• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I am now the proud owner of a new Springfield MC 1911 Operator.

Just had a question for you 1911 owners out there. What sort of personal protection rounds do you find work well in your 1911? I've heard that some defense rounds just don't feed well in our 112 year old design.

So my question to you is what DOES work in it? Right now I have a bunch of SPEER 230g JHPs.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I run Speer Gold Dots as well. They feed in every 1911 I've tried them in. That runs from as small as a Kimber Ultra up to a Springfield full size. If you do find a gun that does not like them, you could carry Hornady Critical Defense in .45. The profile on those is pretty close to an FMJ round.

BTW, congrats on the new gun!

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    This post has repeated so often even I can remember.
    230 grain hard ball, .45acp, its heavy wide and slow but hits like a train. I've never been able to convience myself that I need anything more. The important thing about a 1911 is you have to hit what you are aiming for. Practice until you don't miss.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have been researching this myself lately. Wilson Combat recommends a hollow point design similar to that of traditional ball. Apparently some of the newer designs were developed around the idea of them being used in pistols other then the 1911. The 1911 sort of bounces the front of the bullet off the feed ramp. So wide mouthed hollow points and the critical defense with the polymer tip might cause a problem. Wilson mentioned Golden Sabers and Hornady XTPs as being reliable. It was also mentioned that 230 grain loads generally run good in 5" guns while the lighter < 200 grain stuff might be more suitable for commander sized guns. I am typing this from memory. This information is a couple years old and there may be something more current. (Edit: This is all stuff I have digested in researching the topic and looking through the materials provided by Wilson Combat. So take it for what it is, not an endorsement for any particular type of ammunition.)

I bought a box of Federal HST to try. But have not shot any hollow point ammunition in my 1911 yet. Main thing is to try your ammo in your gun. I have found that guns tend to have the most feeding problems with the cartridges at the top and bottoms of the magazines. For example I have a 9mm 1911 that hung up the very top round of a 115 speer gold dot. So I ruled that loading out for that gun without ever firing a shot.

Don't get hung up on the "street performance" of a particular bullet design. Choose a quality design that is reliable and accessible for purchase. Go with it. First criteria for a defensive cartridge is that it has to function in the gun.

Last edited:

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I run Speer Gold Dots as well. They feed in every 1911 I've tried them in. That runs from as small as a Kimber Ultra up to a Springfield full size. If you do find a gun that does not like them, you could carry Hornady Critical Defense in .45. The profile on those is pretty close to an FMJ round.

BTW, congrats on the new gun!
    Thanks! That's really good to know cuz I have a bunch of SPEER rds.

This post has repeated so often even I can remember.
    230 grain hard ball, .45acp, its heavy wide and slow but hits like a train. I've never been able to convience myself that I need anything more. The important thing about a 1911 is you have to hit what you are aiming for. Practice until you don't miss.

I would agree that .45 ball ammo is most likely adequate for defense. However, I'm not looking for "adequate". I'm looking for "gives me the best chance possible". Moreover the JHPs give me a slightly lower chance of over penetration.....though not much. (In my ideal world a JHP would expand really large and come to a stop just under the skin of the back of your assailent...oh fairy tales)

And I practice till I don't miss with all my guns :)

I have been researching this myself lately. Wilson Combat recommends a hollow point design similar to that of traditional ball. Apparently some of the newer designs were developed around the idea of them being used in pistols other then the 1911. The 1911 sort of bounces the front of the bullet off the feed ramp. So wide mouthed hollow points and the critical defense with the polymer tip might cause a problem. Wilson mentioned Golden Sabers and Hornady XTPs as being reliable. It was also mentioned that 230 grain loads generally run good in 5" guns while the lighter < 200 grain stuff might be more suitable for commander sized guns. I am typing this from memory. This information is a couple years old and there may be something more current. (Edit: This is all stuff I have digested in researching the topic and looking through the materials provided by Wilson Combat. So take it for what it is, not an endorsement for any particular type of ammunition.)

Don't get hung up on the "street performance" of a particular bullet design. Choose a quality design that is reliable and accessible for purchase. Go with it. First criteria for a defensive cartridge is that it has to function in the gun.

This is very true. I would give that advice to everyone.

Thanks so much guys for your advice!

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Remember this isn't the EXACT same design, and the feed ramp profile has been changed to reliably feed HP rounds. You may find some compact 1911s that still have issues, but if a gov't or commander size 1911 won't feed a HP send it back under warranty.

I have a loaded and have ran every major brand HP through it in testing. Its fed everything. Hydrashocks, Ranger SXTs, Gold Dots, Golden Sabers, etc.

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    I have yet to have a 1911 that had a problem with feeding and this includes my own reloads with SWC lead bullets shooting ipsc matches. The best advice I have is to pick a bullet style you like and go shoot 1-2 hundred of them.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I use the Hornady Critical Defense rounds in both my 1911's and in my XDs. Zero feeding problems. Whomever told you defense rounds don't feed well in 1911 likely doesn't own one. Gunshop commandos - geeze.

Top Bottom