I need some help identifying this muzzle loading shot gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • handgun

Master
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    DSCN0147.jpg

DSCN0144.jpg

DSCN0143.jpg
    DSCN0141.jpg
    DSCN0139.jpg

DSCN0137.jpg

DSCN0156.jpg

DSCN0157.jpg

I did not take these pictures AND Yes i did give my friend what for for looking down the barrel of a black powder muzzle loader/ shot gun..

the barrels are 20mm Smooth bore.. I am at a loss maybe someone might know!!! i think he also stated that the barrels were 46 inches or 47 inches long..somewhere in that ball park in length

Thanks for looking!

handgun

Master
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    man i have been staring at this one, is it just me or is that one word say "REISSUE" ?

I would agree!

Yes I am more than certain that is what it says. I went over to his house to take a look.. And i came to the same conclusion.

I am really thrown off by this. I am not an expert on Black powder/muzzle loaders..

this may not even be a shot gun for its age. But I don't know much about pre 1900 guns.

It looks like an early shot gun to me.. But its hard telling..

i am thrown off what the 218 or 318 is serial number?

I keep staring at the photos.. and i looked long and hard at the gun today with an optical loop.. I couldn't find any other markings. I can't say the gun is in great shape for its age, but all things considered i have seen much worse guns that are just a few years old.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Old shotguns are probably one of the least documented areas of firearms history. They literally came in by the boat loads from all over Europe and we made a huge number here as well. Most were not of high enough quality to stand the test of time and went into the trash heap of history.

There are many possibilities what this old scattergun could be, but I would guess it was in some state's stores (Michigan) to be issued out for civil purposes ie rioting or crime wave. It's not out of the question that it could have been brought to a military muster early in the Civil War and gotten turned in when martial arms became available.

Don't forget that the shotgun was in most instances the most common gun in most areas of this country back then.

Top Bottom