I need ideas on how to stop a dog from digging...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Last year my neighbors got a new dog, and he likes to dig. Maybe it's because they got a large breed dog that is very active but they don't give him the attention and exercise he needs, I'm not really sure the reason, but he's found that our landscaping is the perfect place to dig.

I've approached the neighbor about, they said they'd try to keep him locked up more often etc etc, but it still happens. All it takes is 10 minutes he's outside that they aren't paying attention and our landscaping is destroyed yet again.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I'd go to just about any length to stop this non-sense... other than kill the dog... But I don't have any ideas... everything I read online says to incorporate a "digging area" into your landscape that is more attractive to the dog than other areas of the landscape. That isn't happening... especially for a dog that isn't mine...

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Shoot him

(kidding)

I think you've done just about all you can. You've talked to the neighbor. I say I it happens again get the landscaping fixed professionally and send a bill.

People have an amazing way of fixing things that get expensive.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Go start digging a bunch of holes in your neighbors yard every time their dog digs up yours. Tell them it'll stop when they can control their dog. The dog is just being a dog...the owners are well, as you said...not really doing much to stop it.

EH91KY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    My beagle digs from time to time. You can put down black pepper and it might make the dog stop digging in that spot until it rains.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just to add, I like my neighbors, they may not be perfect neighbors, but they are definitely good neighbors and I don't want to burn any bridges in any way...

I'm not going to dig holes in their yard, or give them a bill from a landscape company. They try to repair the damage when it happens, but the the fact that it is still happening is the main problem.

Will ammonia or ly-sol harm/kill landscape plants?

I'm ok if it stops the digging only in this spot, this is the only spot he's obsessed with digging in. I'm sure there is something about the dirt there that he just likes to dig in...

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    An ex girlfriend had an old cat that liked to pee in the houseplants. I placed a couple of mouse traps in the pots and after the second time (Dumb cat) he never went near the houseplants again. I was glad when the cat moved out but i kinda missed the old girl after a few days. PS the mouse traps were not the reason she moved out.

I think they might work well in your situation. Should not hurt a large breed dog sure did not hurt that old cat.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    To be honest, the problem isn't the dog - it's the neighbors. They may be nice people, but that doesn't change that they're irresponsible dog owners.

Maybe put up a fence? Not sure what you could do that would resolve it that wouldn't somehow be a dick move.

doubleshock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    hamilton county
    Call animal control....that's what they are being paid to do by your tax money. Most pet problems are not really the animal's fault....it's normally a human owner's problem.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Electric or invisable fence, shock collar, boots on dogs front feet, have a serious talk with the neigbors, how hard could it be to teather the animal when you can watch it.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Is the dog digging upder a fence? If so then go help your neighbor dig a trench six inches deep and about a foot or eighteen inches back from the fence. Line the trench with heavy duty chicken wire.

Cover it back up. The dog will give up digging because the chicken wire will hurt his feet. You get the dog to stop digging and keep a good neighbor.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I live in a "semi-rural" area... no fence to contain the dog... I'm not interested in having a serious talk with the neighbor, or calling animal control, or shooting the neighbor's dog. The dog is a puppy, and I know all too well how quickly dogs can disappear. I have 2 dogs of my own that occasional run over to the neighbors property. We're both ok with the dogs crossing the property lines, but the digging has to stop. My wife is going to try the ammonia or cayenne pepper trick to see if that stops it...

Top Bottom