super easy to change.

David71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Has anyone had any experience with the Winchester 12g Super X Pump Defender?...does it stack up to the Remington 870 or not so much?...looked at one the other day in the store and was simply curious...always good to hear others input

cwagner1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Always heard they're jamomatics. Those, and the cz pump guns.

Only mainstream pumps I'd look at are the benelli, Remington, and mossberg. And out of those, I think the Remington is the best for reliability.

There's a reason everyone and their grandmother has an 870.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    There's the 870, and the 870 Express.

The Express model has a plastic trigger group, and some features that are less polished, or rougher in finish. If the two were located for about the same price (in similar condition), I'd skip the Express, and buy the standard, or 870 Police model.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Rem 870

Have used 870's as duty weapons for over 30 years, have seen thousands of them on the firing line as a tactical/LE instructor.....have seen 870's at the academy level that have shot hundreds of thousands of rounds of buck and slug thru them with the same guns being in service for decades......and they were still functional with a minimum of armorer's attention.....look at what the professionals use when it comes to pump guns.....the 870 is the king of that hill by a huge margin.....and there is a reason for that with the Mossberg platform running a distant second. Plus, as you have found there are endless accessories out there and you can "dress up" the 870 as you see fit.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There's the 870, and the 870 Express.

The Express model has a plastic trigger group, and some features that are less polished, or rougher in finish. If the two were located for about the same price (in similar condition), I'd skip the Express, and buy the standard, or 870 Police model.

Older Express have alloy trigger housing, and even barrels with detents on the ring ;)

I vote for buying pre-Cerberus 870, regardless of model.

Have had 3 Special Fields, 1 Special Purpose, 4 Express, 3 Express Supermagnum, 1 Police and 4 Wingmasters (3 of them magnums).

Not a problem with any of them, and all older models.

BTW, the old Police Magnums with polished finish and walnut vertical slot forends (or corncob) are the cooler ones :)

picture.php

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I have had both 870s in 12ga and 20ga and mossbergs. For me, the 870 is just more solid. Never had one issue with mine but did have a few smaller issues with my mossbergs.

As far as the gun, you said your primarily intersted in clays and home defense. I am not sure i would waste the money on the combo. You don't really want a 20 inch rifled barrel for home defense. Its made to shoot sabot slugs for deer hunting. You should google shot out of rifled barrel and read the tests. I even watched a show on it once upon a time about how much the rifling spins the shot and how bad the accuracy can be.

I would buy the 870 express with the 26 or 28 inch standard express and look to pickup the 18.5 inch HD barrel. This is what I do, i use my 26 inch field barrel for pheasant and turkey hunting. When its at home i swap the barrel in about 1 minute and its ready to go.

I just know you will be way over paying to get a combo with a rifled barrel which won't be the ideal barrel for your HD needs. Read the test below. I think you could get your ideal combo for under 400.00 bucks by piecing it together.

The Box O' Truth #43 - Buckshot in a Rifled Shotgun Barrel - Page 1

danatkins

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    heed what clfergus said i had a 20 inch rifled barrel and at 10 yards only got one pellet on a standard cardboard silhouette u can usually find a good deal for a used 870 at pawnshops

Top Bottom