• Was this a self defense shooting?

• Total voters

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I say it was not self defence if he chased them into the alley. It seems like he shot her as she was running away, she was down, he walked up and she pleaded for her life, and he murdered her.

I doubt any charges will be filed.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    It doesn't sound like cut and dry self defense but when people prey on the elderly they deserve what they get.

Sorry but if you lead a thug life you should anticipate dying a thug death.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    By the definition of defense generally accepted in the present, it would be a hard sell. I would also point out that this way of thinking explains why we have so much trouble with two-legged pieces of sh*t like this engaging in thuggery. Prior to the progressive movement taking root, the man would have been appreciated for taking care of a necessary problem which is not going to be a problem for the next person and we wouldn't be having this conversation even if the communication resources now available were available then.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The moment you chase after them, it's no longer self defense. *opinion*
    Unless of course the bad guy gets in a car and tries to run you over because you were dumb enough to stand in the street in the way of his exit.

It likely doesn't meet the legal definition of self defense, but I have always thought limiting the righteousness of of a shoot to such a narrow definition was unfortunate. I wouldn't convict. But I am a firm believer of natural consequences.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    They broke in and attacked him, so technically it's self defense in the house.
    Wher he failed was following them out into the alley. Then it becomes murder.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    To me , if he has to chase them down to shoot one of them it's not self defense anymore but I wouldn't convict him either .

Also , I think what Kirk often says fits nicely here " Keep your bacon hole shut " .

The homeowner shouldn't be talking to anybody about what the intruder said .

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If you are dumb enough to break into someone's home, especially the elderly, all games are off. I understand the law, but there is too much protection for criminals in my opinion. JUST STAY OUT OF PEOPLES' HOMES AND EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE.

As for the OP's question, it is not self defense, but...

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Unless of course the bad guy gets in a car and tries to run you over because you were dumb enough to stand in the street in the way of his exit.

It likely doesn't meet the legal definition of self defense, but I have always thought limiting the righteousness of of a shoot to such a narrow definition was unfortunate. I wouldn't convict. But I am a firm believer of natural consequences.

Exactly where I went to myself! Maybe if they'd gotten into a car after being chased..........yeah, that's the ticket, that would make it OK!

But concerning this instance I have little remorse for those that break into homes! Sorry but if you break into someones home,YOU LOSE!

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    *My opinion*
    At this point: ""She says, 'Don't shoot me, I'm pregnant! I'm going to have a baby!'" She was no longer a threat (more likely even before that point). That means " And I shot her anyway," Greer said." is a pretty clear confession that he's guilty of at least manslaughter if not downright murder (IANAL).

In the end she played a stupid game and won a stupid prize. I don't feel sorry for her, but I also don't think it is right to chase someone down and execute them. Defend yourselves, by all means, but don't put yourself in a bad situation by chasing someone down. :twocents:

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    If someone(s) broke into my sainted aunt Hazel's house and pushed her down, they better finish the job because she's coming up with a coach gun. They better run AND hope she can't get them back in range. I would not convict.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It'll be intersting to see how this plays out both in real life and here on INGO. Just a few days ago there was a story about a retired cop that essentially did the same thing.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...m-robbery-shoots-suspect-possible-lesson.html

IIRC the vast majority said good shoot although it was also brought up that many thought that if the shooter had been John Q Public he would be charged. So let's see how it works out.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Pregnant? What was the dumb B!+€h doing breaking in to homes? Play stupid games, win stupid prizes! Homeowner is a right and true moron, and it's going to cost him the rest of his years!

Top Bottom