I notified, and I'm ready for the argument!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I think that most officers look for people who are honest to them (my opinion). I shared this with Titanium Frost a while ago. The average people that officers run into are very vauge and appear to be hiding things. We don't have time to stop and tale to the likes of most people on this website. I have talked to rmabry numerous times. He is a good person with responsibilities and professional abilities out the wazoo.

I have to care and worry more about things crime related, not whether you have an ltch or not. Like I told TF, to me it shows responsibility.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    And yes, once the Larry is shown, all inquiry stops.

I'm sure it's been posted before, but can anybody show me the ic for this if it's true?

For the Leo's... They insisted that I was wrong about this, so why DIDN'T they take my gun from ? Also, one of their reasons they said they wanted to was to "run the numbers to make sure it's not stolen", so why did they not ask to see my ltch?

I'm also kind of surprised they didn't notice my range bag on the passenger seat that had another 3 guns in it.

And of course, they would never know about the b.u.g. I had small of back!:D

Oh yeah, I also had a .22 rifle laying in between the seats!!!

Last edited:

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have never been pulled over while carrying. However if I was I think I would inform. Not because I believe I have to but just to be as helpful as I can so myself and the officer can move on to the next thing we have to do for the day. I would however agree with you and not hand over my firearm. This discussion has been had on here a few times before and the holster is the safest place for it to be.
    On the "make sure its not stolen". I wonder how often the police find somebody with a LTCH carrying a stolen gun. I would assume it is very rare if it has ever happened.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I'm sure it's been posted before, but can anybody show me the ic for this if it's true?

For the Leo's... They insisted that I was wrong about this, so why DIDN'T they take my gun from ? Also, one of their reasons they said they wanted to was to "run the numbers to make sure it's not stolen", so why did they not ask to see my ltch?

I'm also kind of surprised they didn't notice my range bag on the passenger seat that had another 3 guns in it.

Just because they insist doesn't make them right! They are trained to get you to give up your rights voluntarily.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

It isn't IC it is case law, specifically Richardson and Washington. Do a quick search for them and you will have hours of reading ahead of you. The best I can figure cops try the old "run the numbers" routine because it appeals to people who dislike crime and have high morals or like to prove they are legal. Just like they get people the show their LTCH on their own property or show your Drivers License when you aren't legally obligated. Rifles shouldn't draw any attention at all since you don't even need to have a license to carry them. And any issue I have had with cops they ignore any possibility of additional weapons. My wife is always armed and I also have multiple guns in my vehicles. This could be too many reasons to name but it seems typical that they develop blinders.

On the "make sure its not stolen". I wonder how often the police find somebody with a LTCH carrying a stolen gun. I would assume it is very rare if it has ever happened.

Like gun control this has little to do with guns and all to do with control. It is a way to detain you further and get more evidence for later use. (IMO of course)

3steps

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    NWI
    "I also told him that I understand completely why he wants to, and that from what I've read, after I show him my ltch, all inquiries about the gun should cease!"

Great use of language... You stated how you saw things from his point of view. That creates a bond between the two of you. It implies respect.

Then you could have told him he was wrong. Instead you told him your belief. Again this implies respect.

+1000 for you

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    They insisted that I was wrong about this, so why DIDN'T they take my gun?
    LEOs are known to lie and to also not know the law. Last Tuesday we held our presidential primary election here in MI where one citizen was detained for open carrying while voting. He told the cops it was legal for him to open carry a handgun while voting, even though it was a school. The cops told him he was wrong and wanted to arrest him. Eventually they let him go.

Same thing: why didn't they take his gun?

Shortly thereafter the Michigan State Police said on record that the local LEOs were wrong and the citizen was perfectly legal. The cops and school district are trying to cover their ass real fast here because they lied and violated a number of laws during this encounter.

1. they unlawfully detained a citizen while voting or coming to or from a polling place, a violation of the election law, and likely a second election law as well
    2. school representative barred the citizen from entering the school again, even to vote (can't do that, also a civil rights violation)
    3. mandated the citizen vote by absentee ballot from now on, also against the law (there are strict rules about who is eligible to vote absentee)
    4. said they were only checking to make sure he had a CPL (concealed LTCH to you) which you need to open carry in a "pistol free zone." This is a lie because they still referred the case to the prosecutor to see if they could get the guy on anything. If they were only checking for a valid CPL, they found out he had one and that should have been the end of it after two minutes.
    5. for failing to uphold the laws of the state, the LEOs themselves were guilty of a misdemeanor and probably another civil rights violation

There are a few other things that don't immediately pop to mind.

A guy I know was arrested (detained) for a long time by cops here for open carrying while riding a bicycle, telling him he was illegal, etc. After a lengthy temporary arrest they finally cited him for not having a bicycle license. The audio of this encounter has been posted online. Needless to say the judge threw the case out of court and yelled at the officer for citing the guy for a law that didn't exist.

I could go on, but yes, cops lie, and they will lie to you.

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I don't notify. I think most officers appreciate those that follow the speed limits and laws.

No need to notify if you don't get pillows over.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    You can open carry into a school, period. He just happened to be voting so there are other law violations by the LEOs here.

I'm not doubting you as I don't know a lot about MI law, but I thought the "Gun Free School Zone Act" or whatever it's officially called was a federal law?

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    I'm not doubting you as I don't know a lot about MI law, but I thought the "Gun Free School Zone Act" or whatever it's officially called was a federal law?
    IN is somewhat similar, you can drive onto school property to pick up your child, but you cannot exist your vehicle. MI has a statute that prohibits CC in the school (but you can CC on the property), so OC is perfectly legal if you have CPL.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    I thought the "Gun Free School Zone Act" or whatever it's officially called was a federal law?

The federal Gun Free School Zone Act says...

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located
    or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

stewballs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    When they run your drivers license, does it show that you have a handgun license or if you ever purchased a gun. With all the background checks does their computer system have that infromation? Does anyone know?

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    When they run your drivers license, does it show that you have a handgun license or if you ever purchased a gun. With all the background checks does their computer system have that infromation? Does anyone know?

Just recently it now does in Indiana. It will show if you have an LTCH or not. This has been verified by several of our resident LEO's.

It will not show anything about if you've ever purchased a gun or not. :tinfoil:

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    The federal Gun Free School Zone Act says...

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located
    or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

Thank you.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Very interesting indeed... I hope to never be pulled over - but if I ever am - I know a little more about how to handle the situation. I've been trying to search up on the duty to inform, what happens when your hand over your LTCH, refusing to hand over your gun, etc... There are SO many threads here it's a lot of work - but I'll get through it :).

Top Bottom