• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Got my break barrel Gamo with a scope for $99 at Gander Mountain before the went belly up, and as many pellets as I could carry to the cash register. The gun rid my place in Indiana of chipmunk and starlings out to 40ish yards.

I have a Ruger break barrel springer. It might be accurate if it didn't have such crappy sights on it. They move if you bump them. I've been meaning to get an optic of some sort for it, but it's low on the list of things to buy.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I spent MANY MANY MANY hours in my youth shooting air rifles....and loved it.
    The only difference now is I have more digits in my age.
    I grew up on a farm and shot pump-action .177 caliber air guns for many years...
    Even after getting SA revolvers, rifles, and shotguns, we still continued to use
    .177 pellet guns on pigeons in the barn to save the aluminum roof against
    unnecessary damage!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I grew up on a farm and shot pump-action .177 caliber air guns for many years...
    Even after getting SA revolvers, rifles, and shotguns, we still continued to use
    .177 pellet guns on pigeons in the barn to save the aluminum roof against
    unnecessary damage!
    yep. I had a single pump M16 looking air rifle. It was awesome.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Got my break barrel Gamo with a scope for $99 at Gander Mountain before the went belly up, and as many pellets as I could carry to the cash register. The gun rid my place in Indiana of chipmunk and starlings out to 40ish yards.
    I would assume a decent .22 would easily stretch the distance well out past that.
    I've heard alot of good things about the Benjamin Maurader, someone that knows way more than me about em should be along shortly.
    .177, .22 or .25 , it won't matter 'cause you'll have way more fun than you think.
    What is the model you bought?

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Interesting thread. Very different from shooting my 45-70's or 458 Win Mag!!

Any recommendations for a decent medium priced air rifle? Been thinking I need one for the farm.

When I look at them online there is so much info I can't make any sense out of the advertising.

Don

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    What is the model you bought?

Varmit series, mine has a decent, wood stock and an "upgraded" scope.
    I thought it was a 1,000fps gun, website claims up to1250, either way, It does what I need it to do, pest control, tin can eradication and opens up opportunities to spend time with the grandkids before introducing them to rimfire.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Completely different thread. You should click on it

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Interesting thread. Very different from shooting my 45-70's or 458 Win Mag!!

Any recommendations for a decent medium priced air rifle? Been thinking I need one for the farm.

When I look at them online there is so much info I can't make any sense out of the advertising.

Don
    I understand exactly what you mean.
    Without some guidance & with so many directions to go, it's hard to know where to start. :coffee:
    Prices were all over the place from under $100 to over $1000. :scratch:
    I knew from my early research that I wanted to go with a spring powered & not use CO2 or air pump powered.
    It just seemed so much simpler & I didn't want another hobby with another rabbit hole. :laugh:

May 2021 on INGO someone was selling a $100 Umarex Octane spring airgun
    5.5mm/.22 cal rifle which included a scope & a tin of pellets.
    Convenient.
    I bought it & tried it & was not impressed with it b/c I didn't know how to hold the gun loosely to shoot it accurately, instead of holding it like one of my .22 rifles.

B/C of ammo prices, I got motivated to do more.
    In Oct 2021 on INGO I ran across an older gentleman who knew everything about air guns & had expensive ones.
    I trusted him & realizing he bought good brands & as he was selling some of his less expensive pieces & bought a few, as is my style. :dunno:
    All of these were LNIB, barely shot.
    I don't intend to keep all of them, but it has been fun to shoot them against each other like I do with other calibers.

- 10.2021 - $400 HW35E Weihrauch 4.5mm/.177 cal spring air rifle
    - 10.2021 - $325 HW45 Weihrauch 5.5mm/.22 cal air pistol spring
    - 10.2021 - $200 Diana LP8 Magnum Performance 4.5mm/.177 cal spring air
    - 10.2021 - $200 Air Venturi V10 Match Pistol 4.5mm/.177 cal Single-stroke pneumatic
    (From Spain, a single-stroke pneumatic powered pistol)
    - 11.2021 - $250 HW70 Weihrauch 4.5mm/.177 air pistol

Weihrauch HW 35E .177 air rifle with scope full pic.jpg Weihrauch HW45 pistol.jpg Diana LP 8 Magnum.jpg Air Venturi V10 Match pistol .177 cal 4.5mm left side.jpg Weihrauch HW 70.png

The original $100 Umarex Octane spring airgun 5.5mm/.22 cal rifle that got things started.
    Umarex Octane 5.5mm .22cal spring-powered break barrel long view.jpg

Weihrauch HW35 air rifle on 1.75" circles at 75'.
    Range 01.14.2022 25 yds with scope.jpg

My favorite air pistol, Weihrauch HW45 air pistol on 1.75" circles at 21'.
    The 5.5mm/.22 cal. punches bigger holes than the 4.5/.177 cal pellets.
    Range 6.15.2022 HW45 w8 circles 95% & 90%.jpg

Sample of all 4 air pistols back in February
    1.75" circles at 21'.
    Range 02.23.2022 all 4 at 21ft V10 1st.jpg

The Umarex rifle target that got it all started.
    This is not the original target when I first tried it out & shot different groups depending on how firmly I held the rifle. :wallbash:
    25 yards at 3.75" circles.
    As you can see, it's OK, but not up to the standards of the
    Weihrauch HW35 $400 air rifle (w/scope, rings & rail, $550ish)
    Range 03.08.2022 Four 3.75in circles 10 rds ea.jpg

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    All the enablers in this thread had me looking at options other than PCPs last night, too. I’m thinking of a break barrel now as well. Bunch of turds here, always kicking a man when he’s down… :abused:
    There is nothing "cheap" or bottom-shelf about a spring piston gun. It's more mechanically repeatable than any PCP, although there is a skill factor in learning to hold it loosely. Something like an HW50, or they step up in power level as you go up to HW80, HW90, etc. The HW35 herr Dodd is showing is a nice gun, and the Weihrauches also come with really nice, adjustable open sights that you can hit surprisingly well with, so you may not even need a scope. All you have to buy is the gun. No compressors, tanks, or velocity changing after 30 shots. Just a pump per shot. If you choose one with reasonable cocking force, I think you'll be ahead in the long run.

I find that my guns that require charging tend to sit around more, where the spring piston guns just beg to be picked up for an impromptu session. Pick them up, put them down, done.

Pyramydair will have it on your porch tomorrow.

Lemme know if there's anything else I can help talk you out of...:cool:

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    There is nothing "cheap" or bottom-shelf about a spring piston gun. It's more mechanically repeatable than any PCP, although there is a skill factor in learning to hold it loosely. Something like an HW50, or they step up in power level as you go up to HW80, HW90, etc. The HW35 herr Dodd is showing is a nice gun, and the Weihrauches also come with really nice, adjustable open sights that you can hit surprisingly well with, so you may not even need a scope. All you have to buy is the gun. No compressors, tanks, or velocity changing after 30 shots. Just a pump per shot. If you choose one with reasonable cocking force, I think you'll be ahead in the long run.

I find that my guns that require charging tend to sit around more, where the spring piston guns just beg to be picked up for an impromptu session. Pick them up, put them down, done.

Pyramydair will have it on your porch tomorrow.

Lemme know if there's anything else I can help talk you out of...:cool:

Perhaps I’m about to go through a paradigm shift with spring piston air guns much like I did with Spyderco knives years ago. As a kid, I went to gun shows with my father and spent my share of hard-earned lawn mowing money on cheap Chinese folders with plastic handles and holes in the blades as a means of opening them. I learned over time how poor the quality was in these, and since Spyderco knives looked similar to the knock-offs, I applied the same quality to them in my mind.

Fast forward to my mid-20s and a buddy finally talked me in to trying a Delica. I was blown away but how good the knife was for what I paid for it. I’m a big user of Spydies now.

So maybe I just need to bite the bullet and try a quality springer to experience the same change in my thought process…. :D

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Mods, please move this thread to the air guns forum. That way it will be more tempting for the op to read other threads.

Top Bottom