I really messed up and stripped the screw.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    I was removing the rear sight on my m&p 40 and while trying to remove the set screw I stripped it. I'm not the original owner of this gun and it has some aftermarket sights on it. When I tried to remove the screw with a 1/16 hex I thought it felt like it was turning but I was just rounding off the corners the end of the tool was covered with metal shavings.
    What do I do now? I considered using a screw extractor but I don't want to damage the slide. Should I take it to a gun smith? And if so who is recommended on the west side of Indy?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Any chance you have a spare/scrap torx bit that you can tap in there for extra leverage? That works every now and then.

You're in Avon, and I'm sure it wouldn't take AllenM very long to drill the thing out

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd recommend contacting Allen as well. If he is too busy currently, you might check with Bradis. While they don't have a gun smith onsite, they do have folks that are M&P Armorers, and they might have dealt with this in the past.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    its pretty easy with just a hand held drill. there is nothing critical underneath the set screw on those. Smith lately has been stripping them from the factory as well as putting red loctite in there. Unfortunately that means those of us that change sights regularly get pretty good at drilling them out.

Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    AllenM saves the day. He had the screw milled out and the sight off of the slide in 5 min. I followed his advice and heated the remainder of the screw up with a soldering iron and was able to get the pieces out and salvage the the threads.
    Allen is the man.

Top Bottom