• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Where I live, the only two options for internet are Cell or Satellite. Since we live within a mile of a VZW in a low traffic we opted for that route. So we either use a 7730L mifi or our cellphones hot-spotted for internet around the house. It works well enough for us. Where I need help is getting a signal to my barn. It is roughly 200' from the house. I only need enough of a signal to be able to monitor the status of my standby generator and overhead door. Both of which have WiFi. I can switch out the mifi for an adroid or iphone to thether if needed. There is nothing ran, but can run coax, cat-5, or anything else to the barn easy enough...

What say you Ingo? Anyone have an idea or solution to what I've got going on?

Thanks,
    R

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    If you can run an Ethernet cable to the building, I would go that route.
    Put a wifi access point in the building, then connect to a switch back at the house.

Does your cell hot spot have an Ethernet connection, or is it just wifi?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sorry, just saw this. I got you covered. You need a set of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nan...e=UTF8&qid=1532564210&sr=8-3&keywords=loco+m5

I can send you config files to upload. (EDIT: Maybe. I think I still have a set at the office, and they would have to be the same board type this place sends... there are two types so its a crap shoot)

If you are not at all computer savvy, this isnt a horrible deal for preconfigured ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Loc...e=UTF8&qid=1532564210&sr=8-4&keywords=loco+m5

the setup is actually pretty easy. If you were closer I'd offer to come help.

EDIT: This is a previous generation device, and is slower than the current models. Its slower but cheaper than current options. But based on what you wanted, it will serve your purpose just fine.

This is the current model which is faster.
    https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Nan...F8&qid=1532569398&sr=1-7&keywords=NS-5ACL(US)

But you need to add two of these
    Ubiquiti 24 Volt POE Gbit | POE-24-12W-G (cant find these exact ones on amazon)

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and with the right gear, you can get a wireless bridge that will connect to the hotspot as a client and convert the signal to an ethernet cable to drive traditional network gear like wifi APs, switches, desktop PCs, etc.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Oh, and with the right gear, you can get a wireless bridge that will connect to the hotspot as a client and convert the signal to an ethernet cable to drive traditional network gear like wifi APs, switches, desktop PCs, etc.

That's sort of where I was going....

Mr. Monkey, I have a pair of Ubiquity Powerbeams being installed tomorrow.
    https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/powerbeam-ac-gen2/
    It's our first time using their products.
    Hoping for 400Mbs across the 5.8Ghz link.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's sort of where I was going....

Mr. Monkey, I have a pair of Ubiquity Powerbeams being installed tomorrow.
    https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/powerbeam-ac-gen2/
    It's our first time using their products.
    Hoping for 400Mbs across the 5.8Ghz link.

You wont quite get there. ACTUAL throughput is closer to 300 most likely. Still nothing to sneeze at. Now if you want serious speed, Airfiber. DAAAAYUM! Im getting 750 actual across my 1/4 mile hop using the AF24s.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Thanks for the replies... Currently the hotspot is acting as a router for our home network. If there is a better solution for the house, I'm all for it. I'm usually fairly adept at working with computers. Better with windows, and get by with a mac.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks for the replies... Currently the hotspot is acting as a router for our home network. If there is a better solution for the house, I'm all for it. I'm usually fairly adept at working with computers. Better with windows, and get by with a mac.
    You can configure one of these in client mode to connect to your hotspot wifi. then connect it to a network and use other wifi access points and wired switches to tie in the rest of the gear.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wire...id=1532571949&sr=1-3&keywords=wireless+bridge

Gotta be careful. Too much stuff that auto connects to your hotspot could lead to overages.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    So my hotspot to the TP-link, the TP-link to a router, and the router to the Ubiquiti Nanostation LOCO M5's?

Can I tether to a router and remove a device?

Not worried about overages. It's an unlimited plan that slows down to 3g after 15gigs.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Jetpack doesnt have a wired ethernet port. The TPlink creates that.

See if this helps clear it up.

TP link is configured as a client, doing the exact opposite of the jetpack as an Access Point (AP). Or you replace the jetpack with a modem/hotspot that has an ethernet port, but those are pricey like a Cradlepoint router at 10x the cost.

My crude drawing. Not embedded to save bandwidth for you hotspotters and satellite folks. http://www.kd9uri.com/pics/IMG_4416_sm.JPG

Your wifi still connects to the jetpack in the house, when you go to the garage they would connect to the new AP out there. (or use their own cell data if it has it)

And if you dont have any wired-only ethernet devices like a PC, you can omit the data switch and connect directly to the TPLink.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Okay that picture makes sense... The mifi we have doesn't have an ethernet port, but it can tether through a USB connection.

That's only helpful if you're connecting it to a computer. Routers don't understand USB networking. The purpose of monkey's suggested setup it to keep from overloading your mifi. They aren't really setup to network an entire house. The tp link and other consumer router/access points can do that job though.

Ideally you would want a single device connecting to the mifi providing internet access and another handling all the house networking.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Wow, that seemed to work really well.

I need a SI swimsuit model. ;) Preferably one with loose morals and an affinity for old, fat guys.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    That's only helpful if you're connecting it to a computer. Routers don't understand USB networking. The purpose of monkey's suggested setup it to keep from overloading your mifi. They aren't really setup to network an entire house. The tp link and other consumer router/access points can do that job though.

Ideally you would want a single device connecting to the mifi providing internet access and another handling all the house networking.

10-4, now I follow. Thanks guys!

Top Bottom