• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I picked up a Kershaw Knockout (Knockout |* Kershaw Knives) at my local pawn shop last week. It was in nearly pristine condition and I got a pretty good deal on it. I like almost everything about the knife, except how gosh darn slick the scales are. The scales are painted 6061-T6 aluminum and slicker than an oil spill on an ice rink, especially on the non-clip side. Is there any good (classy, effective, reasonably priced, non-warranty voiding) way to add some grip to it? All I'm coming up with is skateboard tape, but that seems a bit trashy to me.

Thanks for the help!

1870_profile_1020x400.png

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Stipple? Easy and will make it super grippy.

I'm not terribly artistic. Is stippling pretty easy? I'm guessing there's probably a YouTube video or two on it. You guys got any tips?

It is one thing to stipple a polymer frame firearm (fairly soft material). The handle on this knife is 6061-T6 aircraft aluminum....have fun with that!

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I found a video of a guy stippling the front of the grip on a 1911, it definitely looks like something that requires a feel for what you're doing. I've got a little 6061-T6 lying around that I'll experiment on. But I'm thinking some kind of textured paint will probably get the nod. It's the least permanent and easiest to change if I don't like the look. I'll post an update when it's done, but don't expect it to be too soon or very pretty (that whole lack of artistic talent thing and all).

Any suggestions for prepping the scales before I spray them?

Thanks for all the great ideas guys!

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Any suggestions for prepping the scales before I spray them?

Cover the entire side with a large piece of masking tape, cut lightly with razor blade to expose areas you want the material to stick to.
    (I would go with the raised portions) press the remaining tape down into the grooves and prep the remaining surface by lightly scuffing with a scotchbrite pad.

Have fun.

Top Bottom