• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    hi guys, i need alot of fishing help. For years i fished but with live bait and from a dock, this years i want to go out and do more with fake baits. Trouble is i dont know anything about fake bait. What to use when? and how deep? what color? how does weather and sun come into play? i yi yi yi please help signed
    desperate in waters

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sorry sparky, I'm not much help. I've used artificials and still do occasionally, but I'm mostly a live bait fisherman too. Just remember that most fishing lures are made to catch fishermen. :): There are so many variables... species, water condition, time of year, time of day, sunny or cloudy, etc., etc., etc.. Too much thinking for me!

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    :):......Artificials?.......BIG world!.....hahaha.....:):......lot'sa variables.....
    start out with 'is dude.....
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hank+parker+fishing

and 'is dude.......
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bill+dance+fishing

If yer in'a hurry....start out with spinner baits/crankbaits.......plastics, an' jigs are a 'finnesse' bait......lot'a ways ta fish'em.
    My basic rule.....dark baits fer dark(muddy, stain'd, murky) water(s)......bright baits fer clear'r water......

good luck.....:yesway:
    Oh......it'll git x'spensive.....quik.......:):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    :):......Artificials?.......BIG world!.....hahaha.....:):......lot'sa variables.....
    start out with 'is dude.....
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hank+parker+fishing

and 'is dude.......
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bill+dance+fishing

If yer in'a hurry....start out with spinner baits/crankbaits.......plastics, an' jigs are a 'finnesse' bait......lot'a ways ta fish'em.
    My basic rule.....dark baits fer dark(muddy, stain'd, murky) water(s)......bright baits fer clear'r water......

good luck.....:yesway:
    Oh......it'll git x'spensive.....quik.......:):

That's why I said most fishing lures are meant to attract fishermen! ;)

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I knew nothing on the subject but spent some time in Walmarts fishing section and learned a lot by looking at the different packaging and directions. Looks like with the generic looking fake worms which look like real ones you use a deeper hook and put the worm longways through the hook, this makes the fish bit onto the hook and also allows the hook to flow through moss and crap that would normally stop it. Spend some time at Dicks or Walmart and you will gather lots of info.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    I knew nothing on the subject but spent some time in Walmarts fishing section and learned a lot by looking at the different packaging and directions. Looks like with the generic looking fake worms which look like real ones you use a deeper hook and put the worm longways through the hook, this makes the fish bit onto the hook and also allows the hook to flow through moss and crap that would normally stop it. Spend some time at Dicks or Walmart and you will gather lots of info.
    i did that at cabelas the other day but i still dont understand when to use certain baits. i think i may have left there with more questions than answers

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'll try to help a bit. As I see it, there are 5 main types of lures: Top water, crank/chatter baits, soft plastics, spinnerbaits and jigs. There are many different "sub-species" if you will, but most artificial lures can be classified into these categories. When I spin-fished, I would mainly use soft plastics and top water, just simply because I hated pulling off the muck that got caught on the hooks of the cranks, jigs and spinners.

Top water: These are made to imitate frogs, ducks, etc. that bass will feed on. The best time to use these is in the early morning or late evening during the summer. Most of them make loud commotion on the surface that will get the attention of the fish and trigger strikes. This is probably the most fun type of fishing, as you can see the strikes. They will be pretty violent ones as well.

Crank/Chatter: Made to imitate bait fish. Best times vary, but pretty versatile throughout the season. Pretty much if the bass are feeding, you can get strikes with these. Throw it out, reel it in with "jerks" of the rod to imitate bait fish, injured fish, etc.

Soft plastics: Worms, lizards, whatever. Work throughout the season. Can rig them differently, texas, carolina, finesse, wacky, etc. Cast out, wait for it to sink, lift the tip of the rod, pick up the slack, let sink. Rinse repeat.

Spinners: Same as crank/chatter. Made to imitate bait fish. Work season long.

Jigs: Made to imitate creatures in the deep holes (crayfish, etc.). Should work throughout the year. Fished relatively the same as soft plastics.

That should get you started. There are different techniques for each of the lures, and everyone will have an opinion. I would pick up one or two of the "categories" get used to them and catch some fish. Then, when you want, add more.

If I were just starting, I would go with some texas rigged plastic worms and a crank or spinner. Once the summer rolls around, I would pick up some top water lures.

Good luck.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Think like a fish. My dad was a semi-professional fisherman, don't laugh. As a kid I spent everyday on the lake with him. I would get so bored as he worked them Mann worms across calm lake bottoms. I tended to use crank baits or when I got too bored he would always have minnows with us...I would start crappie fishing then.

Anyhow, I don't fish much anymore but I remember a lot he taught me. He always said to think like I was a fish. I can tell you this.

Use crank baits early when water temp is cold...the colder it is the deeper fish will be. You may have to crank the bait hard until it gets down deep, then stop and let it start coming to service before you crank again. That's because the fish are less active and may not "attack" the bait. Once you locate the depth fish are suspended in, present different colors and speed until you find what they like.

Artificial worms are fun but you have to know how to use them and it has to be once water temp is warmer. Dad would cast them out, let em sink then reel line up tight, then just bump your rod up slowly 3-4 times, reel in slack and do it again. When the fish "strikes" you drop rod to water and let the fish tighten line....when line is tight, set the hook.

My favorite artificial lure is a buzz bait in the heat of summer. You reel these as fast as you can, early morning and late evening in shallow water. They work good in lily pads, stumps and logs.

Wish I could tell you more but it has been a long time since I fished a lot. I know now days them guys do a lot of flipping with frogs and other newer baits. I do know water clarity and temp is important to bait selection and presentation can make all the difference.

Best to you.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Artificial lures are fisherman bait. I just get nightcrawlers. Caught a couple of cats with them, bluegills, bigmouth bass, stripers, sunfish, whatever. Never caught a damn thing on a lure. Don't think my dad ever did either.

redfox033

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Newburgh
    I use both live and artificial bait. Don't rule out live bait, that's what most fake bait is trying to look like anyway. But if your just picking up some lures to change it up...
    spinnerbaites-chartruse (sp). Green always does good
    crankbaits
    3" curly tail jig-green or pink, white...ext
    jerk baits--rapala X-rap (clown color). * my go to lure*

i keep about 20 rapala's in my boat at all times!
    But I have caught a 5.5 pound bass on a live minnow when I was 11. He's still on my wall.

Don't rule out live bait!!!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I would start out with a couple of rapala's a top water and a chad rap. A plastic frog for
    lilly pads and some Beatle spins or mepps spinners. Should cover the basics and the Beatle spins can be used to jig with.

Save be the plastic worms till summer.

jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    For extreme beginners I reccomend the rooster tail. Just cast out and reel in. I've ALWAYS caught fish on rooster tails. You will catch just about any type of fish on them too.

A few 1/8 oz rooster tails in a fee different colors shouldtreat you pretty good

Top Bottom